Missle on the launch pad......

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
itsbob said:
...and..

5,409 miles from Pyongyang to Oregon

3,091 miles from Pyongyang to the Aleutian Islands (Alaska)

It's actually closer than that, because the launch site is on the east coast, way east of Pyongyang. The google-earth community has it marked.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
True.. I chose Pyongyang because it is the most heavily defended part of N Korea.. I can't imagine them putting their most importanat weapon out in the middle of nowhere, where it can be attacked with little effort. or fear of loss to attacking aircraft.

I did see online in one of the articles the town name where the launch facility is located.. but I didn't cross reference it back to figuring out the distances.
I chose Chongjin as it was near the coast and close to the Russians that I suspect have helped them over the years.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
wxtornado said:
It's actually closer than that, because the launch site is on the east coast, way east of Pyongyang. The google-earth community has it marked.

Thought I read something about it being close to the town of No Dong :killingme , east coast. Are these launch pads stationary or moveable????

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ken King said:
I chose Chongjin as it was near the coast and close to the Russians that I suspect have helped them over the years.
Well, the Lat Long I was using for N Korea, and the Lat Long for Chongjin are all of 160 miles apart..

The distance to the coast of Oregon is still over 5000 miles away.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SouthernMdRocks said:
Thought I read something about it being close to the town of No Dong :killingme , east coast. Are these launch pads stationary or moveable????
Sationary, above ground.. strategically a worthless launch site

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
Well, the Lat Long I was using for N Korea, and the Lat Long for Chongjin are all of 160 miles apart..

The distance to the coast of Oregon is still over 5000 miles away.
I never said they could reach Oregon, mostly we were talking about Alaska, right? I even agreed Hawaii was too far.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
wxtornado said:
Check out the link below - a very interesting look inside North Korea, beyond Propoganda Village. Lots of pics and links to other similar pics throughout the thread.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82755
The problem we are having with the Mexicans. the Chinese are having with the N Koreans.. they are trying to escape starvation and certain death, and there have been reports (multiple reports) of cannibalism, to the point of families eating their own to try to survive. China is putting all of their money into defense and letting the poor and anyone outside of the party elite die.

They have already been defeated, but are too ignorant to face the fact, and continue to try to up gun us at the cost of their own population, and in light of those facts.. if they are willing to sacrifice millions of their own countrymen for the cause, how do you think they will treat us if we ever have to go to war with them??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What does a "missile defense system" actually do? Just shoot down the incoming missile or does it fire back at the attackers?

Duncerella, I know. But that's how you learn - by asking questions. :jet:

dustin

UAIOE
Last edited:

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
What's interesting is that the US can justify (to the world body, I guess) shooting these NK missiles down because NK doesn't announce their plans to launch. We don't know the intentions of NK, ergo we'll just shoot it down.

ylexot

Super Genius
Mmmmmm, I don't know. The defense was designed to protect against Russian and Chinese missiles that (presumably) do some funky trajectory stuff to make them difficult to stop and/or warn the correct target area. I doubt that the NK's did anything like that. They're still working on distance and you lose distance when you add in the maneuvering.

I'm not sure why it's such a difficult problem...just have Raytheon super-size a few AMRAAMs :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Dupontster said:
Anyone think they would be stupid enough to fire a missile at us and hit someplace like LA?
Anyone think anyone is stupid enough to fly two planes into two buildings??