Negros and menthol cigarettes

Kinnakeet

Ever see the commercial with the black guy talking about smoking and the last bit states cigarette companies are targeting black men with menthol cigarettes

WingsOfGold

No secrets, coloreds love menthol. Shame on me, started out with Belair I think circa 1970 ish. Back then coloreds loved Kool, I guess it was kool. I never understood why they opened them from bottom of the pack, that too must have been kool. Stupid chucks never picked up on that but the trash whites like their pants down past their knees, smart ones realize it's easier to run from the poleeeeice maybe, IDK.
Doesn't affect me, don't know, don't care.
😒

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

SamSpade

Back when I used to smoke - I smoked mostly menthols. I think I'd been smoking them for years before someone told me it was a black thing.

I actually used to smoke something I think they were called "arctic lights" and someone called them ice cream cigarettes.

luvmygdaughters

When I first started smoking, it was Marlboro Reds. Smoked them for years. When they got to be $5.00 a pack, I tried to quit. Someone suggested I switch to menthol cigarettes, something about it would be easier to quit if I was smoking a cigarette I didnt like. Well, needless to say, I am still smoking and yes...its menthol. Used to be Benson & Hedges, now its Virginia Slims.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Way back when I started smoking, HS, it was Marlboro Red. I switched to Camels for a short then back to the Reds. If I bummed a smoke from a woman it was usually Salems or some other menthol.

Quit for 20 years, had a stressful period in my 50s where I started up again, smoking was the better stress releiving option, and flipped between marlboro Reds and Smooths (Menthol) and back again. They were a little less harsh than I remember Kools or Salems being, but not pleasant in any way.

Never smoked a Newport but always heard they were really strong.

Salmon

Ever see the commercial with the black guy talking about smoking and the last bit states cigarette companies are targeting black men with menthol cigarettes
Tobacco companies routinely targeted BIPOC communities with aggressive advertising

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Marlboro Red smokers on the ship would also carry a pack of unfiltered Camels. Kept other guys from bumming cigarettes after they ran out.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
The Marlboro Red smokers on the ship would also carry a pack of unfiltered Camels. Kept other guys from bumming cigarettes after they ran out.
Must be a generational thing, because that wouldn’t have stopped my group. We grew up with aunts, uncles and parents all smoking lucky strikes, Pall mall Reds and Chesterfields.

:lmao: