MVA Real ID License Renewal

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I don't see what all the big fuss is. I'm still using the old school licence without an problems. I'm glad I never updated to that new crab licence.
I have the crab, as does my wife.
She got an email alert last week that we will need to pay the$20 and get the star even though the crab is compliant.

Just got back from DMV. Probably not easy for working folks who have things to do on a Saturday, but this is THE BEST time to go. There was no one there, no lines at at anywhere. I was literally in and out in 5 minutes, and really didn't need that appointment.

Side note: a laminated SS card IS ok if it can be clearly read. Attendant said they are not supposed to, but because so many people have them laminated, they will accept them. I'm sure there will be that attendant that sticks to their guns and won't.... Don't know about more recent SS cards, but back in the '60s when I got mine, it came as a card with two parts. You signed both and detached the actual SS card to use. The stub (which I still have and brought with me) has your signature and the SS number on it and can be used as well as the SS card itself.

Catman2

Just got back from DMV. Probably not easy for working folks who have things to do on a Saturday, but this is THE BEST time to go. There was no one there, no lines at at anywhere. I was literally in and out in 5 minutes, and really didn't need that appointment.

Side note: a laminated SS card IS ok if it can be clearly read. Attendant said they are not supposed to, but because so many people have them laminated, they will accept them. I'm sure there will be that attendant that sticks to their guns and won't.... Don't know about more recent SS cards, but back in the '60s when I got mine, it came as a card with two parts. You signed both and detached the actual SS card to use. The stub (which I still have and brought with me) has your signature and the SS number on it and can be used as well as the SS card itself.
Doesn't the SSC say "not for identification "?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Sure does. But the DMV checklist for RealID lists the SSC as valid ID.

That's odd. Neither my SS card from 1975 nor the new one I got three weeks ago say anything about good or not good for Identification. Having said that, the Maryland Real ID list DOES NOT list the SSC as a valid ID.

Goes to this Website: http://license.mva.maryland.gov/CheckList/default.aspx

Select "To present Real ID documents" and go through the exercise.

The first step is proof of age and identity. You will find the the social security card is not one of the acceptable documents.

The second step is Proof of social security. This is where you need your social security card or your most recent W-2 that shows your social security number or a SSA-1099.

The third step is where you need two proofs of residential address. Utility bills, banks statements, etc.

You're just splitting hairs. Every piece of document you use is to prove who you are. Proving Social Security is again a reaffirmation that you are who you say you are, even if they call it something else.

awpitt

Main Streeter
You're just splitting hairs. Every piece of document you use is to prove who you are. Proving Social Security is again a reaffirmation that you are who you say you are, even if they call it something else.

I'm not "splitting hairs". I'm stating what the MVA site says and what they use each document for. The MVA uses the SS card to verify that the person is authorized to work in the U.S. which is a federal Real ID requirement.

If a person shows a SS card but fails to show any of the documents listed under Step One (proof of age and identity), they will not be issued a Real ID compliant license.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
... And while every born in the USA Maryland resident is jumping through fire hoops and killing a leave day to produce documents proving they're a citizen for MVA... Every border jumping, river crossing illegal is still able to get a MD Permit.

stgislander

PREMO Member
... And while every born in the USA Maryland resident is jumping through fire hoops and killing a leave day to produce documents proving they're a citizen for MVA... Every border jumping, river crossing illegal is still able to get a MD Permit.
Yes, but they won't be able to fly on an airplane. Don't you feel safer knowing that?

I better put this here just in case. :sarcasm:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I finally received an email notification that my license wasn't compliant, which I already knew, even though it has the REAL ID star and doesn't expire until 2025. I have until May 12, 2020 to bring in my documents, which I already have and just need to schedule an appointment. :yay: