Neighbors Vs. Pitbull

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Renegade: good thread. :yay:

And yes, if the situation is as you have stated, your neighbors are being sneaky. If you see someone coming up to tour the house, I say that would make a fine time to take the pups outside for some catch or tug or just enjoying the weather. :biggrin:

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
my neighbors 2 dogs bark all the time. I have never said anything and my other neighbors do not want to say anything. Maybe your dogs bark more then you realize. It is annoying as hell.

FED_UP

Howdy all,
We recently moved into a small neighborhood in Huntingtown. We like to keep to ourselves but unfortunately could only afford a .68 acre property at this point in our lives. When we moved in, none, and I repeat none, of our neighbors came by and introduced themselves. This includes the neighbors to the right who, as it turns out, know my mother (the curse of living in the county you grew up in).

My husband and I have two pugs, a pitbull, and three cats. My little twist to the story is that the pitbull is a product of a previous relationship, and I have split custody with my ex. We keep him for a few weeks, ex keeps him, and so on. We have a fenced backyard whereas my ex does not, but we have a much easier time finding pet sitters for two pugs than two pugs and a pitbull, which is why the situation works out for us.

Moving on.... the neighbors to the right have been trying to sell their house for several months. Their first complaint was that possible owners would not like cats roaming on their property. Ok, we keep them inside and built an outdoor cage for them to spend some time outside. I can understand that our pets do not belong on other people's property.

Today, my mother forwards me an email from this neighbor saying they have been trying to talk to my husband and myself about the pitbull. The neighbors have a family interested in buying the house but the family does not like pitbulls. Could I possibly keep the pitbull at my ex's house for a few months and then see how it goes from there? They would love to sit down and talk with my husband and I about the situation and see what we can work out.

This, to put it mildly, upset me greatly. One, can you talk to me? Leave a note on the door asking us to call you? Not sell a house next to three dogs to people that hate dogs? Something? What would happen "in a few months" when I brought the pitbull back? They would magically be okay with him? :tantrum: to say the least.

So I think about it. Figure maybe I can talk to them like civil people. Maybe work something out. Then I get home from work.

There's a notice from Animal Control that says someone lodged a complaint, but it does not say what said complaint is. I call the number for the nice officer. Left a voicemail. No response yet.

The notice from Animal Control was left at approximately the exact same time as the nice neighbor emailed my mom asking if we could work this out.

WTF?

So opinions please? Has your neighbor ever asked you to change something so they can sell their house? Remove your children perhaps?

Any one have any idea what charges Animal Control might be able to make? The pitbull is licensed and up to date on shots and not in North or Chesapeake Beach. He does bark at someone if they come near the chain-link fence. He has never viciously attacked anyone that I know of. The worst he will do is hump your leg to death (although he is neutered).

Any pitbull lovers out there that want to protest with us?

Thanks for any input and letting me vent.

It’s well known that pitts are psychotic; I can understand why the neighbors are not at ease. It was sleazy how they went about it though.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
OK wait... are your dogs in the yard all day while you are at work?

They have a dog door where they can be inside or outside. No, I do not have a log of how much time they spend outside vs. inside.

The wife has said herself the dogs mostly spend time on the deck (the opposite side of the house from these neighbors).

ACO says it was a barking complaint on the pitbull. He recommened a bark collar but said that we are not violating any rules. We're glad that he is being reasonable.

Note that the neighbors on the other side of them have a dog that barks. And the neighbors on the other side of us have yorkies, a weiner dog mix, and a chihuahua mix. Not the most silent of dogs....

And the pugs often instigate the barking contests with our left-side neighbors dogs, and are full-time dogs. But no complaint about them. Huh.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
my neighbors 2 dogs bark all the time. I have never said anything and my other neighbors do not want to say anything. Maybe your dogs bark more then you realize. It is annoying as hell.

I understand it can be annoying. But if I don't know it's taking place while I am at work....... how can I fix it? When I am home the dogs spend most of their time outside sleeping or playing with each other. I only hear/see them bark when the left-side neighbor's dogs come outside and charge the fence. If they are barking for several minutes while we are home, we do call them inside.

I guess my point is that these neighbors should be willing to talk to us without having to call the authorities. Not do both at the same time. How can they expect us to have a reasonable conversation when they called Animal Control?

Cowgirl

I understand it can be annoying. But if I don't know it's taking place while I am at work....... how can I fix it?

Leave them inside! I wouldn't trust my dogs outside unattended while I'm at work all day. You never know what people will do (let them out, poison them, etc). Maybe that's me being paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid and have healthy dogs than be trusting and have dead dogs. :shrug:

thatguy

I understand it can be annoying. But if I don't know it's taking place while I am at work....... how can I fix it? When I am home the dogs spend most of their time outside sleeping or playing with each other. I only hear/see them bark when the left-side neighbor's dogs come outside and charge the fence. If they are barking for several minutes while we are home, we do call them inside.

I guess my point is that these neighbors should be willing to talk to us without having to call the authorities. Not do both at the same time. How can they expect us to have a reasonable conversation when they called Animal Control?

that was exactly my point, if you leave your dog oyutside while you are at work how do you know what is happening.
I know i would be pissed if my neighbor left their dog outside all day to bark its azz off.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
If it's so bad, why doesn't someone say something? If everyone agrees it is that bad, the annoyed neighbors could talk to the neighbor with the dogs as a group. Hard to complain when you have done nothing to remedy it. :shrug:

I wouldn't trust my dogs outside unattended while I'm at work all day. You never know what people will do (let them out, poison them, etc).
Or steal them... Especially a pit, given the type of people who are drawn to Pits so often.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Leave them inside! I wouldn't trust my dogs outside unattended while I'm at work all day. You never know what people will do (let them out, poison them, etc). Maybe that's me being paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid and have healthy dogs than be trusting and have dead dogs. :shrug:

:yeahthat:

LadyWolf

Your neighbors are clearly very childish. Ignore them, ignore their "attempts" to talk to you, and you do your thing. Kindly suggest to your mother than you will not discuss this with her and that she shouldn't allow herself to be put in the middle of this situation. As long as your dog is licensed, healthy, on a leash when it's outdoors or in a fenced area, there is nothing Animal Control or your neighbors can do to you or your dog. Some people think they have the right to inject their thoughts/beliefs on you, but they’d be wrong.

I agree!!! :yay: It isn't your neighbors business of what you do with your animals as long as there is no harm to either animal or person. However...if these people are insistent, be careful w/your dog. If they have issues, you might find the dog dead, poisoned, you just never know with people. I'm sorry to say that, but it's true. Animal Control can't do anything to you about your dog if it's all legal!!!

C

CalvertNewbie

Cowgirl is right. My friend had a sweet dalmation who had a doggie door into his fenced in backyard. A neighbor and my friend got into a pretty heated argument one night and a few days later he came home to his dog barely alive in the backyard. He rushed the dog to the vet and they determined that "someone" had thrown rat poison over the fence. Hmmmm, wonder who? His neighbor's comment......"I told you not to "F" with me".

I agree!!! :yay: It isn't your neighbors business of what you do with your animals as long as there is no harm to either animal or person. However...if these people are insistent, be careful w/your dog. If they have issues, you might find the dog dead, poisoned, you just never know with people. I'm sorry to say that, but it's true. Animal Control can't do anything to you about your dog if it's all legal!!!

Sad but true. They're obviously shady by the way they've handled things so far. I'd like to hope that they wouldn't resort to doing anything evil to your dog but you never know. If I were you, I'd get rid of the doggy door. If you need a petsitter to stop by while you're at work, I have someone who we trust completely.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
this makes me sad ..I have a very sweet pitty and my neighbors bring their little kids to visit him...I hate when people get so narrowminded and ridiculous. Though, as mentioned before I would nix the doggy door..people are nuts. I am glad AC is being good about it..and I wouldn't speak to those folks ever again. They could suck it as far as I'm concerned. And I would be taking pitty for a walk whenever I see people over there :evil:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
With someone filing a complaint it looks as if they might be laying the ground work for your dogs to be considered a public nuisance..

SECTION VIII – PUBLIC NUISANCE

A. Any dog or cat that barks or makes other harsh excessive noises so as to disturb the quiet, comfort, and repose of a member or members of the community as reflected by persons with normal sensitivities to noise, molests or bites passerby, runs at large, chases vehicles, attacks other domestic animals, deposits excretory matter on property other than that of the owner, shall be deemed a public nuisance.

B. It shall be unlawful for anyone to own or harbor a public nuisance dog or cat as herein before described.
1. The Animal Control Officer is authorized to impound any dog or cat that barks or makes other harsh or excessive noises so as to disturb the quiet, comfort, and repose of a member of the community as reflected by persons with normal sensitivities to noise if:​
A. The Animal Control Officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the offensive behavior of the dog or cat has disturbed the peace for two or more consecutive days; and​
B. The owner of the dog or cat has been convicted on at least two (2) occasions within the preceding twelve months of owning or harboring a public nuisance dog or cat.​
2. Any dog or cat impounded by the Animal Control Officer, pursuant to Paragraph 1 above, shall be maintained at the Animal Shelter until the citation issued to the owner of the impounded dog or cat is brought to trial and the Court orders the return of the dog or cat to its owner. If the owner is found guilty, the Court shall order the defendant to reimburse the Board of County Commissioners for the expense of housing the dog or cat.​
3. In addition to imposing the fines provided for in this ordinance, the court may order such equitable relief that it deems necessary to require the owner of the offending dog or cat to abate that activity making the dog or cat a public nuisance.​
A. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions, hunting dogs barking while in the supervised pursuit of game shall not be considered a public nuisance.​

FED_UP

With someone filing a complaint it looks as if they might be laying the ground work for your dogs to be considered a public nuisance..

Even though I don't like Pits, I have to agree with your statement; one of their neighbors obviously does not like their dog and slowly setting the stage for some BS. Cowards won't even confront them first. Frustrating not knowing who it is for sure.

poster

This won't matter to AC.
Just speak with them, explain the situation, show them the email and point out the time frame. Let them know there's been no neighbor to neighbor contact. Ask that the information be noted in the report if there is one and do whatever they ask of you.

Not surprised that AC was called as most people will call rather than deal face-to-face as they don't know what kind of reaction they'll get.

FED_UP

this makes me sad ..I have a very sweet pitty and my neighbors bring their little kids to visit him...I hate when people get so narrowminded and ridiculous. Though, as mentioned before I would nix the doggy door..people are nuts. I am glad AC is being good about it..and I wouldn't speak to those folks ever again. They could suck it as far as I'm concerned. And I would be taking pitty for a walk whenever I see people over there :evil:

Suck what :shrug:

officeguy

I would be curious to hear the neighbors side of the story, their perception of how you acted after moving into the neighborhood, what your dogs do in your absence etc.

How about you leave them a note that you would like to talk to them.

thatguy

I would be curious to hear the neighbors side of the story, their perception of how you acted after moving into the neighborhood, what your dogs do in your absence etc.

:yeahthat:
seems like the otehr side just might have an issue with a pit left unattended in the yard all day (if it stays in the yard that is).

FED_UP

How about you leave them a note that you would like to talk to them.

Why leave a note? I think he knows when his neighbor is home. That just as bad as that punk email.