Never Been There...

portlandann

Hi All ~
This is my deal. I live in Portland, Ore (which I absolutely LOVE) and through some bizarre circumstances (that I really don't need to get into) I'm toying with the idea of being open to moving out your way. More specifically, Lexington.

My problem. I've never been out there & honestly haven't heard the best things about Lexington from my friend. I really want to be objective about this & give it a fair chance...

So this is where you all come into the picture. Tell me your opinions...PLEASE!

I'm a very active person, I love our first thursday gallery walks (here in PDX), I love all of the things to do at any given time. I also must say I love the weather (it really doesn't rain 3/4's of the year like everyone says). I love the ability to be 30 minutes to an hour away from tons of hiking spots or amazing skiing...not to mention the beach. There is definitely a reason people from everywhere else keep moving to Portland. I'm not too heavy of a partier - but I definitely like going out during the week. I like and have learned that I require culture in my life. I appreciate it. It makes me a better person all around.

Ugh, I'm sure you're wondering why I would even consider moving (considering I love it so much here)...but still I say, it doesn't really matter. I just am. So everyone, please hit me with your best shot. Tell me what Maryland is really like. Tell me what life in Lexington would really be like!!! Would I be bored as hell? Would I love it? Do I really need to drive a good hour & a half to get to any culture??? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!! Obviously I wouldn't do any kind of a blind move - I would make a good handful of visits until I was pretty sure one way or another...I truely appreciate your feedback!

Oh, and one more thing. I smile alot & am a pretty happy person...I have been told by my friend (his words, not mine) that it's true that east coast people are cold. As in, not really warm & inviting to others. I have no problems meeting people or making friends - but being honest, I am used to friendly people. Just another issue for you to touch on!

Cheers,
Sarah in Portland:cheers:

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Hi Sarah! :howdy:

My Aunt lives in Portland.

Are you contemplating a move here to be with someone?

SxyPrincess

Sarah,

:howdy: and welcome! We are more than happy to accept transplants, just as long they don't talk 'smack' about us 'smibs. :biggrin:

I live in Bryantown, MD which is between Waldorf and Hughesville. It's not as far south as Lexington Park, but I'm close enough to Waldorf if I need to go shopping, or to the movies..etc.

Can't say that I've ever been to Portland, so I can't offer any comparisons. My opinion would be to take a vacation here, and see whether or not you could find yourself living in the place for a long period of time.

Best of luck to you! :cheers:

yakky doodle

Originally posted by portlandann
Hi All ~
This is my deal. I live in Portland, Ore (which I absolutely LOVE) and through some bizarre circumstances (that I really don't need to get into) I'm toying with the idea of being open to moving out your way. More specifically, Lexington.

Lexington Park? or do you have this site confused with one from Kentucky? :confused:

at any rate :howdy:

sounds like where you aren't ain't too bad (from what it sounds like you like to do). we have beaches, horse-&-buggies (amish folks), and finally a republican governor :cheers: -- not too bad! :biggrin:

Last edited:
K

Kain99

Hey Sarah,

I love Southern Maryland. It is beautiful here. Beaches, Sunsets the whole deal.

But, I've also spent time in Portland. In all honesty, if you leave to come here your going to wanna die.

No comparison. I've spent the last 9 years trying to get back to Seattle.

If you had come here from almost anywhere else, I would have said move today and never look back.

You wanted the truth and the truth is you should stay in the North West.

:smile:

portlandann

Sorry 'bout that one...

Yes, Lexington Park. I just figured you all would know what & where I was talking about. My bad.

-See, that's what I'm talking about, I go to Seattle at least once a month to visit friends. Not to mention that I also used to live there. And to be even more honest, the only reason I don't or haven't moved back is because of the unGodly traffic! Portland has it soooo much more under control. UGHHHH, thanks so much for your honesty. Please keep it coming though. I really want as many peoples opinions as possible...as it is looking like it might be awhile before I come out.

Last edited:
K

Katie

I moved here from Mass. back in May 01 and love it here. There are somedays like when I want to go to a great mall that I hate it, But being SO close to the water is wonderful. The sunsets are to die for especially when you are on the water.

In the summer time you can buy fresh veggies from all the roadstands and you can buy things crafted by the Amish to. The furniture is beautiful, expensive but beautiful.

The people for the most part are really nice. I have only met a few people that rubbed me the wrong way but no one is nearly as rude as living in Boston. Where give you the finger as they cut you off.

Steve

Enjoying life!

I like and have learned that I require culture in my life.

The closest culture would be DC, about 75 minutes from Lexington Park.

I have been told by my friend (his words, not mine) that it's true that east coast people are cold. As in, not really warm & inviting to others.

Not true at all. Just like it's not true that west coast people are all narcissistic a-holes.

portlandann

Ouch Steve...

That sucks if people really think that - I guess the more common stereotype that is given to us NW-er's is the whole tree-hugger, very political hippie thang!

Although, I am very liberal minded. But still. And just so you know, I wasn't taking some passive aggressive attack on east coasters (in any way).

It was just a weird comment that was made to me the other night on the phone. I wasn't really sure what to make of it. So I thought I would add it in.

J

justhangn

Re: Ouch Steve...

It was just a weird comment that was made to me the other night on the phone. I wasn't really sure what to make of it. So I thought I would add it in.

Regardless of where you are from, everyone and everywhere else is substandard.

It's human nature to fear and ridicule the unknown.

Steve

Enjoying life!
That's not the first time I've heard that comment from west coasters. I grew up in Philly so I'm used to the East coast and the people here. Stay away from New Yorkers, they are mean. So are a lot of people from Philly, come to think of it. But those are 'city folk', just miserable in general. Most of the east coast is not city, of course. And most are really nice and friendly here.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
First off, St. Mary's County is quite a rural area that has seen a boom in population, traffic and construction over the past five to seven years. If you were to work on the base or near there, the traffic going and leaving can be hectic, but probably nothing like that of Portland. Most skiing and hiking activities are two to three hours away at least from Lexington Park. Baltimore is probably an hour-and-a-half away; DC probably an hour and Annapolis probably an hour, too. I don't know what a gallery walk is, but I do know I've never heard of one around here. If you're more into the arts/literature/museum activities, there is not a lot of that in this area. Our only nearby museums are mostly related to our heritage on the water. People who are used to short drives to "culture activities" generally have not liked the area. We've had several arguments on these boards w/ people who can't stand it here. Generally people in this area are very welcoming and nice to newcomers, but beware the folks who hate the construction boom we've been under and for lord's sake don't put down the "county" or southern Maryland. We love it here and you'll be told if you don't like it here, you are certainly welcome to leave. Good luck.

portlandann

Last thing I'll say about it...

But that was my whole point of putting that comment in my post to begin with. It was my friend who is from the East Coast said it. It wasn't me...I've been to Washington DC once and that was for only a couple of days - not to mention, YEARS AGO. So I really have nothing to base my own opinion on - i.e. why I started this post to begin with. My intention when I started this post was in no way to create some East Coast vs. West Coast thing. I'm really sorry that for whatever reason it has. I don't think ever I came off as rude. My bad, if I did. I was being geniune in my request for thoughts, that's all. Thank you to all who have.

-Thank You So Much Tipsy for your honesty and candidness!

Last edited:
J

justhangn

Re: Last thing I'll say about it...

East Coast vs. West Coast thing

Kind of proved his/her point huh? :twitch: :roflmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I would suggest coming for a visit in the middle of summer and check everything out, including the muggy weather. Oy....

I am from the San Francisco area and I love it here. Been here 12 years now. :smile:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by RoseRed
I am from the San Francisco area and I love it here. Been here 12 years now. :smile:

and the best thing is, nothing shows when she wears a skirt. :roflmao: