Neighbors Vs. Pitbull

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Wow, thanks for all the conversation.

As pointed out by several people, the issue here is not if my dog is dangerous. Just that my neighbors feel some people might view him as dangerous. Which is understandable.

Emailing my mom instead of talking to me does not handle the problem. Calling animal control does not handle the problem.

The ACO politely informed the neighbors that we are allowed to keep whatever breed of dog we want in the back yard. The neighbors did not mention the pugs to the ACO, even though in my experience, they do more of the barking (Napoleonic complex and all that).

I believe that if my mom never informed the neighbors that he is a pitbull, we wouldn't even be having this issue.

Anywho, I know an agent at the realty company they are using and informed her of the situation. We are willing to work with potential buyers, but we don't want anything to do with the sellers.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
The fact remains that the OP is not violating any laws by allowing her dogs to use a doggie door to get in/out at will.

It's basically about the neighbors being afraid of certain dogs, and/or not liking barking dogs when their house is being shown for sale. The neighbor can't control what goes on next door at the OP's house/yard unless a law is being broken.

It's a tough housing market, and having barking dogs close by may deter some buyers that are not dog-oriented people. Considering how many people have pets in this Country, I doubt that more than a few potential buyers would be deterred.

:love: Thank you! Why would I want non-dog people living next to me? Then we'll have this same issue until one of us moves. So it's to our benefit to keep the dogs out there so the buyers are aware of what they are getting.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
If your dogs are confined to your yard and have not broken out, the ball is back in their court. There are a whole host of reasons I would think it would be fair of them to ask you to resolve (related to pets). But if it's the fact that breed scares someone, then they (the neighbor) might want to consider a privacy fence. They can put up solid (wood) fence that would not allow people to see your yard (and hence the dogs) from their property.

I have thought about getting a lot of fencing company pamphlets and accidently leaving them in the neighbor's mailbox. :evil:

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
However......think, your selling your house. Everytime a potential buyer comes by the dog next door stands and barks continually while they're viewing the home. As a seller I would be upset over this. Why? Because I would not leave my dog alone outiside to bark it's head off at anyone. I don't think in that situation it's unreasable to ask the dog be kept inside. Because of the disturbance - not the type of dog.

The yorkie, wiener dog, and chihuahua mix were all outside barking when we were previewing the house we ended up buying. We did find it a little annoying, but we also knew that our dogs would probably do the same thing once we moved in. Dogs bark at people or dogs in other yards. Walk through North Beach one day. You will have dogs meeting you at every other fence barking their head off.

We wouldn't be nearly as upset if the neighbors had talked to us instead of calling the AC and trying to sweet talk my mom.

officeguy

As pointed out by several people, the issue here is not if my dog is dangerous. Just that my neighbors feel some people might view him as dangerous. Which is understandable.

The issue is very much whether your dog is dangerous.

It would be surprising if this is the last time that you talk to AC. If you like your dog, make sure that it never has opportunity to do anything that would get AC back into the game. This time around, all the neighbors had was the barking. If you dog gets out and chases a bicycle, you'll see another of these notices posted on your door.

dawn

that was exactly my point, if you leave your dog oyutside while you are at work how do you know what is happening.
I know i would be pissed if my neighbor left their dog outside all day to bark its azz off.

The man next to us leaves his window open everyday (at least when its nice) and I swear his dog has a perch at the window, because that dog YAPS all day long, at squirrels, rabbits, birds, crickets, spiders, you name it! So the dog doesnt have to be outside to hear the barking!

Hell no I'm not ashamed. They are a proven killer breed and I despise them. They're all lovable pets until a child is mauled.

We had a pit bull (that I saved from a family that fought the her) that bit ZERO (0) times....we have a Chihuahua that we got from a rescue and has bit/snapped at my son 2 times......

CrazyAchmed

We're not talking about fighting dogs. Pits don't have to be trained to fight, maul or kill. It's a natural instinct.

We should get a ban going against all things(this would include people, since we are the worst violators in history) in nature since well, its natural instinct for everything to kill everything else. Maybe not trees? Most seem pretty non-violent, except the ones with thorns.

To the OP, being a dog lover and dog owner my dog (not a pit bull or pit bull type), would strongly suggest blocking the dog door and preventing un-supervised time outside at all during the day while you are not at home. This could cause AC to come back for any one of a number of reasons that you have no control over because, well...you weren't there.

It is irritating to see that your neighbor can't talk to you directly and instead resorts to e-mailing your mother or mother inlaw, and filed a complaint with AC.

bulldog

Split hairs all you want there's virtually no difference between a pit and a pit type. How many Dachshunds (spelled correctly since you can't) have killed or mauled children?? :duh:

Unusual as it may be, my best friend has a very aggressive Dachshund. Aggressive to other people and especially other dogs.
This does not address the "killed or mauled children", but point being...any dog can be aggressive. I have no doubt that this dog could kill a small child if conditions were right.

Cowgirl

S-H-E-P-H-E-R-D
It really is easy. Shepherd. Shep, like sheep. Herd, like a herding dog. NOT shepard or sheperd.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
My opinion is VERY educated. Do some searches on here. It's a killer breed and I wouldn't buy a house next to one.
You even admit you don't know if it's attacked or not.

Famous last words: "He wouldn't harm a fly."

As any animal owner knows, all animals bite. To say anything other than that, uneducated. I sure would not want to live next to a neighbor with a pit bull. Your decision to get a pit bull vs say a golden retriever or a mutt tells me something about the person and where their properties are.

Last edited:

Cowgirl

As any animal owner knows, all animals bite. To say anything other than that, uneducated. I sure would not want to live next to a neighbor with a pit bull. Your decision to get a pit bull vs say a golden retriever or a mute tells me something about the person and where their properties are.

:confused: People keep mutes as pets? Guess there's no barking that way.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Hmm exactly where ARE the priorities of those people?

As any animal owner knows, all animals bite. To say anything other than that, uneducated. I sure would not want to live next to a neighbor with a pit bull. Your decision to get a pit bull vs say a golden retriever or a mute tells me something about the person and where their properties are.

bulldog

The yorkie, wiener dog, and chihuahua mix were all outside barking when we were previewing the house we ended up buying. We did find it a little annoying, but we also knew that our dogs would probably do the same thing once we moved in. Dogs bark at people or dogs in other yards. Walk through North Beach one day. You will have dogs meeting you at every other fence barking their head off.

We wouldn't be nearly as upset if the neighbors had talked to us instead of calling the AC and trying to sweet talk my mom.

You want them to talk to you face-to-face, yet you want to put fliers in their mail box. :killingme

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
TurboK9;4421459 Or drown in bath tubs? [/QUOTE said:
The other day my neighbors tub jumped the fence and attacked a kid in the neighborhood.

I think your choice of dog is a reflection on the owner, just like a car (and maybe even a bathtub). If you chose to have a breed that has a reputation, so be it, it is your choice. Just don't expect me to support it by "saying" only abused pets bite. Being a pet owner most of my life, our nice little mutt bite another dog that was bothering her after owner her for 8 years and never biting before. ALL ANIMALS BITES and caution should be considered no matter what anyone says. I bet every pet owner has one story of their pet getting out of the yard or off the leash. I would rather have my kids encounter a toy poodle than a rot or pit bull. I do not know why that would not be reasonable. I think there is a lot of denial about what your lovely pet can really do.

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Well since YOU picked a few breeds you don't like - let's just kill 'em all. How about the breed you have? maybe I don't like THAT breed so let's kill all those too. By the time we get done killing and banning critters there won't be ANY left.

Once all the animals are gone, we can start picking out the TYPES of people we don't want around and kill them off too. Let's start with people who like Rock music, and add in all the brunettes - those brunettes are vicious people you know - well not all of them, but enough that we should just destroy them all, and ban them.

You sound absolutely ridiculous.

The other day my neighbors tub jumped the fence and attacked a kid in the neighborhood.

I think your choice of dog is a reflection on the owner, just like a car (and maybe even a bathtub). If you chose to have a breed that has a reputation, so be it, it is your choice. Just don't expect me to support it by "saying" only abused pets bite. Being a pet owner most of my life, our nice little mute bite another dog that was bothering her after owner her for 8 years and never biting before. ALL ANIMALS BITES and caution should be considered no matter what anyone says. I bet every pet owner has one story of their pet getting out of the yard or off the leash. I would rather have my kids encounter a toy poodle than a rot or pit bull. I do not know why that would not be reasonable. I think there is a lot of denial about what your lovely pet can really do.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
I agree!!! :yay: It isn't your neighbors business of what you do with your animals as long as there is no harm to either animal or person. However...if these people are insistent, be careful w/your dog. If they have issues, you might find the dog dead, poisoned, you just never know with people. I'm sorry to say that, but it's true. Animal Control can't do anything to you about your dog if it's all legal!!!

In Calvert County a barking dog can be considered a nuisance and you can be charged.