More Liberal Honesty

warneckutz

So they talked a big game and then acted, you are just disappointed this didn’t end in a war?

if Iran had launched the same attack with the same results prior to trump killing solimani we would have retaliated. Trump looks weak backing down after they struck us. That being said, I am glad someone in the whitehouse reigned trump in because I have no interest in a US vs Iran war.

Nobody wants a war, unless secretly (or not so secretly) you're hoping for one? Maybe that's what you're getting at? We took out a bad guy, plain and simple. pres osama isn't in the WH anymore, get over it.

SkylarkTempest

Can I just say? Next time read up BEFORE you start opining.

Clearly you missed the sarcasm. But I'm tired of arguing about the use of labels, which is what this entire thread is about. We all agree that Iran is not a free country, but its political structure is a mixture of democracy and theocracy codified in a constitution that was ratified by the people in the aftermath of the 79 revolution.

SkylarkTempest

Oh, that's much better. :killingme Maybe if we remind them of that they will stop supporting terrorist activities around the world.

I'm not arguing that it's much better. My argument is that its political structure is different than that of a dictatorship, such as North Korea or Hussien-era Iraq. Please don't react to ideas I don't express. Also, a regime like that isn't going to stop terrorist activities through the use of rhetoric. It would require regime change, revolution, or military intervention.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So they talked a big game and then acted, you are just disappointed this didn’t end in a war?

if Iran had launched the same attack with the same results prior to trump killing solimani we would have retaliated. Trump looks weak backing down after they struck us. That being said, I am glad someone in the whitehouse reigned trump in because I have no interest in a US vs Iran war.

Anything Trump does is better than anything Nancy proposes (she doesn't really, just likes to point fingers at Trump and say "LOOK at what he did!!"

But basically what you're suggesting is do nothing, and continue to allow Iran to attack and commit acts of war with impunity, because that worked so well? Paying them off definitely doesn't work.. so if that isn't what you are suggesting, what then??

We can leave, but we'll still have oil tankers and cargo ships in the Gulf.. do we just let them sink as many as they want and hope they get tired of it and just stop??

I'm curious as to what you think the solution is.

PsyOps

Pixelated
That’s because fox is the only network trying to spin this into ‘the media is praising somlimani and refusing to call him a terrorist’.

That's complete bull####. The people were saying the those things were on the other networks (CNN, NBC, MSNBC, etc...). So, the spin is really coming from them. All Fox did was show what they said. How is exposing what someone said considered spin? They said what they said.

Given you poor understanding of the points I'm trying to make, you're hardly in a position to criticize how smart I am.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm not arguing that it's much better. My argument is that its political structure is different than that of a dictatorship, such as North Korea or Hussien-era Iraq. Please don't react to ideas I don't express. Also, a regime like that isn't going to stop terrorist activities through the use of rhetoric. It would require regime change, revolution, or military intervention.

You should see your local educational establishment quickly so you can pickup your degree! :jet:

Everyone On The Internet Awarded Honorary Degree In International Affairs

U.S.—All Americans on the internet have been awarded an honorary degree in international affairs for their expert opinions on foreign policy, sources confirmed Thursday.

The degrees are being handed out by colleges across the nation as the institutions wanted to honor those people who are suddenly experts on the Middle East, terrorism, and the intricacies of Iranian government. Anyone who gives his or her expert opinion on the Middle East, terrorism, blowback, foreign intervention, or the likely outcome of the killing of Suleimani will be sent an honorary certificate in the mail.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Well, I've read up on Iran and I deeply apologize. I now understand that it is an oppressive dictatorship. Can you help me out with one thing though? I couldn't find any information on who the dictator is. You could claim that it is the current Ayatollah, since technically speaking, he has the final word. However, functionally he is not in charge of government policies and does not usually intervene unless there are religious considerations. He is more of a theological figurehead than a head of state. The government is elected and historically, the winning party gets about a 60% of the vote. Those are 1984 Reagan numbers. El-Sisi in Egypt got 97%, Hussein used to get 100%, and Kim gets 100%. So, like...I'm wondering who the dictator is...

Can you help me because I don't know what the frick I'm talking about.

The "Supreme Leader" runs the country using Islamic rule. He is selected by a group of Islamic leaders. Only they have the power to keep or get rid of a Supreme Leader. The Supreme Leader is in charge of the military and heads of state. Nothing happens in Iran without approval of the Supreme Leader.

The president is elected by the people, but can't run unless approved by the Guardian Council. So, elections aren't really free elections.

Because laws are rooted in Islamic Law, the people live under those mandates, and there is no wavering from that. I personally am friends with someone who escaped persecution in Iran because he is B'hai (you can look that religion up). All religions not Islamic are sought out, arrested, put into prison, and in most cases executed for treason.

You could argue this is a form of dictatorship, in the sense that everything is run by one person - the Supreme Leader, and he rules with very stringent laws dictated by their religion; also making them a theocracy.

SkylarkTempest

The "Supreme Leader" runs the country using Islamic rule. He is selected by a group of Islamic leaders. Only they have the power to keep or get rid of a Supreme Leader. The Supreme Leader is in charge of the military and heads of state. Nothing happens in Iran without approval of the Supreme Leader.

The president is elected by the people, but can't run unless approved by the Guardian Council. So, elections aren't really free elections.

Because laws are rooted in Islamic Law, the people live under those mandates, and there is no wavering from that. I personally am friends with someone who escaped persecution in Iran because he is B'hai (you can look that religion up). All religions not Islamic are sought out, arrested, put into prison, and in most cases executed for treason.

You could argue this is a form of dictatorship, in the sense that everything is run by one person - the Supreme Leader, and he rules with very stringent laws dictated by their religion; also making them a theocracy.

"You could argue this is a form of dictatorship"

Yeah, you could argue that. You could also argue that it isn't, or at least a different term like authoritarian republic better captures the political structure of Iran. A place like North Korea or Hussein-era Iraq is indisputably a dictatorship. I think we agree.

"Because laws are rooted in Islamic Law, the people live under those mandates, and there is no wavering from that."

Yup. That's in the constitution that was ratified in '79 by popular vote. Again, we agree.

"B'hai (you can look that religion up)"

Why would I have to look that up? Are you implying I'm uninformed or an unlearned person? That's unnecessarily condescending. I suggest taking that tone with people who've taken that tone with you. Try to keep your emotions in check. It's better for the country.

PsyOps

Pixelated
"You could argue this is a form of dictatorship"

Yeah, you could argue that. You could also argue that it isn't, or at least a different term like authoritarian republic better captures the political structure of Iran. A place like North Korea or Hussein-era Iraq is indisputably a dictatorship. I think we agree.

"Because laws are rooted in Islamic Law, the people live under those mandates, and there is no wavering from that."

Yup. That's in the constitution that was ratified in '79 by popular vote. Again, we agree.

"B'hai (you can look that religion up)"

Why would I have to look that up? Are you implying I'm uninformed or an unlearned person? That's unnecessarily condescending. I suggest taking that tone with people who've taken that tone with you. Try to keep your emotions in check. It's better for the country.

I can't disagree with you.

I wasn't making any assumptions about what you may or may not know about B'hai. I know it's a pretty obscure religion that most folks never heard of. So I just defaulted to "in case you don't know what it is, look it up, because I didn't want to make my post longer explaining it". You really shouldn't be so easily triggered. I mean no disrespect in my posts to you.

Last edited:

Midnightrider

That's complete bull####. The people were saying the those things were on the other networks (CNN, NBC, MSNBC, etc...). So, the spin is really coming from them. All Fox did was show what they said. How is exposing what someone said considered spin? They said what they said.

Given you poor understanding of the points I'm trying to make, you're hardly in a position to criticize how smart I am.
All fox did was tell you that the msm was praising this guy, then they carefully cherry picked comments that reflected that if you took them out of context.
as the full videos you posted show, no one was praising solimani. The we’re describing who he is, a brutal military leader who is revered In Iran and the ME and is a terrorist to the USA,

your ‘points’ have oscillated from ‘the msm is praising somilani’ to ‘they didn’t call him a terrorist’ and back again as they have been debunked. I stand by my assertion that you used to be a lot smarter than this.

Midnightrider

Nobody wants a war, unless secretly (or not so secretly) you're hoping for one? Maybe that's what you're getting at? We took out a bad guy, plain and simple. pres osama isn't in the WH anymore, get over it.
Pres osama took out osama and a bunch of other bad guys 🤷

We took out a bad guy, and we let Iran get the last official ‘lick’ when they used precision ballistic missiles to attack our facility. That’s the ‘plain and simple’ of it. You can call that looking strong if you want

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pres osama took out osama and a bunch of other bad guys 🤷

We took out a bad guy, and we let Iran get the last official ‘lick’ when they used precision ballistic missiles to attack our facility. That’s the ‘plain and simple’ of it. You can call that looking strong if you want
You forgot the key point.. ZERO Iranian bad guys.. a few assassinated US Citizen bad guys..