Massive Fire in Solomons

frequentflier

happy to be living
Yes, It was the old location of Sneade's before they moved to Lusby. I don't remember how far down Sneade's went in that building, but it was at least the vet and maybe as far to include PAC and your shop in between. I dunno if PAC expanded or the vet did when you moved out, I don't remember anything else in between recently. Down at the other end, was a pretty recently opened tanning salon & boutique.
The thrift store started out in my old space, then expanded further up. They were currently renting my old space to store furniture. I know because I bought a couch from there!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Holy cow! They're saying a propane tank exploded. Does that happen, propane tanks just explode?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Holy cow! They're saying a propane tank exploded. Does that happen, propane tanks just explode?
Rarely. It was either tampered with or had a leak that nobody fixed. The tank themselves are far more robust than they need to be for holding liquid propane.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Rarely. It was either tampered with or had a leak that nobody fixed. The tank themselves are far more robust than they need to be for holding liquid propane.
We use the obsolete ones as targets at our gun range up in the mountains. The first hit can sometimes result in a flare/fire but we usually put a burning rag on the things before we shoot them if we want to guarantee a good reaction. Kinda like this guy did..but with a full tank. Ours are always empty.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
We use the obsolete ones as targets at our gun range up in the mountains. The first hit can sometimes result in a flare/fire but we usually put a burning rag on the things before we shoot them if we want to guarantee a good reaction. Kinda like this guy did..but with a full tank. Ours are always empty.
Yeah, pretty sure that falls under 'tampering'.... :lol:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I certainly hope the vet can get rebuilt or relocated soon. Stocking-cat and Smoky-blew are about due for their next annual appointments.
You could always take them to the Well Pet Clinic in Huntingtown. I am sure it will be a while until Solomons Vet will be available for appointments even in a different location.

WheezyCarl

We stopped by PAC on Sunday afternoon looking for kayak plugs. The place was packed with merchandise (except kayak plugs), sad scenario.

ginwoman

I am not sure how far down the line the fire went but I would imagine most of the shops were damaged. I am just glad no pets were harmed. I think I might know one of the owners based on the last name of the animal posted on the vet's Twitter about being relocated. They take higher risk pets to a 24 hours clinic or else more pets could have been in harm's way.
That was my first thought if any pets were harmed.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I did a quick drive by about 30 minutes ago...

frequentflier

happy to be living
I did a quick drive by about 30 minutes ago...
View attachment 157105
I stopped by to let the person I know that works at the thrift store that if they needed help moving anything, I was available. Their insurance agent was there assessing the damage which was mostly smoke and water. She said they told her the whole building needed to come down.
I saw the owner of Boomerangs at the post office and he said they dodged a bullet and as sad as he was to see the fire, he was grateful it did not burn down his building as well.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I stopped by to let the person I know that works at the thrift store that if they needed help moving anything, I was available. Their insurance agent was there assessing the damage which was mostly smoke and water. She said they told her the whole building needed to come down.
I saw the owner of Boomerangs at the post office and he said they dodged a bullet and as sad as he was to see the fire, he was grateful it did not burn down his building as well.
I figured the whole thing needs to go. The entire building was roped off. Such a shame, but it could have been much worse.

Now, what about the guy that started this?

SugarBear47

I do not believe it was a terrible terrible accident for one second. Though it is true that homeless people were always found behind the shopping strip and run off. The camper most likely belonged to one of the owners. But how can a single candle flame burn down half a shopping strip that has concrete block and some steel walls in the back of the buildings. Particularly the vet building. Nope something else going on there, they just wanted a quick solution. A lot of illegal codes in those buildings. Could have even been a raccoon in the attic chomping on old electrical wiring. Happened before. Just saying.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I do not believe it was a terrible terrible accident for one second. Though it is true that homeless people were always found behind the shopping strip and run off. The camper most likely belonged to one of the owners. But how can a single candle flame burn down half a shopping strip that has concrete block and some steel walls in the back of the buildings. Particularly the get building. Nope something else going on there, they just wanted a quick solution. A lot of illegal codes in those buildings. Could have even been a raccoon in the attic chmoping on old electrical wiring. Happened before. Just saying.
:howdy: That building was what-70- years old?

Last edited: