New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

BlueSunday

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Old news..June 24, 2015

It was the most recent I could find dealing with the merger itself.

I posted links but the poster refuse's to read the facts in the links which are nether pro or anti Union.Giant isn't close to "going out of business" as the poster attests too.

Here I will post another link that shows it has been done before.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...sons-safeway-sell-168-stores-condition-merger

The anti-union sentiments are astounding sometimes.

Anyone who thought that the merged company wouldn't close stores, especially when they were in close proximity like in Prince Frederick, doesn't understand how businesses operate sometimes.

It was the same when Exxon and Mobil merged a few years ago, the combined company had to divest itself of some locations because of anti-trust and competition regulations.

And companies, any company no matter what it does, close underperforming facilities every week.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I didn't say it did,I said it had been done before and link the article to show the facts.Just trying to explain the business world to you .

Where is the link that the FTC is demanding only certain stores can occupy closed Food Lions and Giants?

That's the post I called Blueballs out on. Hmmmmmm BlueSunday/BigBlue, pro Union, posts late at night.......
Your grammar, spelling and typing are much better though. So are you his new MPD helper?

PS. I'm pretty good on the business world. I don't need a Union lacky to explain it to me

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Pho Saigon is out and done. A new restaurant by a familiar face will be reopening it soon.

BlueSunday

Where is the link that the FTC is demanding only certain stores can occupy closed Food Lions and Giants?

That's the post I called Blueballs out on. Hmmmmmm BlueSunday/BigBlue, pro Union, posts late at night.......
Your grammar, spelling and typing are much better though. So are you his new MPD helper?

PS. I'm pretty good on the business world. I don't need a Union lacky to explain it to me

I have no idea what it is you are talking about.I posted two links to articles showing how the FTC has made companies that merge divest some of their holdings this is common knowledge in the business world except you seem not to want to understand it.

There is no mention of Giant Food/Food Lion but it might help you in your understanding of the situation.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Acquisitions_and_mergers.aspx

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/mergers-and-competition/merger-review

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I have no idea what it is you are talking about.I posted two links to articles showing how the FTC has made companies that merge divest some of their holdings this is common knowledge in the business world except you seem not to want to understand it.

There is no mention of Giant Food/Food Lion but it might help you in your understanding of the situation.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Acquisitions_and_mergers.aspx

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/mergers-and-competition/merger-review

Then you need to read the prior posts before you post stupid ####....

Posted by BigBlue.....post #1000

"Watch out for a new influx of semi rumors about "new grocery stores" in the area.Giant and Food Lion must sell some stores in this area due to the merger of both parent companies ,Giants for sure are Accokeek and LaPlata and Food Lions in Upper Marlboro and on RT 5 in Waldorf .FTC rules say they must be sold to like companies ,meaning no Whole Foods or Wegman's or Trader Joe's or Aldi's more like a Publix,Harris Teeter or Safeway."

ltown81

It was the most recent I could find dealing with the merger itself.

The anti-union sentiments are astounding sometimes.

Anyone who thought that the merged company wouldn't close stores, especially when they were in close proximity like in Prince Frederick, doesn't understand how businesses operate sometimes.

It was the same when Exxon and Mobil merged a few years ago, the combined company had to divest itself of some locations because of anti-trust and competition regulations.

And companies, any company no matter what it does, close underperforming facilities every week.

I remember back in the day, I knew a girl who lived a pretty nice life. Lived in a nice house..parents bought her a new car at 16. We were talking, and she said her dad was a checkout person at Safeway. I responded pretty confused because they lived a nice life and all. She said he made $25 an hour in his union job and had been doing it for 25 years.

I never have hated on anyone union who gets a nice living wage. The issue is as a society, only the lowest price matters. That is why Walmart with its dirty, huge, PITA stores with huge lines and $11 an hour checkers can blow a nice chain like Giant out the water. People would rather save $.50 on eggs than shop at a store that costs more, but pays a living wage.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I remember back in the day, I knew a girl who lived a pretty nice life. Lived in a nice house..parents bought her a new car at 16. We were talking, and she said her dad was a checkout person at Safeway. I responded pretty confused because they lived a nice life and all. She said he made $25 an hour in his union job and had been doing it for 25 years.

I never have hated on anyone union who gets a nice living wage. The issue is as a society, only the lowest price matters. That is why Walmart with its dirty, huge, PITA stores with huge lines and $11 an hour checkers can blow a nice chain like Giant out the water. People would rather save $.50 on eggs than shop at a store that costs more, but pays a living wage.

I don't follow that rule. Walmart does not need my money. But, apparently, their business model is not working anymore and they are losing money, but that is another story/thread. I am a loyal Giant customer, and have been for a long time. If I pay a little more for eggs or whatever, I gain in gas points, plus, I find the staff at the 2 stores I shop (PF and Lusby) to be outstanding. And, I now give my gas points to my son in law who started up his own landscape co. Win/win for me.