Matthew 12:40

seekeroftruth

seekeroftruth,
re: "What was common?"

To say that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could occur.

I'm sorry... I just don't understand what you are asking.... I don't think Jesus was forecasting anything... I think He was telling the Pharisees that they needed to change their lives as the Ninevites had done when Jonah was sent to them. Like I said... they didn't have clocks back then... generally so they weren't real specific about time.....

:coffee:

rstrats

seekeroftruth,
re: "I'm sorry... I just don't understand what you are asking.... "

OK, let me repeat:
1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I am simply asking anyone who thinks it was common, to provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred.

warneckutz

2143339-MC-Hammer-Quote-We-got-to-pray-just-to-make-it-today.jpg

rstrats

seekeroftruth,
re: "...they didn't have clocks back then..."

Why is a clock needed to count daytimes and night times?

rstrats

In thinking about it, I realize that it doesn't make any difference with regard to sunset versus sunrise; either way there would still be a lack of a third night with a 6th day of the week crucifixion.

rstrats

mudpuddle,
re: "I read a few of the posts, and was wondering what these posts are all about?"

Most, if not all of the posts have dealt with issues for a different topic. This one is about one thing and only one thing:

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. And of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).

4. However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I'm simply curious if anyone who may fall in the above group of believers might provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
why do you need to know the day of the week? What religion or faith do you follow? You are obviously Christian, but what "type" of Christian?
Days mean a lot. E very society takes great care to document events in their history. But, in this case, what day Christ was crucified, really doesn't matter in the scheme of eternity. IT IS NOT AN ISSUE OF SALVATION AND ETERNAL DESTINATION. The catholic church and their church founders set the date for what they call Good Friday, or the day of the crucifixion. Doesn't mean they are right or wrong. The simple Gospel - that Jesus was born of a virgin, that He was executed, buried, and resurrected Himself from the dead, is the foundation of the Christian belief. I personally lean toward Thursday as the day of the week of His execution myself. I'll find out for sure when I get the opportunity to ask Him in eternity.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
what difference would it make to you, if it turns out to be Thursday? How would this affect you, and your beliefs?

You say, "But, in this case, what day Christ was crucified, really doesn't matter in the scheme of eternity. IT IS NOT AN ISSUE OF SALVATION AND ETERNAL DESTINATION "

When ARE the dates an issue of salvation and eternal destination? Where do you believe the eternal destination is?

What is your angle here?😕 Trying to instigate something?:laugh: I've been very clear with my statements -the exact date, either Wed, Thur, or Fri has nothing to do with salvation. The only date that affects an individual regarding salvation is the date that person accepts the Lord Jesus as their savior. That destination is heaven. If one never receives the Lord, then a damnation to hell, and ultimately an eternity in the lake of fire. Don't believe me, look it up for yourself.

Corinthians 6:2 (NKJV) For He says: "In an acceptable time I have heard you, And in the day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." Whenever you do it would be your day of salvation, but only while you're breathing. Once you're dead and have not accepted Christ, no escaping hell.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

It's on you to make that decision. You decide if you go to heaven or hell. The Gospel is really simple. It is all throughout the NT.

Last edited:

rstrats

mudpuddle,
re: "Who are these 'believers'?"

Anyone who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and thinks that the "heart of the earth" refers to the tomb, and tries to explain the lack of a third night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time.

re: "Do they have a name?"

I would certainly think so. Doesn't everyone have a name?

re: "And what do they believe in?"

That the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and that the "heart of the earth" refers to the tomb, and that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time.

rstrats

b23hqb,
re: "...the exact date, either Wed, Thur, or Fri has nothing to do with salvation."

That's an issue for a different topic.

rstrats

mudpuddle,
re: "Thank you for your replies. I simply can not comprehend this information!"

To whom is your post directed and to what information are you referring?

rstrats

Point #5 in post #42 should be changed to: To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.