McKays in leonardtown suddenly closed?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Since Mckays closed Food Lion is obscenely busy when I go there. Makes grocery shopping even more a PIA.
You should try Storefront Pickup. Saves a lot of time and money and it's easy.

Just pick the store.

Watch for person coming out with a full shopping cart.

Offer to help them load their groceries.

When they head to their car, head to yours with the cart. :jet:

OldHillcrestGuy

In a weird place, maybe 2nd or 3rd aisle, towards the meat cooler from the center end caps. It's very VERY thin, but that's why I like it. Crumbles easily for salads and recipes.

View attachment 167054
I just left the Aldi in Waldorf. We really like shopping at any one of their local stores. Love the bacon, really great for making a quick BLT. Would absolutely love one in Charlotte Hall.

I don't know who would open another grocery store there with all the consolidation and low margins in the industry. Most people who live in Leonardtown already drive past all the grocery stores in California on the way to and from work. If it were my strip mall I would let someone take over the Liqour store as is, and subdivide the grocery store into smaller spaces. Even those will be hard to fill.

I always though a massive liquor store like Total Wine would do great down here.

Lastly, the Leonardtown Food Lion is actually one of the nicest stores in the county. Since Food Lion got bought out by the company that owns Giant, a lot of the brands are the same, but much cheaper. Also, it is clean and I have never had an issue with the staff there. Honestly that is likely why McKays could not compete.

Clem72

Since Mckays closed Food Lion is obscenely busy when I go there. Makes grocery shopping even more a PIA.
I don't see how those are related, unless all six of the people who shopped at McKay's all show up exactly when you are at food lion.

CRHS89

You should try Storefront Pickup. Saves a lot of time and money and it's easy.

Just pick the store.

Watch for person coming out with a full shopping cart.

Offer to help them load their groceries.

When they head to their car, head to yours with the cart. :jet:
I have done that, but there are a myriad of reasons that is not the answer. 1. I like to pick out my own produce and meats 2. Several times when I have ordered curbside pick-up at different stores the order has not been ready at the time I chose due to staff shortages so I end up sitting in my car for up to 30 minutes waiting. 3. When something is out of stock I like to pick what it is substituted with

EDIT: I just realized that you meant taking other's groceries. Apparently I am not quite awake yet.

mitzi

I have done that, but there are a myriad of reasons that is not the answer. 1. I like to pick out my own produce and meats 2. Several times when I have ordered curbside pick-up at different stores the order has not been ready at the time I chose due to staff shortages so I end up sitting in my car for up to 30 minutes waiting. 3. When something is out of stock I like to pick what it is substituted with

EDIT: I just realized that you meant taking other's groceries. Apparently I am not quite awake yet.

You can pick your substitute when you place it online. I guess I've been lucky, I've never had to wait except one time.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I don't know who would open another grocery store there with all the consolidation and low margins in the industry. Most people who live in Leonardtown already drive past all the grocery stores in California on the way to and from work. If it were my strip mall I would let someone take over the Liqour store as is, and subdivide the grocery store into smaller spaces. Even those will be hard to fill.

I always though a massive liquor store like Total Wine would do great down here.

Lastly, the Leonardtown Food Lion is actually one of the nicest stores in the county. Since Food Lion got bought out by the company that owns Giant, a lot of the brands are the same, but much cheaper. Also, it is clean and I have never had an issue with the staff there. Honestly that is likely why McKays could not compete.
For the liquor store or Total Wine, would the current liquor store owners allow that to happen? I know they wouldn't in Calvert and the Liquor Board would go along with them even if it violates state law, like they did a couple years ago in Solomon's. Although that was a license for a restaurant.

1stGenSMIB

I just left the Aldi in Waldorf. We really like shopping at any one of their local stores. Love the bacon, really great for making a quick BLT. Would absolutely love one in Charlotte Hall.
I like it on my turkey sammiches. My wife usually shops at the Aldi, and then something they might not have she picks up at the more expensive stores. When I go in there, I always want to pick up every thing in the 'stuff you don't really need but we are selling aisle" (used to be aisle two, but I have not been in since the expansion..)