New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
I'll bite...wtf is "H. P. Lovecraft"?
:lmao:

Something between Edgar Allen Poe and Stephen King.

41ymdbqp11S._AC_SY780_.jpg

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Something from the mind of H.P. Lovecraft.
My wife grew up in Wilbraham, MA. Lovecraft's family had a summer place on Wilbraham Mountain.
Behind the houses across the street from my in-laws' home are the swamps that figure as terrain in some of his stories.

SamSpade

Although I think I have read everything Lovecraft ever wrote - pretty sure Wendigo is Indian folklore, although it's gruesome.

What's weird is, in EVERY depiction of them in movies or TV, they all differ in what they look like or how they do what they do or how they come to exist. The only common thread is hunger and cannibalism.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Although I think I have read everything Lovecraft ever wrote - pretty sure Wendigo is Indian folklore, although it's gruesome.

What's weird is, in EVERY depiction of them in movies or TV, they all differ in what they look like or how they do what they do or how they come to exist. The only common thread is hunger and cannibalism.
I might have it confused with someone elses book.

SamSpade

I might have it confused with someone elses book.
Hey, you're cool enough to have read Lovecraft. Did you know that Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard - creator of Conan the Barbarian (and others) were friends (at least, through years of correspondence). He made close to nothing for all his best known work - which was largely unknown until decades after his death.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Is anybody still digging manoes around here or have they gone extinct?
From the northeast, we called them soft shell clams. Lots of places to get them, although the places I used to get them I would no longer consider clean waters.

In looking for pictures of them, I came a cross a Marshall's seafood on Facebook who still harvests and sells, so apparently they are still around.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Hey, you're cool enough to have read Lovecraft. Did you know that Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard - creator of Conan the Barbarian (and others) were friends (at least, through years of correspondence). He made close to nothing for all his best known work - which was largely unknown until decades after his death.
I have everything I could find of Lovecraft's work. August Derleth was very thorough in preserving and curating the stories.
We read "Dunwich Horror" and "The Color Out Of Space" in 8th grade English class.

He and Howard did indeed correspond, also have everything Howard wrote. This includes an anthology edited by David Drake entitled "Cthulhu The Mythos and Other Horrors."

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Oddly enough, I turned on the new Netflix movie, The Pale Blue Eye, and one of the main characters is Edgar Allen Poe.