Never Been There...

SmallTown

Football season!
1) Beaches.. Just dont mistake our beaches for "ocean" beaches.. If you are on the bay, you get the "bay smell" and nasty crud that washes up.. The river beaches tend to be cleaner, but a little rocky. But you can't get some nice sunsets if you are in the right spot.. Nothing like I saw when I was in California, but still good.

2) Not a lot of good hiking trails around here.. A couple that lead to the water..

3) From my experience out west, as well as friends who are from out there, there is definately a different mentality here on the "other coast"... People here tend to be a little more uptight and agressive. (this is mostly with the north eastern section, from Va, Md, DC and on up)

4) If you do come here, just smile and nod when talking to people, regardless how you feel about it.. East coasters are quick to argue about everything from who has the best car, what beer is best, who has the bigger house.. Just let us have our few minutes of bragging without interruptions and we'll both be happy.

5) Not sure about portland, but be ready to hand your paycheck to the government when you come here.. years of democratic control has made maryland one of the highest taxed states out there (and somehow one with a very large debt, still don't get that)

6) You are about 3 hours or so to "real" beaches, 1.5 hours to DC so there are some nice daytrip/weekend trip opportunities.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by SmallTown
People here tend to be a little more uptight and agressive. (this is mostly with the north eastern section, from Va, Md, DC and on up)

What are you saying??!!
sauer007.gif
sauer046.gif
:roflmao:

Steve

Enjoying life!
3) From my experience out west, as well as friends who are from out there, there is definately a different mentality here on the "other coast"... People here tend to be a little more uptight and agressive. (this is mostly with the north eastern section, from Va, Md, DC and on up)

I like to think of us East Coasters as "practical".

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by Steve
Uhhh...was I being rude? Anyone?

No...

No matter what this area does for him/her, they will still long for the west coast..Every bad day, every slight will be remembered and the good things ignored. Its all human nature..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Oh, and SmallTown...

Originally posted by Steve
We are not the "other coast". We are the "original coast".
The "right" coast. :biggrin:

Portlandann Keep in mind that Smalltown hates it down here and takes every opportunity to badmouth it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Re: Re: Oh, and SmallTown...

Originally posted by RoseRed

Portlandann Keep in mind that Smalltown hates it down here and takes every opportunity to badmouth it.

Uh-oh.......

Steve

Enjoying life!

Duh! Of course, my bad. You mean as opposed to the "left" coast. How silly of me. :smile:

yakky doodle

true dat! :biggrin: see, we don't have a pottery barn in the lower end of southern maryland, and this is a true injustice! :rolleyes:

but we do have a starbucks now! :cheers:

SmallTown

Football season!

I didn't take this chance to badmouth it..

Man.. And I was just saying nice things about you in another thread about how nice and young you looked, and this is the thanks I get.. Oh well, i tried..

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Re: Re: Re: Oh, and SmallTown...

Man.. And I was just saying nice things about you in another thread about how nice and young you looked, and this is the thanks I get.. Oh well, i tried..

You're not allowed to say nice things about anyone else. You're my biatch now! :lol:

SmallTown

Football season!

Originally posted by yakky doodle
true dat! :biggrin: see, we don't have a pottery barn in the lower end of southern maryland, and this is a true injustice! :rolleyes:

but we do have a starbucks now! :cheers:

My one goal before I leave to to convince the people here there ARE other places to shop for things for the house besides wal-mart. But we do have pier-1, a small less expensive version of a pottery barn, so things are improving!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hi Sarah. I'm from Nebraska and I find East Coasters to be decidedly unfriendly and terse. But St. Mary's Countians (which is where Lex Park is) are very nice - must be a rural thing.

If you're big into nightlife, the area is boring. If, like me, you're more about friends rather than places, you won't be bored at all.

As far as culture goes, depends on what you consider "culture". There's always something going on at the college and DC/Baltimore is only about an hour or so away. We have no professional sports teams in SoMD - softball is the big one down here. There is no symphony or ballet, not even really any theater groups.

You'll travel about 2 hours to get to a mediocre ski place. But if you like watersports, this is the place to be. We're practically surrounded by water so most people boat, waterski, sail, windsurf, etc. The beaches suck.

SmallTown said that there are no hiking or bike trails - not true. There are several clubs that don't seem to have a problem finding trails.

K

Kain99

Pictures just don't tell teh whole story ST...

Rosered is one of the few who cannot be bought. :wink:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde

SmallTown said that there are no hiking or bike trails - not true. There are several clubs that don't seem to have a problem finding trails.

I guess the ones I mentioned that lead to water don't really exist? I only said there is not a lot of trails.. Being from the mountains, the number of trails, as well as types of trails, are limited here.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Thanks for the complement, it is appreciated.

I guess a few things that I took offence to are:

2) Not a lot of good hiking trails around here.. A couple that lead to the water..
There are quite a few places to enjoy the water. I am not familiar with the complete tri-county area, but what about Point Lookout State Park, St. Mary's Lake, Elm's Beach, St. Mary's College, Greenwell State Park, Sotterley, Jefferson Patterson Park? Anyone else care to add?

All the local people I have met here are far from uptight. I seem to get more of that from the "elite" transplants who find themselves to good for this place.

4) If you do come here, just smile and nod when talking to people, regardless how you feel about it.. East coasters are quick to argue about everything from who has the best car, what beer is best, who has the bigger house.. Just let us have our few minutes of bragging without interruptions and we'll both be happy.
If the shoe fits....

:cheers:

Steve

Enjoying life!
Wait A Minute, Vrai!

Originally posted by vraiblonde
I'm from Nebraska and I find East Coasters to be decidedly unfriendly and terse.

Everyone outside of Nebraska is decidedly unfriendly and terse.

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh, and SmallTown...

Thanks for the complement, it is appreciated.

I guess a few things that I took offence to are:

There are quite a few places to enjoy the water. I am not familiar with the complete tri-county area, but what about Point Lookout State Park, St. Mary's Lake, Elm's Beach, St. Mary's College, Greenwell State Park, Sotterley, Jefferson Patterson Park? Anyone else care to add?

All the local people I have met here are far from uptight. I seem to get more of that from the "elite" transplants who find themselves to good for this place.

If the shoe fits....

1) Wasn't talking about places to enjoy the water, but rather hiking trails
2) We were talking about the East coast in general. There is more to the East coast than Saint Marys County, and many of the people who live here in the country are not originally from here.

3) At least my post about people arguing about nothing is holding true..:cheers:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My two cents

Funny, people from the East Coast think the West Coasters have an air about them....people from the West Coast think the same about the East Coasters. Everybody knows people from the south are redneck bigots, everyone in West Virginia is inbred, the list goes on......

For the most part, it's a matter of growing up in an area and developing your likes and dislikes and what you get used to.

Smalltown, it's not arguing...it's discussing with emotion and that's what this (and many others) board is all about.:biggrin:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh, and SmallTown...

1) Wasn't talking about places to enjoy the water, but rather hiking trails
2) We were talking about the East coast in general. There is more to the East coast than Saint Marys County, and many of the people who live here in the country are not originally from here.
3) At least my post about people arguing about nothing is holding true..:cheers:

1) I guess I was mistaken about the posted trails at Greenwell and Jefferson Patterson.
2) I am aware that there is a whole East coast, not just SMC, I like what Vari said
"Hi Sarah. I'm from Nebraska and I find East Coasters to be decidedly unfriendly and terse. But St. Mary's Countians (which is where Lex Park is) are very nice - must be a rural thing. "
3) Whatever