"My Ring is Bigger than Yours"

W

wkndbeacher

CRoyal said:
What is it with some women and the size of the engagement ring? I was out last weekend @ a local bar and all the attention was on this woman and her new monstrosity of a ring. She said that since he got her such a large stone now, he doesn’t have to ‘upgrade’ her later. Sick... Not to mention they haven’t even been dating a year. It gets better.
At this gathering was another woman is also recently engaged. This woman tore her fiancé a new ####### because HER ring was not as big as the other woman’s. I mean, out in public telling him what an awful person he was because her ring is 'too small'. In front of everyone. She WALKED home from the place in tears, leaving the fiancé sitting there feeling like absolute crap. I think he should have taken the ring back right then and there. Clearly that didn’t happen. I detest materialist people
What the hell is going on? Why is this huge burden put on the man to get some amazing piece of jewelry that is already overpriced? Just so they can prove who has more money to WASTE? Freaking put a down payment on a house, not blow so much money on a ring. Why can’t women stfu and be glad they have a man willing to put up with their shallow values? Anyone else see this happening??

You know something...I deal with other ppls finances everyday and I can honestly tell you that alot of ppl liv beyond their means and cant really afford their lifesytle that they grown accustomed to and thats one of the main reasons foreclosures are becoming more popular, because ppl refi and refi to draw all the equity out and often times try to pay more then the house is actually worth.

cvizzy

For me it was about my husband picking out the ring, it was the thought behind it. How he gave it to me was very special too. The size of the ring was never in the discussions about how I got engaged. But I too also did not upsize for my 10 years, We redid our kitchen. When I am asked where my anniversary ring is I say it is too big for my finger and you have to come by the house to see it.... LOL

Redskinsmama

I personally want a big engagement ring. Call me materialistic if you want, but jewelry has been my number one passion since i could walk. My family does not pass down furniture as heirlooms, we pass down jewelry. I don't want my engagement ring to be like any other piece of jewelry i own. Kudos for most of you out there that would rather have houses, etc. but that ain't me babe, no no no it ain't meeee babe! I would not go around waving my engagement ring around to make people jealous, nor would i cry if my friend had a bigger ring, but for me, the engagement ring is the single most important piece of jewelry and woman will ever own, and i want mine to be amazing.

on a similar, but different topic....

what about people that throw lavish weddings? what do we think about this?

or people that spend $50K on a car?

where's the outrage?

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Redskinsmama said:
I personally want a big engagement ring. Call me materialistic if you want, but jewelry has been my number one passion since i could walk. My family does not pass down furniture as heirlooms, we pass down jewelry. I don't want my engagement ring to be like any other piece of jewelry i own. Kudos for most of you out there that would rather have houses, etc. but that ain't me babe, no no no it ain't meeee babe! I would not go around waving my engagement ring around to make people jealous, nor would i cry if my friend had a bigger ring, but for me, the engagement ring is the single most important piece of jewelry and woman will ever own, and i want mine to be amazing.

on a similar, but different topic....

what about people that throw lavish weddings? what do we think about this?

or people that spend $50K on a car?

where's the outrage?
Let's not worry about if he loves you or not. Just the size of the ring

Redskinsmama

mv_princess said:
Let's not worry about if he loves you or not. Just the size of the ring

lame response. that's not the case at all. If i was with a man that loved me that much, then they would know how important it was to me. It has nothing to do with keeping up with the jones', it's my personal style...in matters of jewelry (and a couple other things) i think bigger is better.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Redskinsmama said:
lame response. that's not the case at all. If i was with a man that loved me that much, then they would know how important it was to me. It has nothing to do with keeping up with the jones', it's my personal style...in matters of jewelry (and a couple other things) i think bigger is better.
I suppose. Now that you explained it the rest of the way.

cvizzy

If you don't have the money then don't spent it. If you do and that is what you chose to spend it on good for you. But if you are doing it to keep up with the Jones's then in my opinion that is sad. And btw for those trying to keep up with the Jones's you will never catch up because they are trying to keep up with someone else.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Redskinsmama said:
just as it has to be love when he puts a little ring on your finger.
So let me ask you this...not trying to be an ass but trying to figure it out...

If you are in love with a guy, and say he can't afford to get a nice big ring, but wants to get married. Do you say no until he gets you the ring? Or say yes and be happy that you got anything at all?

Gwydion

Redskinsmama said:

But by this standard, you will be overlooking anybody that could possibly be the man of your dreams, yet doesn't want to spend $40k on a ring. Shallow? A bit. Materialistic? Yes.

Have fun getting married when your 60.

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
Someone I thought was a good friend until... well we won't go there. But any way, when I got my ring from the current and she seen it, her response was "oh, hummm nice." I like my ring, single diamond, princess cut, high in color and clarity. Her ring.... she has two diamonds set on each side of the main diamond. I would have loved to take her ring and mine to a jeweler and ask which ring had the better quality diamond in it. Mine probably cost just as much as hers, b/c of the better diamond.
Most girls/women don't look at that aspect of it. That just want the 15 carat diamond b/c it bigger then yours.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
mv_princess said:
If you are in love with a guy, and say he can't afford to get a nice big ring, but wants to get married. Do you say no until he gets you the ring? Or say yes and be happy that you got anything at all?
Woman (and men) who want to keep up with the Jones' will more than likely only date those who can afford to.

Redskinsmama

mv_princess said:
So let me ask you this...not trying to be an ass but trying to figure it out...

ok i'm just going to say it and take my verbal lashings from the masses...everyone that knows me knows my love of jewerly. i would like to think that if a man was going to propose to me, he would save to make it happen because he knows how much it means to me. I can't tell you honestly what i would say b/c i never felt marriage on the horizon. maybe when i meet the right person, my views on this will completely change and i won't care about the ring.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You're not liestening...

Gwydion said:
But by this standard, you will be overlooking anybody that could possibly be the man of your dreams, yet doesn't want to spend $40k on a ring. Shallow? A bit. Materialistic? Yes.

Have fun getting married when your 60.

...to what she is saying; By definition, her definition, the man of her dreams WILL buy her the ring she wants. And 'shallow' and 'materialistic' are matters of opinion.

There are plenty of men who want expensive jewelry on their lady and, for that matter, on themselves. I mean, we're talking taste here, what an individual likes. Better to know you want a rock and a man who will give it to you than settle for the 'man of your dreams' who not only won't get it for you but doesn't agree with you wanting it in the first place. Again, that is not HER 'man of her dreams'.