"My kids are my life."

I agree with you. We are in that process now of teaching our three year old to be independent once again. We had her that way until me moved out here and grammy spoiled her. Now my youngest I did that too, and we are trying to get her indenpendent as well. What I said and what I was thinking may not have been made clear by my post, and I can't retract it now and try to explain it since I was thinking what I posted really late at night. I do however agree with what you said and I am sorry if my post made anyone think anything different.
:huggy: Three is a wild and crazy age! And the fun is just beginning!

SShewbert

What love is all about
She will be 4 in December. I ask my husband all the time what happened. Before we moved out here she had all her manners. She had a bed time, and did not fight us over it. Just everything was great. Then we moved here and I do not know if it was all because grammy spoiled her or partly due also to us having another baby, but she just kind of reverted. Oh well we are working on it and trying to get her back. She is a really great kid all in all.

She will be 4 in December. I ask my husband all the time what happened. Before we moved out here she had all her manners. She had a bed time, and did not fight us over it. Just everything was great. Then we moved here and I do not know if it was all because grammy spoiled her or partly due also to us having another baby, but she just kind of reverted. Oh well we are working on it and trying to get her back. She is a really great kid all in all.
I went through exactly the same scenario with my first born. He was just shy of 3 when I had my second baby. He was a sweet, well-mannered baby than toddler than two year old. But when he hit 3...:faint: Terrible twos had nothin' on 3... :lol:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
My life revolves around my children. I can't imagine that not being the norm for a parent.

Many positives come from this:
If I didn't have kids, I'd probably never go on vacation.
If I didn't have kids, I may not have met the parents from school and sports who have become excellent friends.
If I didn't have kids, I would never have had the joy of seeing the world with a sense of wonder. It happens as a child but as an adult we become too jaded.
I only own a home in order to have one for the children. I would probablly live in a very small apartment.

I just can't see any negatives. I was never the "all about me" person so I never felt that I "lost" anything by putting my children above myself.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Many positives come from this:
If I didn't have kids, I'd probably never go on vacation.
If I didn't have kids, I may not have met the parents from school and sports who have become excellent friends.
If I didn't have kids, I would never have had the joy of seeing the world with a sense of wonder. It happens as a child but as an adult we become too jaded.
I only own a home in order to have one for the children. I would probablly live in a very small apartment.

See, and I have been raising children since I was 19 years old, so:

I go on vacations now to places that I wouldn't have gone when I had kids.

I have friends of my own making, not just convenience friends who are parents of my kids' friends.

I'm seeing a whole new world of wonder because I have time to do things I've never done before.

I own a home big enough for the kids to come visit, and also so that I can have packs of friends over to party. When they all leave, my house is clean, tranquil and quiet again.

I'm a happy little empty-nester. :dance:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly

I have friends of my own making, not just convenience friends who are parents of my kids' friends.

I'm seeing a whole new world of wonder because I have time to do things I've never done before.

I own a home big enough for the kids to come visit, and also so that I can have packs of friends over to party. When they all leave, my house is clean, tranquil and quiet again.

You have a ten year start on me. :lol:
But just in case someone thought I was saying something negative - I've also got the same friends I had before kids or marriage - I travelled extensively before the age of 30, but I'm a lot thriftier now -I owned my own home for years before kids, but since I would have divorced either way I wouldn't have made the investment in a house on my own because I hate yard work.

poster

I hear women say this all the time. To me, it sounds like they give up everything for their kids. No more hobbies, no more friends, etc. Their whole entire life revolves around their children.

Do you think someone would be a bad mother if she said, "I love my kids, but I am still a person, not just a mom." If she went out and made time for herself, and didn't let her entire world revolve around being a mother.

Is it possible to have a life and be a mother? At least when the child is young?

Does that mean a woman should give up everything for her kids? Never take time for herself? I can understand that kids mean the world to them, but to say they have nothing outside of their kids?

I think you're just interpreting this in the wrong way.

When you're a parent your priorities in life shift (or should).
Your kids come first without exception. You'll make your plans around your kids schedules, but you still make your own plans.

IMO it's not healthy to be so attatched that you "lose" yourself.
It's not good for you or the kids. Part of your job as a parent is to raise a responsible and independent person. How can that be acheived if they're always clinging to you.

Momma bird kicking her babies out of the nest starts early, night stays at family member's houses, afternoon play dates at friends houses. If I didn't step away now and again I'd go insane. "Mommy" time is deserved and needed even if it's just a trip to the store or a weekend away with hubby.

T

toppick08

:coffee:

M

Mousebaby

:yay:........Like the Volunteer Shirt.....Go SEC, except when they play Southern Miss......:lmao:

This is going to sound really weird but, I didn't even notice what shirt he had on when he left earlier. :lol: Are you saying he had on his Tennessee shirt?

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
My kids are my life because I choose for them to be. I chose to have kids and make them my life. I wanted a lot out of my life but my main thing was kids. That is what I chose over everything because I want to be able to be running around with my kids, I want to be able to play with them and be that "room mom" in school (if they still have those). I want to do everything for my kids that my mom wasn't able to, but I wanted her too. She was a single parent and had to work to support me she did the best for me.

The point is not whether you can go and do stuff without the kids. I think everyone needs a little time away or you will go nuts. The point is how much of your time you take away. If you are not willing to give of yourself unselfishly 24/7 then maybe as another stated it is not time to have kids.

To me if I was to put myself ahead of my kids at any point I would be neglecting them.

Yes, they still do have that. I was requested by my son's school to come in and help if I wanted to.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Here ya go:

Attachments

• Ihavepuppies.gif
    Ihavepuppies.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 63