MVA Real ID License Renewal

Clem72

I finally received an email notification that my license wasn't compliant, which I already knew, even though it has the REAL ID star and doesn't expire until 2025. I have until May 12, 2020 to bring in my documents, which I already have and just need to schedule an appointment. :yay:

Mine expires in 2021, I haven't received any such letter.

Clem72

This was an email. I haven't yet received a letter in the snail mail. :sshrug:

So I just went to the MVA website, says Real ID is required prior to October 2020. Then I checked my license number and it says I haven't been set an appointment and I can just bring my documents when I renew my license, or I can come early and pay $20 to upgrade my license. My renewal is in 2021.

So it sounds like they decided I needed to pay them $20.

awpitt

Main Streeter
So I just went to the MVA website, says Real ID is required prior to October 2020. Then I checked my license number and it says I haven't been set an appointment and I can just bring my documents when I renew my license, or I can come early and pay $20 to upgrade my license. My renewal is in 2021.

So it sounds like they decided I needed to pay them $20.

You have to make the appointment yourself. If you're only going there to show your Real ID docs, you don't have to pay. If you're going there to show Real ID docs and to renew, or just to renew, then the fee applies.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Kudos to the Prince Frederick MVA, just went by and did the real id. documentation and everything went very smoothly. They were very organized and friendly and i was in and out even with the line ,i was out in under 25 minutes.

We all have to deal with MVA. I want to know how you are doing. :) I, also, noticed, just the other day that in the bottom left of my hub’s license says Veteran. We got 11% off at Harris Teeter on Vet Day. God bless the USA.

Last edited:

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Kudos to the Prince Frederick MVA, just went by and did the real id. documentation and everything went very smoothly. They were very organized and friendly and i was in and out even with the line ,i was out in under 25 minutes.
I still need to go up to Prince Frederick and get mine done. Wish I could schedule an appointment there but they do not have that ability. I will show up early when they open and hopefully it goes quickly.

awpitt

Main Streeter

That's great. Have to give it to the Loveville office though. My Real ID appointment took 13 minutes from walking in to walking out.

awpitt

Main Streeter
We all have to deal with MVA. I want to know how you are doing. :) I, also, noticed, just the other day that in the bottom left of my hub’s license says Veteran. We got 11% off at Harris Teeter on Vet Day. God bless the USA.

Yes. Any Veteran can bring their DD-214 to the MVA and they'll get the Veteran designation on their license. I did mine a year ago. Also, the VA offers a Veterans Identification Card.

idiganthro

I just went on Thursday.
Appointment was 2:00 pm.
Showed up at 1:40.
Out the door at 1:45.
Awesome.

That was my exact experience also, a total non-event. Gathered the docs, set appt and was in/out in minutes. Not sure why it's even an issue.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That was my exact experience also, a total non-event. Gathered the docs, set appt and was in/out in minutes. Not sure why it's even an issue.

It's been an issue for some folks for two key reasons. 1) didn't have 100% of the correct documents required 2) didn't use the new appointment system, which does work remarkably well, I must say.

I almost tripped up on the document requirement...they said "Voter ID" was accepted. On a hunch, I brought other "extra" documents on the list because my voter ID has my PO box and not my street address. A good hunch, as it turned out...saved me another trip.

officeguy

Because people don't understand instructions, show up without the required documentation and expect to get it done during peak demand time at the MVA. Then they have a 1hr wait and are sent home to get the documents (btw if you come back with the documents, you go straight to the appointment desk and it's a 5min visit the second time around....I hear).

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Glen Burnie, MD - November 21, 2019 – The Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration (MDOT MVA) will close all branch offices and VEIP stations Thursday, November 28, 2019 in observance of Thanksgiving. All MDOT MVA offices and VEIP stations will reopen Friday, November 29, 2019 at 8:30 a.m. Customers are encouraged to take care of their MDOT MVA business on Black Friday when historically volume at branch offices has been lighter. Customers looking to become REAL ID compliant are encouraged to make an appointment. Currently there are more than 2,000 appointments still available statewide on November 29 for REAL ID services.

https://www.thebaynet.com/articles/...-a-real-id-appointment-this-black-friday.html

Goldenhawk

Because people don't understand instructions

I'd amend that to "because people don't READ the instructions." The MVA has a VERY clear checklist with plenty of details and explanation. There's no excuse for showing up without the right paperwork. And backup "just in case" additional paperwork would be pretty smart.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I scheduled my appointment for two weeks from now.

Did you know that I can not only check Male or Female, I can be Unspecified or Other? Perhaps I should be a Furry...