MVA Real ID License Renewal

awpitt

Main Streeter
Okay, this is interesting. I received my new driver's license today. I went back to the MVA website to see if it is REAL ID compliant, and it came back... No. :lmao:

That is just so wrong. I think it's time that people start "spamming" our elected officials. I understand what the DMV is trying to accomplish but I think they're going about it all wrong.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'm guessing that there is one (maybe two) MVA employee up in Glen Burnie, who's job is to check each set of scanned documents with their Mk 1 Mod 0 eyeball before checking the Compliant box in the REAL ID database.

Miker/t

I mean is there any way around it...

Passport or 2 of the below from what I can tell.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Being that he's still on AD, I would think a copy of his State Income Tax return would be enough to prove residency.
We had Vermont registration for the years we were in college there, plus my wife's time in the USAF, about 18 years total.
One of the secretaries in the engineering department would let you keep a mailbox on her porch, her house number was 12, ours was # 12 1/2, next came 12 1/3, 12 1/4...she'd forward any mail...always had one non-essential bill go to that address. Vermont did most everything by mail than, after the initial visit to the DMV.

We kept that because at the time, Vermont did not tax military pay.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
This just in...

MDOT MVA adds more than 2,700 extra appointments to weekly schedule to address REAL ID customer needs

Eight high-volume branch offices extend appointments on Tuesdays and Saturdays through May 4

GLEN BURNIE (March 7, 2019) – With the October 1, 2020, deadline to get federally-required REAL ID driver's licenses or ID cards, the Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration (MDOT MVA) has added more than 2,700 extra appointments a week. MDOT MVA has permanently added more than 1,900 appointments to its weekly schedule to address the needs of customers statewide. In addition, on March 6, eight branches that handle a high volume of driver's license transactions added more than 800 appointments during extended hours on Tuesdays and Saturdays through May 4. Customers with appointments are guaranteed to be seen within 15 minutes of their scheduled time.

"MDOT MVA is committed to providing premier customer service to the citizens of Maryland," said Administrator Chrissy Nizer. "During high-volume periods, an appointment is a great way to ensure that you can complete your transaction quickly. We understand how valuable our customers' time is and our goal is to make your visit to MDOT MVA as simple as possible."

Statewide, 1,915 appointments a week have been permanently added during extended hours on Thursdays when branches are open until 6:30 p.m. and during traditional hours Monday through Friday.

At the eight high-volume branches – Annapolis, Belair, Columbia, Glen Burnie, Largo, Parkville, Waldorf and Walnut Hill – 806 appointments a week have been added through May 4. These extra appointments are during extended hours on Tuesdays, when the branches will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., and extended hours on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

MDOT MVA has a 98 percent customer satisfaction rate for the professionalism, friendliness and helpfulness of employees. The agency is in the process of hiring up to 100 additional staff to ensure these high standards remain in place.

To make a REAL ID visit to MDOT MVA simple, customers are encouraged to visit the REAL ID webpage at www.mva.maryland.gov/realid. In addition to a guide that allows customers to go through a checklist of common documents acceptable for REAL ID, the website contains a toolkit with videos, sample communication and more to help prepare family, friends, employees, constituents, students and many other groups for the October 1, 2020, REAL ID deadline. The website also walks people through making an online appointment. In another customer service effort, MDOT MVA recently began calling customers to remind them of their appointments and ensure they are well prepared for a REAL ID visit.

MDOT MVA is committed to communicating about REAL ID to all Marylanders. As part of this outreach effort, MDOT MVA is partnering with BWI Marshall Airport to advertise REAL ID at information kiosks, flight departure boards, baggage claim areas and more.

The federal REAL ID Act, created post 9/11, creates a security standard for driver's licenses and identification cards nationwide. The federal REAL ID Act requires Maryland residents to bring in documentation of age and identity, social security, and two documents proving a Maryland residential address to meet federal security standards for state-issued licenses and identification cards. Effective October 1, 2020, Marylanders must have all official documents on file and be REAL ID compliant in order to use a state-issued driver's license or identification card to board an airplane or visit federal government facilities.

John Z

if you will
I just went through the renewal in late December. Got appointment, gathered docs, went in, everything went smoothly.

Then because of this thread, went to the MVA website to check REAL ID status. If you are getting "no...." like this, I believe that means your ID is compliant.

Attachments

• RealID.JPG
    RealID.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 165

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
So, if one doesn't ever plan to fly or visit a federal facility, a Real ID isn't actually required?

stgislander

PREMO Member
I just went through the renewal in late December. Got appointment, gathered docs, went in, everything went smoothly.

Then because of this thread, went to the MVA website to check REAL ID status. If you are getting "no...." like this, I believe that means your ID is compliant.
Good point. Going back and looking at the wording of the question and the answer, it appears that my DL is compliant.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No.

Or, if one does plan to fly or visit a federal facility and they have a U.S. Passport, Real ID doesn't matter.
That's why I'm not stressing the RealID mess...I always use my passport as IOD at airports anyway.

nobody really

I need a nap
whats funny is you jump through all these hoops to prove who you are, and yet, you can choose an x for gender neutral. I mean, if you're proving who you are, doesn't that include if your a male or female?

Reactions: BOP

BernieP

Resident PIA
whats funny is you jump through all these hoops to prove who you are, and yet, you can choose an x for gender neutral. I mean, if you're proving who you are, doesn't that include if your a male or female?

I think they should have to prove the "X" applies.