Moms..I need help

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Yes, I believe they can deliver at the hospital, the problem is around here there are very few "alternative" resources..I only found 1 doula in the whole area..and the nearest birthing center is hours away, which would probably be my first choice. it would be interesting to hear any "home birth" stories...maybe I will start a thread sometime a little closer and see what happens..lol

The forum Baby Gaga: Pregnancy & Parenting Social Network & Resources is HILARIOUS. Some home-birthers on there

Yes, I believe they can deliver at the hospital, the problem is around here there are very few "alternative" resources..I only found 1 doula in the whole area..and the nearest birthing center is hours away, which would probably be my first choice. it would be interesting to hear any "home birth" stories...maybe I will start a thread sometime a little closer and see what happens..lol

So you are willing to forego an epidural or other relief drugs in the hopes of avoiding the possible pain of a tear or a cut... interesting choice.

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Whoa that place is full of youngins..not that i'm not young..but I like older folks..:killingme

True. They are mostly young. Like, babies havin babies young

But I think thats what makes it all the more funny... some of the things they say used to amaze me :lmao:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
So you are willing to forego an epidural or other relief drugs in the hopes of avoiding the possible pain of a tear or a cut... interesting choice.

no. and no. :killingme

I like the idea of a home birth because I hate hopsitals, they are dirty and germ filled, and I know I could be more comfy and relaxed at home. I don't want any interference either, which is why the idea appeals to me. The only think the hospital has that I want is pain control..:killingme

and its not the pain of the tear or cut..its the tear itself I don't want. The pain of any of it really doesn't scare me. (mostly because I know that the epi exists, so I have a conundrum)

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
I think I made SO scared when I mentioned a home birth... though the allure of the grand ole epidural is pretty strong.:killingme A home birth seems so much more comfortable and peaceful..(and comes with a much lower risk of substantial tears :whistle:) but I have zero support for it..everyone thinks I'm nuts :killingme

I like the idea of a home birth because I hate hopsitals, they are dirty and germ filled, and I know I could be more comfy and relaxed at home. I don't want any interference either, which is why the idea appeals to me. The only think the hospital has that I want is pain control..:killingme

and its not the pain of the tear or cut..its the tear itself I don't want. The pain of any of it really doesn't scare me. (mostly because I know that the epi exists, so I have a conundrum)

My midwife delivered at the hospital, best of both worlds. Epidural, which was necessary and no tears. Good luck to you!

I think so too, but do you really think your house is more sanitary than a hospital?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I think so too, but do you really think your house is more sanitary than a hospital?

Absolutely positively. A hospital is full of sick people and wounds and hospital superbugs. My house has my own germs, which the baby will be living in anyway and have immunity to through breast milk. Hospitals are disgusting filthy places. No place for a fragile little baby.

LandingInLondon

alittle late, but i just gave birth about 10 weeks ago. Dr. Davis delivered my baby, he had to use the forceps and give me an epi. My baby was coming out face up and had her hands up by her face so she was stuck behind my pelvic bone. I ended up with a 3rd degree tear, Dr. Davis stitched me up wrong so i had to go back three weeks later and have him refix my epi. I'm still recovering. My childbirthing teacher told me that tearing is actually better than cutting.

BabyZone | Baby, Pregnancy, Baby Names, and Parenting has forums and they have due date clubs, most of the moms there are for homebirths and doulas. I think a homebirth is a great idea. I'm too big of a wuss to do something like that. I needed my drugs! :)

sunflower

Loving My Life...
alittle late, but i just gave birth about 10 weeks ago. Dr. Davis delivered my baby, he had to use the forceps and give me an epi. My baby was coming out face up and had her hands up by her face so she was stuck behind my pelvic bone. I ended up with a 3rd degree tear, Dr. Davis stitched me up wrong so i had to go back three weeks later and have him refix my epi. I'm still recovering. My childbirthing teacher told me that tearing is actually better than cutting.

BabyZone | Baby, Pregnancy, Baby Names, and Parenting has forums and they have due date clubs, most of the moms there are for homebirths and doulas. I think a homebirth is a great idea. I'm too big of a wuss to do something like that. I needed my drugs! :)

How in the world did he stitch you up wrong? Thats scary.. I noticed when I saw him twice he had trouble seeing(The way he would look at me).... And he did my tubel :yikes:

Mama_Mia08

Not Crazy

Everyone obsesses over different things. If you spoke to your doc already and they aren't willing to accommodate you or address your concerns then maybe you should see another doc if that will make you feel better. However, after that is taken care of you may start to obsess over something else then too:smile: I have mild OCD so during my pregnancies I seemed to always find something. For a lot of people I know all the stuff they obsessed over went out the window when they hit the delivery room. I tore with my oldest daughter and didn't even know it until they were putting the stitches in.

LandingInLondon

How in the world did he stitch you up wrong? Thats scary.. I noticed when I saw him twice he had trouble seeing(The way he would look at me).... And he did my tubel :yikes:

After the swelling went down, i had an "extra flap" of skin down there. He looked super tired when he delivered my baby too.

jedi2814

Pain control is NOT the only thing a hospital can offer that you may need. Emergencies happen and you CANNOT to an emergent c-section at home. No one wants to think about it but in those 10% of cases when seconds count in getting that baby out being somewhere where they can do it inside of 3 minutes can mean life and death for you and/or your baby. You cannot manage a postpartum hemorrhage at home - and there is very little that can help you predict who will hemorrhage. Seen it, done it, been there. In perfectly healthy normal woman. I have seen women lose babies because their midwife allowed them labor for hours or go to 42 weeks gestation for no other reason than "it's a natural process and the body knows what to do". There are good and bad midwives out there just like there are good and bad MDs. Don't think that just because they have CNM after their names they are superior. In most cases they are not.

jedi2814

OK I did not read all the replies because quite frankly stupid people bug me.
For the most part tearing is BETTER. It heals easier, is generally smaller then the cut would of been (you will only tear as much as you need to where as a cut is as big as the dcotor thinks you might need). Imagine this, is it easier to tape together, exactly right, 2 pieces of paper that were cut, or is it easier to match up 2 jagged pieces to see where they fit together before? Here are some links that back it up.

Episiotomy: When it's needed, when it's not - MayoClinic.com
All about episiotomy | BabyCenter

To help avoid a tear make sure you are doing perineal massages before you deliver. Also your doctor can do them while the baby is coming down to help streach out those muscles.

You are misinformed. Tearing occurs until the stress on the tissue is relieved. If you relieve some pressure with a small cut the tearing does not occur. Put pressure on the entire perineum with no relief and it can all give at once. A skilled MD can usually tell when a cut is required to prevent massive tearing, but sometimes it cannot be prevented.

Have you ever seen someone sewn up? Next time you have a chuck roast or a steak slice a piece off with a knife and then line it back up and sew it back on through the entire thickness. Then tear a piece off the other side and try sewing it back on. The perineum is 3 dimensional - bad tears look like ground up hamburger - try sewing that back together and getting it right. A smooth incision goes back together much more easily and accurately and it maintains the integrity of the tissue so you have something to sew back together. Torn tissue often cannot support the stitch.

Last edited:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Pain control is NOT the only thing a hospital can offer that you may need. Emergencies happen and you CANNOT to an emergent c-section at home. No one wants to think about it but in those 10% of cases when seconds count in getting that baby out being somewhere where they can do it inside of 3 minutes can mean life and death for you and/or your baby. You cannot manage a postpartum hemorrhage at home - and there is very little that can help you predict who will hemorrhage. Seen it, done it, been there. In perfectly healthy normal woman. I have seen women lose babies because their midwife allowed them labor for hours or go to 42 weeks gestation for no other reason than "it's a natural process and the body knows what to do". There are good and bad midwives out there just like there are good and bad MDs. Don't think that just because they have CNM after their names they are superior. In most cases they are not.

Sure, that's true. But I am quite young, have zero risk factors, and have had excellent prenatal care. My risk is extremely low. I also would not consider a midwife without a backup ob and regular OB visits. Many of the complications people have is from mistrust of medicine (thus they are willing to follow a midwife's advice or none at all for the sake of it being "natural", hence homebirths and not vaccinating your child are related. I don't have that motivation.

I am really liking the idea of a birthing center attached to a hospital. It's a real shame there is nothing like it nearby. We will see, my ideas are only just forming and I am an avid researcher, any choice I make will be fully researched and informed.

jedi2814

Sure, that's true. But I am quite young, have zero risk factors, and have had excellent prenatal care. My risk is extremely low. I also would not consider a midwife without a backup ob and regular OB visits. Many of the complications people have is from mistrust of medicine (thus they are willing to follow a midwife's advice or none at all for the sake of it being "natural", hence homebirths and not vaccinating your child are related. I don't have that motivation.

I am really liking the idea of a birthing center attached to a hospital. It's a real shame there is nothing like it nearby. We will see, my ideas are only just forming and I am an avid researcher, any choice I make will be fully researched and informed.

Risk factors and prenatal care have no predictive value when there's a prolapsed cord, cord compression or a placenta that has begun to calcify. Postpartum hemorrhage can happen to anyone.

Midwives aren't allowed to deliver legally in Maryland without MD back-up. There is a birth center in Annapolis - the closest I know of. There aren't more because of the liablility issues. You can get the delivery you want in a hospital and still have the security of having the emergency services available.