Maskless is Dangerous!

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

^This is what regular masks are made for. Larger particulate matter like dust and pollen. Though when those N95 masks, even with the valve, get moisture laden, it does become a chore to breath. Need constant changing in the summer humid months.
I got one of those cheap plastic face shields for cutting metal, best thing I ever wore to keep the shaving gas out of my face. I also wear it when weed whacking now too.

black dog

Free America
The powers that be freaked out after that one student study, now nobody is allowed to wear a gaiter, I asked if I could cut it in half and turn into a mask if it would be ok, I got the stink eye.
People are stupid, A few weeks back I had a plant supervisor remind one of us to wear his mask.
While telling him he had dicknose hanging out of the top of his mask...lol
I like the gators because if i'm in a dusty area or i'm grinding I can easily double or triple up on the layers to filter my air.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Let me point out that the Japanese have their own Covid problem. If masks really worked to prevent transmission, there wouldn't be a single case in Japan. As it stands, they have roughly the same per capita rate of infection and death that we do.

But I point out the obvious all the time and everyone ignores me. It's pretty annoying.

You must have nuked Sapidus off of the Forums ..... I wanted to drop this on one of his many posts about Japanese Masking and Low Covid Numbers

Japanese hospitals on brink of ‘collapse’ with beds & ventilators running out just eight weeks before Olympics

Clem72

Let me point out that the Japanese have their own Covid problem. If masks really worked to prevent transmission, there wouldn't be a single case in Japan. As it stands, they have roughly the same per capita rate of infection and death that we do.

But I point out the obvious all the time and everyone ignores me. It's pretty annoying.

Quick googlage tells me 5% of the US takes public transit, while it's around 60% for Japan (closer to 90% in cities). I have said from the start being shoved into a moving metal box (recirculated air) with a bunch of strangers is likely the number one cause of the spread (which is why large cities have higher rates than rural towns regardless of mask compliance).

Masks might help, and in Japan they might help a lot, but we can't tell because there are other variables in play that have a much greater impact.

To clarify, using bullshit numbers I made up, if the bog standard rate of infection with normal exposure and zero precautions were 10%, and masks reduced that by half (5%), but mass transit tripled your exposure (15%) you would be worse off wearing a mask in a big city using mass transit then just going about your life in a small town. Doesn't mean those in the big city shouldn't wear masks.

TPD

the poor dad
I have said from the start being shoved into a moving metal box (recirculated air) with a bunch of strangers is likely the number one cause of the spread

Which is why 99% of the cases here in the US is from airplanes right?

Clem72

Which is why 99% of the cases here in the US is from airplanes right?

Hey shet for brains, please remind me what percentage of the population has been travelling on airplanes the last year? And how rigorous is the screening process for air travel vs busses/trains/subways?

Don't bother answering, I know your family hasn't stepped foot out of bumblefÜk, MD since they consecrated the grounds at St. Ignatius church.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Hey shet for brains, please remind me what percentage of the population has been travelling on airplanes the last year? And how rigorous is the screening process for air travel vs busses/trains/subways?

Don't bother answering, I know your family hasn't stepped foot out of bumblefÜk, MD since they consecrated the grounds at St. Ignatius church.
I flew twice. Never got sick. :sshrug:

Grumpy

DaSDGuy

When I ask why masks were not required around the immunocompromised before COVID I receive death stares.

Kinnakeet

I have flown 2-3 times this year 1x last year never wear my mask or wear it correct been around people who had the so called virus and have never came down with anything so I find it hard to believe that the mask works or would work.
I find it hard to believe any of this corona nonsense

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Quick googlage tells me 5% of the US takes public transit, while it's around 60% for Japan (closer to 90% in cities). I have said from the start being shoved into a moving metal box (recirculated air) with a bunch of strangers is likely the number one cause of the spread (which is why large cities have higher rates than rural towns regardless of mask compliance).

Masks might help, and in Japan they might help a lot, but we can't tell because there are other variables in play that have a much greater impact.

To clarify, using bullshit numbers I made up, if the bog standard rate of infection with normal exposure and zero precautions were 10%, and masks reduced that by half (5%), but mass transit tripled your exposure (15%) you would be worse off wearing a mask in a big city using mass transit then just going about your life in a small town. Doesn't mean those in the big city shouldn't wear masks.
Japanese have been wearing masks for decades at any sight of a sniffle, a cold or even allergies. It's bad form to NOT wear one of you have the sniffles.

If any country had wearing a mask, wearing the right mask, and having masks for everyone from COVID +1 it would be Japan..

Japan would also be the bellwether as to masks being effective or not.