MEMA on alert as Earl may make direct hit in MD

TurboK9

They don't; however, they do react if they think a hurricane is going to seriously impact air trafic.

Do they react if there is a 30 percent chance? 50? 75?

Not at 30%, obviously... Unless 50MPH wind is considered minor by av ops standards.

:shrug:

B

Bean

Do they react if there is a 30 percent chance? 50? 75?

Not at 30%, obviously... Unless 50MPH wind is considered minor by av ops standards.

:shrug:

Pax River Reporting at 8/31/10 13:56 (COR) Level 3 Storm Conditions

(COR) Level 3 corresponds to a red radar return, indicating heavy precipitation, leading to the possibility of thunderstorms and severe turbulence and serious structural damage to aircraft.

TCCOR 3 - Destructive winds of 50 kts or greater are possible/probable/anticipated within 48 hours.

SoccerMom2

Those people are driving me insane. I was glancing at the TV this morning..somebody was whining.."I was without electricity for 3 days with the ice storm (after the one in SOMD), then 2 days with Isabel..and then the storms this summer (when a bazillon HUGE trees were pulled up by their roots)...waaaah...waaahh...waaaahh.. At least most of them can still use their toilets and have running water.

I bet they weren't complaining when they got there electric bill and notice how low it was.

The 2 p.m. NOAA track shows it farther from us than the earlier map. Guess that means the front from the west is on track to push it out to sea. So far so good...:yay:

Hurricane EARL

awpitt

Main Streeter
Huh. I wasn't aware that the FAA controlled hurricanes.

:yay:

No offense, but this thing is projected to swing withing 200 miles of our coast, and that's only the center of the track.... it's about 600 miles wide. All it will have to do is jiggle, and we could be seeing 60+ MPH winds instead of <25.

In fact, three days ago the NHC track put it 350 miles out. Now it's crept down to 200. I expect it to keep creeping.

If I'm wrong, I have extra soup and a sharp chain on the chainsaw. :bigwhoop:

Better that than on a tree on my head.

I'll wait and see what happens, and have a plan just in case. :yay:

Actually, it's about four hundred miles wide. As of the 2pm update, hurricane force winds extend 70 miles out from the center and tropical storm force winds extend up to 200 miles out from the center.

TurboK9

The 2 p.m. NOAA track shows it farther from us than the earlier map. Guess that means the front from the west is on track to push it out to sea. So far so good...:yay:

Hurricane EARL

The edge of the cone was deeper inland before, but the center of the cone is now closer to shore. Keep in mind that the cone narrows as time goes on. :yay:

TurboK9

When in the hell did you become a drama queen?? Jeebus! :lmao:

I'm just astounded by the amount of people who seem to think a 600 mile wide major hurricane can pass by 200 miles of the coast with NO effect on coastal areas. :shrug:

Heck all I've said is basically 'better safe than sorry' anyway. Am I wrong? Do hurricanes NOT regularly do unpredicted stuff? Is it not pretty likely we'll get TS force winds at a minimum?

That IS what the NHC is saying. :shrug:

That's being a drama queen?

Personally I think making a fuss because I'd like to see everyone have their bases covered just in case, is being a drama queen.

Hi all you drama queens!! :razz:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I'm just astounded by the amount of people who seem to think a 600 mile wide major hurricane can pass by 200 miles of the coast with NO effect on coastal areas. :shrug:

Heck all I've said is basically 'better safe than sorry' anyway. Am I wrong? Do hurricanes NOT regularly do unpredicted stuff? Is it not pretty likely we'll get TS force winds at a minimum?

Personally I think making a fuss because I'd like to see everyone have their bases covered just in case, is being a drama queen.

Ok here ya go. I predict........

We won't even see winds of 40mph. :yay:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

I know a whole bunch of peeps right now acting like :jameo:
running around like the end is near.... kinda funny if you ask me
:coffee:

all I want to do is get to the store and get the crap I should have picked up yesterday :killingme

Actually, it's about four hundred miles wide. As of the 2pm update, hurricane force winds extend 70 miles out from the center and tropical storm force winds extend up to 200 miles out from the center.

So far so good. :shrug:

TurboK9

I'll take some of that action..heck..I'll go less than 30, double or nuthin.

:popcorn:

OK. But my point was, it will effect us, not that it will knock over your house. A 25 MPH wind is still effecting us. :shrug: 3" of rain in 4 hours instead of 14" of rain, is still effecting us. Right or wrong?

People have posted that it won't effect us at all. :shrug:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
OK. But my point was, it will effect us, not that it will knock over your house. A 25 MPH wind is still effecting us. :shrug: 3" of rain in 4 hours instead of 14" of rain, is still effecting us. Right or wrong?

People have posted that it won't effect us at all. :shrug:
A 25mph wind will have no effect on us nor will 3-4 inches of rain. Where were you this spring when the wind blew like that all weekend? Hell, I was out in the boat! :shrug: