Media Corruption

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

A Puritanical Assault on the English Language

In addition to calls for censorship, language can be manipulated through what is known as “concept creep,” by which words lose any meaning through endless misapplication. The most disturbing example has been the expanded meaning of terms such as “far right,” “fascist,” and “Nazi,” which has needlessly raised the temperature of current political debates. A new make-believe domain has emerged, in which many are gripped by an irrational conviction that we live in a country dominated by fascists, poised to rise and seize control like a rerun of Mussolini’s march on Rome. So one left-leaning commentator informs us that “fascist extremism and terrorism is being legitimised and fuelled by ‘mainstream’ newspapers and politicians alike.” Another insists that “all white people” are implicated “in white supremacy.” The rhetoric has become so ubiquitous that these terms have begun to lose their potency.

So why is it that so many journalists and activists are persuaded that neo-Nazism has gone mainstream? Why do so many on social media feel the need to identify themselves as “anti-fascist”? Like most people, I have never met an actual fascist. I have encountered some racists, a few far-right advocates, and one white nationalist during the filming of a programme for the BBC—but no fascists, so far as I am aware. My default expectation of my fellow creatures is that they would instinctively oppose such pernicious ideas. Claiming to be an “anti-fascist” is rather like wearing a badge saying “I am not a paedophile”; it makes others wonder what you’re hiding.

The illusion of a crypto-fascist epidemic is buoyed by the misapprehension that white supremacists and neo-Nazis tend to keep their views to themselves. This is untrue; one of the problems we face in combating these ideologies is that fealty to the cause is considered a source of pride. By failing to use terms accurately and with care, commentators and journalists have created the impression that such groups are pervasive and have thereby inadvertently promoted them. It is no great leap to suppose that this goes some way to explaining why the far Right has lately been recruiting members with greater ease. Although still extremely marginal, there is evidence to suggest that the far Right is growing, and while we ought to take this very seriously, we should not allow the truth to be distorted through lazy hyperbole.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Jonathan Turley slams Chuck Todd over ‘angry’ Hunter Biden interview with Sen. Ron Johnson

Turley, in his play-by-play reaction to the interview, criticized Todd for “dismissing” Johnson.

“Todd proceeded to dismiss Johnson’s objections with snarky comments about ‘taking him at his word that he is ethically bothered by Hunter Biden’ and saying that his objection to media bias is ‘part of your identity,'” he wrote.

He also bristled at Todd needling Johnson about returning to his “cable cocoon,” pointing out that the NBC host acted differently when it came to allegations about former President Donald Trump.

To make his case, he pointed to a 2018 interview with Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) when Todd failed to push back on allegations against Trump.

“Todd interviewed former House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff on Trump foreign deals and bank loans. Schiff declared without contradiction by Todd that ‘if Trump’s [business dealings] are a form of compromise, it needs to be exposed,'” Turley said.

He also linked to a column in The Post last week that laid out in detail why Hunter Biden should be investigated and why the media has covered them up.

“Even in a city where influence-peddling is a virtual cottage industry, the Bidens took the corrupt practice to a truly Olympian level,” he wrote.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

“It’s not a rifle,” Rivera claimed, saying it was a “machine gun.”

“What does AR stand for?” Gutfeld asked him.

“Automatic rifle,” Rivera responded, getting it just ridiculously wrong.

“No, that’s not what it is,” Gutfeld said.

“All I know is is AR-15s have no place in American society, other than sport clubs,” Geraldo insisted.

All you know is nothing, Geraldo, so what you know isn’t worth much, given you think they’re machine guns. “AR” in AR-15 doesn’t stand for automatic rifle, it stands for “Armalite Rifle.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

USA Today: Stop Using ‘Culturally Sensitive Words’ Like ‘Aloha’, ‘Shalom’

In an essay published in USA Today on Friday, titled “Is it time to stop saying ‘aloha’ and other culturally sensitive words out of context?” reporter David Oliver argues, “just because you can say something doesn’t mean it’s always appropriate.”

Claiming that “aloha” has a “deeper meaning” than just hello or goodbye, the author states, “If you’re not Hawaiian and you say it, it could come off as mockery.”

“The use of certain words requires education, knowledge and the foresight to understand when they should – or shouldn’t – come out of your mouth,” he adds.

According to Oliver, using the greetings “hola” or “shalom” with a “fake, exaggerated accent” when conversing with a Spanish or Hebrew speaker is problematic, while “saying ‘ni hao’ to someone Asian American who isn’t Chinese” could be “both othering and a microaggression.”

He also calls to consider “the larger cultural considerations” around the use of such words, while demanding that “everyone needs context before speaking another culture’s language besides their own.”

stgislander

PREMO Member

USA Today: Stop Using ‘Culturally Sensitive Words’ Like ‘Aloha’, ‘Shalom’

In an essay published in USA Today on Friday, titled “Is it time to stop saying ‘aloha’ and other culturally sensitive words out of context?” reporter David Oliver argues, “just because you can say something doesn’t mean it’s always appropriate.”

Claiming that “aloha” has a “deeper meaning” than just hello or goodbye, the author states, “If you’re not Hawaiian and you say it, it could come off as mockery.”

“The use of certain words requires education, knowledge and the foresight to understand when they should – or shouldn’t – come out of your mouth,” he adds.

According to Oliver, using the greetings “hola” or “shalom” with a “fake, exaggerated accent” when conversing with a Spanish or Hebrew speaker is problematic, while “saying ‘ni hao’ to someone Asian American who isn’t Chinese” could be “both othering and a microaggression.”

He also calls to consider “the larger cultural considerations” around the use of such words, while demanding that “everyone needs context before speaking another culture’s language besides their own.”
That's why my Italian immigrant grand-mother always said, "speek-e da Ingleesh." :lol:

gemma_rae

To people like Geraldo and so many others just like him I would never say Aloha.
AMF would suffice.
But Jinx, don't you think Geraldo would be insulted if you said "Adios My Friend"? I mean doesn't Adios have a super-secret meaning like Aloha?

gemma_rae

I want a phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range.
We're working on it!
Umbrella.png

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
While the classified documents story is still heating up, CNN suddenly discovered that the Biden family is filled with corrupt influence peddlers.

Who knew? There were no indications. Not a hint of anything like that. Joe gave us his “word as a Biden” that everything was on the up and up, and the media up until now scoffed at the idea that anything could be wrong. Indeed, Chuck Todd just insulted Senator Ron Johnson for bringing up the subject.

For years, as Joe Biden has sought to assure the American public he deserves their trust, he’s relied upon a go-to phrase meant to underscore his credibility: “I give you my word as a Biden.”
But that’s not the only way the Biden family name has been used. The president’s brothers have invoked it in their private business pursuits over the years to suggest access to power and influence, according to a CNN review of court documents, emails and video recordings as well as interviews with former business acquaintances.
A year after Biden was elected, for example, his youngest brother, Frank, boasted in a speech to medical professionals gathered in Boston of the “bully pulpit” he was afforded due to “my brother Joey,” and vowed to help attendees “get federal dollars.” Just three months ago, Frank Biden was an invited keynote speaker at a medical conference in Venice, Italy, where he gave advice to a group lobbying the federal government – a trip he acknowledged he did not pay for but declined to say who did.