New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

SamSpade

So...you mean basically what every non chain restaurant in SMC is?

Yep. Exactly. Pretty sure that's basically what's been tried for a while, although I kind of thought the Irish pub idea would gain traction.

I guess I am thinking of - what kind of places down here ARE already getting business? Steak houses and family type franchise restaurants.
The strip from Longhorn all the way down to Cracker Barrel is usually busy all the time.

Fast food gets business pretty much everywhere. I rarely set foot in a fast food chain anywhere in lower St Mary's county any time of day and not have a line of at least ONE.

stgislander

PREMO Member
That poor place. It's cursed. How many different businesses has that location held so far?....might be some kind of record.

I think it did fine as a Perkins. Used to eat there all the time. Always a large crowd. I've heard stories that that was an ownership problem, and not related to patronage.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I think it did fine as a Perkins. Used to eat there all the time. Always a large crowd. I've heard stories that that was an ownership problem, and not related to patronage.

Same for the Perkins at Wildwood? It seemed to do a good business...we used to have "management breakfast meetings" there on occasion.

OldHillcrestGuy

Ohhh ... and I see a sign in front of the Charlotte Hall empty lot - Charlotte Hall Station. I guess McKay's is still planning a store in that location.

http://www.shasho.com/Upload_Docs/Charlotte Hall Station.pdf

I commented on this a couple of weeks ago, when I saw the new sign up, I stopped and looked at it, and there it was McKays right in the middle of the stores in the picture.

Dear Mr. Shasho, You still check out this tread. What's up? Has this project risen from the dead again? I drive by there many times a week and every time it rains hard I watch the old muddy water flow through my neighborhood from the creek that starts on that property. I'm tired of seeing the old dried out dirt lot. Looked much better before it was cleared of all the green vegetation and trees.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I commented on this a couple of weeks ago, when I saw the new sign up, I stopped and looked at it, and there it was McKays right in the middle of the stores in the picture.

Dear Mr. Shasho, You still check out this tread. What's up? Has this project risen from the dead again? I drive by there many times a week and every time it rains hard I watch the old muddy water flow through my neighborhood from the creek that starts on that property. I'm tired of seeing the old dried out dirt lot. Looked much better before it was cleared of all the green vegetation and trees.

Per their FB page: " There were some financial issues, but the project will still take shape in one way or another...."
Someone said there was a rumor that Safeway wanted in but it was rejected due to McKays. Shasho said it's McKays property so they plan on their new store being built there unless they change their minds.

I hate the companies that leave these empty buildings everywhere. No one will probably visit that shopping center much.

Agee

McKay's is opening new stores so soon after closing a couple down? I know the one on Great Mills was run down, but it always seemed to have plenty of customers when I was there. I wonder why they didn't just remodel, it was a decent location.

Run Down? It was relatively new...

McKay's built-it strictly for their concept of a "Mega-Store", one-stop shopping. Decent concept, bad location. Albeit over the top with the amount of inventory they handled aside from the grocery store side of business.
I will say they did carry a great selection of hardware, but their produce, meats and seafood were sub-par.

Where else could you buy a sack of nails, a snow blower, pork chops and rent a cotton candy machine?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hmmmm... I wonder what happens when you put a sack of nails through a snow blower? Sounds like a, "Here, hold my beer" moment.

Your reaction to such an event would probably depend very much on where you happened to be standing at the time.

I'm guessing.

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
That poor place. It's cursed. How many different businesses has that location held so far?....might be some kind of record.

I would think you'd know the reasoning behind it. Not all but most retail leases let you get in the space for $xxx per month for 2 or 3 years. Then it becomes $xxx + % of your gross.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Perkins was an issue with the owner and the franchise. That same had Border Willy's in the Laurel Glen center and both Perkin's locations and whatever it was after Perkin's II. AFAIK, and I trust my source, it will not be re opening as Pho, it will be an American fare restaurant run by a team that knows how to really put down some good food. Unfortunately, he has ADHD when it comes to his restaurants. He sets them up, gets a strong following, then sells the place allowing the new owners to totally eff it up.