McKays in Leonardtown- How long do you give it?

PeoplesElbow

But you know you see that here in all types of business. People say they want locally owned businesses but then won't patronize the ones that there are, instead they go to a chain.

I was at a Calvert P and Z hearing one time about having Home Depot/Lowe's come to the County. One attendee stood up and said that he was tired of living in a County that he had to leave to buy a hammer. Dave Sneade was sitting a couple rows ahead of him and the meeting was chaired by Maurice Lusby.

I also had one new resident here complain about the same thing a few years ago. I asked him how he got to work. He'd been driving by Sneade's Hardware in Owings for a couple years, he thought it was a restaurant (even with the lumberyard in back).

Or the ones that complain about not having a good seafood place. When you tell them about several they then tell you something on the order of, "No, I mean like a Red Lobster".
Some of the problem I have with many places is the hours they are open. I like Dysons, but damn they are never open except when I'm at work.

As far as seafood, I havent found anything local that has a good variety of fish. I dont do crustaceans or mollusks.

Some of the problem I have with many places is the hours they are open. I like Dysons, but damn they are never open except when I'm at work.

As far as seafood, I havent found anything local that has a good variety of fish. I dont do crustaceans or mollusks.
I agree. If you go in any Mckay's after 6, everything is closed but the checkouts. Are the deli, butcher and seafood sections open earlier? IDK. I feel worst for the people who made a career working there. Not sure if they have retirement or anything....

CRHS89

I needed some dog food last week. I was going to to run into Food Lion but it was PACKED. So I drove over to Mckays and there may have been 5 cars in the parking lot. I had heard about the empty shelves, so I got to see for myself. I'm guessing everyone that used to shop ay Mckays is now shopping at Food Lion.

mitzi

They aren't going to get shoppers with empty shelves. I don't see how they're getting out of this.

Louise

I needed some dog food last week. I was going to to run into Food Lion but it was PACKED. So I drove over to Mckays and there may have been 5 cars in the parking lot. I had heard about the empty shelves, so I got to see for myself. I'm guessing everyone that used to shop ay Mckays is now shopping at Food Lion.
Wanted to let you know that Purina is giving out awesome coupons because of shortage. Our Daisy Doodle has always eaten Purina Bella. That is, totally, out of stock now. Give them a call. 🐶

Bluecrqbe

I’ve never seen a worse run company, really.

They had a freaking red carpet, could have controlled the supermarket business in all of southern MD.

Charlotte Hall which had been their only profitable location was last expanded in ‘87. Then they opened and closed that monstrous store in great mills, then the old super fresh in Wildewood.

Then buying the old shoppers in California and Waldorf, abandoning the relocation of charlotte hall, and the owner fixated on running for county board again.

I’m a capitalist, bring in the big national chains!

PJay

Thats how my mother made hers and I do the same thing. No complaints...yet.
It is good. I make it that way occasionally if have peppers. I think she put celery seed too, but personally never been a fan of celery seed so I skip that part.

3CATSAILOR

I always loved the deli. They have the best cole slaw. I would never buy it anywhere else (it's always that prepacked crap). So many items were made in the store by the ladies who've worked there for decades. What will I do without their fried chicken :(. I hope it turns around and they don't close, but it sure doesn't sound good.
And they had really good icing for cakes.

Clem72

I said it before, it's a shame. When the store was bustling it was good, although always a bit pricier than the food lion (seemed to be 20% more with my shopping habits), but I would still go half the time. Fresh donuts in the deli, decent sushi, good hot bar.

Seems like being one of only two options within a 20 minute drive should make it impossible to not make money, but what do I know. Maybe we will get a trendy upscale grocer to compliment the food lion.