Mother's Day MSA

Anyplace Farm

Phyxius said:
No offense to anyone with a Sony, as they are generally good quality, but you practically need a degree in engineering to get them to work.
I have a Sony and don't even know enough about them to know that it is hard. Somehow, I've managed to muddle through. So much more to learn on them.

Anyway, what I can say is that the quality of your shots is way sharper than what my Sony shoots. I even have to sharpen mine once more in PhotoShop.

I think mine is good for a starter camera for the price but I wouldn't consider it pro-calibre by any means.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Phyxius said:
No offense to anyone with a Sony, as they are generally good quality, but you practically need a degree in engineering to get them to work. I would stick with either Canon or Nikon, just because they are the BEST at what they do. Olympus is catching on, I've never owned an SLR from Olympus, but they were my first and second point and shoot digital camera (back when 2.1 MP was a BIG deal).

I say go to a store like Ritz and ask to hold a couple and shoot some pictures in the store, get an idea for what feels better. Many people like the ergonomics of the Nikon over the Canon and likewise some people prefer the Canon menus. It all depends on what exactly you want. If you want side by side comparisions you should check out dpreview.com Of course, the views expressed are personal opinion, but it still gives you a pretty good break down on features and had side by side shot comparisions.

If you do end up buying a new camera check out B & H Photo/Video on-line. They have great prices, excellent customer service, and usually have a code for sales prices (these change by date, so let me know if you want it and I'll get the current one).

As for lenses for a show nothing beats the Nikkor 70-200mm F 2.8 VR (or for Canon the 70-200mm F 2.8 IS), but it's NOT cheap. Nikon makes a "cheap" telephoto, the 70-300mm 4 - 5.6. It's a sharp lens in good light, a little slower to focus than some of the big dollar lenses and has a tendency to have chromatic aberrations in REALLY bright, direct light (that blue halo). It's VERY easily fixed with a program or action created by photographer, Shay Stephens (I can give you the link to this too, if you want it). Nikon also introduced the 15-200 VR, it's an amazing versitile walk about lens and allows wide angle and telephoto shooting, but there is usually a waiting list for it.

Well that really is how I feel about the Sony, it's just too much reading to figure it out. My first digital was an Olympus and it had the best, clearest pictures when I go back and look at them. So I love your pictures and would like your recommendation on which one would work well. The newer Nikon?? and the lens that is easy to use for an amateur like me. Thanks and I will check out the websites and online store you mentioned. :howdy:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Anyplace Farm said:
I have a Sony and don't even know enough about them to know that it is hard. Somehow, I've managed to muddle through. So much more to learn on them.

Anyway, what I can say is that the quality of your shots is way sharper than what my Sony shoots. I even have to sharpen mine once more in PhotoShop.

I think mine is good for a starter camera for the price but I wouldn't consider it pro-calibre by any means.

My Sony SLR which was quite expensive doesn't even have the quality of pix that my Olympus had, which was a way less expensive camera. It was disappointing. :jameo:

Loper

Animal Poor!
Phyxius said:
I shoot Nikon, but when you're talking SLRs or dSLRs you can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon. Mine is the Nikon D50, now discontinued this was the entry level dSLR from Nikon, now replaced by it's little brother the D40. You could also upgrade to the Big brother D80. I hope to have a new body by this fall, but this was my first digital SLR and I wasn't sure what to expect coming from the world of film SLRs.

The lens is a big deal though and if you saw me at MSA you'd see that my little camera had a HUGE lens on it. It's focal length was only 70-200mm, but it's "fast", meaning it has a large aperature (opening to allow light in and fast shutter speeds and shallow depth of field). It also features Vibration Reduction which allows me to handhold the 3+pd lens without fear of camera shake and it also detects panning motion for slower shutter panning shots. So, while my camera only cost about $400 (now, was $600 when I got it), the lens was $1900.

Point and shoots are becoming more and more versatile though, so don't discount them. :) I'll check out your website tomorrow (I'm tired and have to get up early...yay!) :coffee:

I have a Canon XT Rebel digital SLR, I have 2 lenses (An EF 75-300mm and EFS 18-55mm) Both, for the most part, do what I want them to. Yet, when I try different settings with the camera the pictures turn out ok but the speed of the lens sucks.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Phyxius said:
No offense to anyone with a Sony, as they are generally good quality, but you practically need a degree in engineering to get them to work. I would stick with either Canon or Nikon, just because they are the BEST at what they do. Olympus is catching on, I've never owned an SLR from Olympus, but they were my first and second point and shoot digital camera (back when 2.1 MP was a BIG deal).

I say go to a store like Ritz and ask to hold a couple and shoot some pictures in the store, get an idea for what feels better. Many people like the ergonomics of the Nikon over the Canon and likewise some people prefer the Canon menus. It all depends on what exactly you want. If you want side by side comparisions you should check out dpreview.com Of course, the views expressed are personal opinion, but it still gives you a pretty good break down on features and had side by side shot comparisions.

If you do end up buying a new camera check out B & H Photo/Video on-line. They have great prices, excellent customer service, and usually have a code for sales prices (these change by date, so let me know if you want it and I'll get the current one).

As for lenses for a show nothing beats the Nikkor 70-200mm F 2.8 VR (or for Canon the 70-200mm F 2.8 IS), but it's NOT cheap. Nikon makes a "cheap" telephoto, the 70-300mm 4 - 5.6. It's a sharp lens in good light, a little slower to focus than some of the big dollar lenses and has a tendency to have chromatic aberrations in REALLY bright, direct light (that blue halo). It's VERY easily fixed with a program or action created by photographer, Shay Stephens (I can give you the link to this too, if you want it). Nikon also introduced the 15-200 VR, it's an amazing versitile walk about lens and allows wide angle and telephoto shooting, but there is usually a waiting list for it.

I checked out the IS lenses when I first purchased my Canon camera and thought I would check to see how the lenses I bought already would work for what I wanted. But now I would like something a bit better for action shots, so thanks for the recommendation! :razz:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Regarding lenses, I believe your 75-300 4-5.6, does it have IS? The problem with this lens is that at 75mm you have an okay aperature opening of F4 however at 300mm you've stopped down to F5.6. This decreases the shutter speed and widens the depth of field, making your background less blurred. Good bokeh (blur) is almost as important as sharp focus on the main subject. I sold my 70-300mm 4-5.6 to a beginning photographer in Ohio. It can take really nice pictures in good light.

129551196-M-4.jpg

96696432-M-2.jpg

109286769-M-2.jpg

and it struggles in low light
97996507-M-3.jpg

113087947-M.jpg

101899253-M-2.jpg

103996029-M.jpg

The 18-55 is also a 3.5-5.6 I believe, and while it's speed and range won't get you much for sports it is a nice lens for long exposure photography.

120229890-M.jpg

105509758-M.jpg

If you want to spend the money the 70-200 F2.8 IS is the way to go, if you want something almost as nice Sigma makes a comparable lens. Either way you want to look for something fast (fixed aperature of F4 or faster).

Loper

Animal Poor!
Phyxius said:
Regarding lenses, I believe your 75-300 4-5.6, does it have IS? The problem with this lens is that at 75mm you have an okay aperature opening of F4 however at 300mm you've stopped down to F5.6. This decreases the shutter speed and widens the depth of field, making your background less blurred. Good bokeh (blur) is almost as important as sharp focus on the main subject. I sold my 70-300mm 4-5.6 to a beginning photographer in Ohio. It can take really nice pictures in good light.

The 18-55 is also a 3.5-5.6 I believe, and while it's speed and range won't get you much for sports it is a nice lens for long exposure photography.

If you want to spend the money the 70-200 F2.8 IS is the way to go, if you want something almost as nice Sigma makes a comparable lens. Either way you want to look for something fast (fixed aperature of F4 or faster).

I have been doing some research between the Canon and Sigma... reviews from people that have owned and used both are that they are very close with Sigma lacking in some things and Canon lacking in others. Yet, the Sigma is about 1,000.00 less. Which one to pick? and my 75-300mm does not have IS, I have read some really nice things about IS

Loper

Animal Poor!
Phyxius said:

OK I went with the Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS and it should be here by Monday :yahoo: Anyone want to sign up to be my guinea pig ... I will need to practice some jump shots :lmao:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Loper said:
OK I went with the Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS and it should be here by Monday :yahoo: Anyone want to sign up to be my guinea pig ... I will need to practice some jump shots :lmao:

Holy cow, that's AWESOME!! Def. use the IS, the lens is heavy and the IS will save your photos. I leave the tripod mount on and use it so that it rests on my hand. Make sure that when it's on the body that you support the camera by the lens. The mount could twist.

Congrats on a gorgeous piece of professional equipment! You'll LOVE it. I'm also a wimp and always keep a UV filter on my lenses to protect them from dust and scratches, the big ones are hard to find though.

Here's a discussion of the lens from a photography forum I belong to. -> http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=36284&highlight=70-200

Congrats again on joining the white lens L group.

What mode do you usually shoot in? For a horse show I'd stay in Aperature simply because it's a PITA to change constantly for different color horses and if the light is good the camera is smart enough to get the shutter speed. If the light is crap I stay in full manual. Oh, and keep the lens hood on when shooting, helps prevent ghosting.

:yahoo:

:starcat:

Last edited:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Phyxius said:
Holy cow, that's AWESOME!! Def. use the IS, the lens is heavy and the IS will save your photos. I leave the tripod mount on and use it so that it rests on my hand. Make sure that when it's on the body that you support the camera by the lens. The mount could twist.

Congrats on a gorgeous piece of professional equipment! You'll LOVE it. I'm also a wimp and always keep a UV filter on my lenses to protect them from dust and scratches, the big ones are hard to find though.

Here's a discussion of the lens from a photography forum I belong to. -> http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=36284&highlight=70-200

What mode do you usually shoot in? For a horse show I'd stay in Aperature simply because it's a PITA to change constantly for different color horses and if the light is good the camera is smart enough to get the shutter speed. If the light is crap I stay in full manual. Oh, and keep the lens hood on when shooting, helps prevent ghosting.

Once Sadie is jumping again I would love for you to take some shots of her. You are fabulous! Hopefully that will be soon.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Sadielady said:
Once Sadie is jumping again I would love for you to take some shots of her. You are fabulous! Hopefully that will be soon.

:huggy: Thanks!! I missed what was wrong, but hopefully all will be well soon!

Loper

Animal Poor!
Phyxius said:

:diva: Hell, I went ahead and purchased the extended warranty, extra lens case, lens cover, 3 filters kit, and a cleaning pen... but I don't think I got the hood... for the price of that puppy, it's coming straight out the box and into a UV filter :faint: Mode wise the Canon is pretty good normally in it's prefixed modes to use, although I have been venturing out and trying different settings in the Aperature Mode.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Phyxius said:
:huggy: Thanks!! I missed what was wrong, but hopefully all will be well soon!
Nothing was wrong with her except she didn't want to slow down. I figured we probably needed brakes before we did anymore jumping! :starcat:

Loper

Animal Poor!
Phyxius said:
the lens comes with it's own lens case and hood. :)

:whistle: Here I thought I was doing good, and ordering everything I thought I would need to protect it right from the beginning. Now I'll have extras! :whistle: You burst my bubble too quick... :killingme You should have waited until I opened the box before telling me I was an IDIOT... :lmao:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Loper said:
:whistle: Here I thought I was doing good, and ordering everything I thought I would need to protect it right from the beginning. Now I'll have extras! :whistle: You burst my bubble too quick... :killingme You should have waited until I opened the box before telling me I was an IDIOT... :lmao:

:lmao:

9424.jpg
Here is a picture of the lens with hood and tripod mount attached, with the case next to it. :)

Now you need something to hold all of it in....
Tamrac -
http://www.tamrac.com/

Crumpler -
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/manufacturer~man~Crumpler~categoryid~153.html

Lowepro -
http://www.lowepro.com/products/

Loper

Animal Poor!
Phyxius said:
:lmao:
Here is a picture of the lens with hood and tripod mount attached, with the case next to it. :)
QUOTE]

OK, I feel a little bit better since I ordered the lens coat! But my hubby says you suck and stop giving me ideas. :lmao: