New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

littlelady

God bless the USA
Bern wants the government to pay to pay you a living wage..haha.

Are you talking to me? I know members hate when a non-political thread becomes political, but, at least, Bernie is honest about it. And, when you think about it, all topics have roots in politics. Anyway, Hillary feels the same, but would never say it until she is prez. Hope to God that never happens. She is De'pouille. Dit mon la verite'! Our country is a mess. Period.

BlueSunday

Then you need to read the prior posts before you post stupid ####....

Posted by BigBlue.....post #1000

"Watch out for a new influx of semi rumors about "new grocery stores" in the area.Giant and Food Lion must sell some stores in this area due to the merger of both parent companies ,Giants for sure are Accokeek and LaPlata and Food Lions in Upper Marlboro and on RT 5 in Waldorf .FTC rules say they must be sold to like companies ,meaning no Whole Foods or Wegman's or Trader Joe's or Aldi's more like a Publix,Harris Teeter or Safeway."

What is it that you find wrong in this post ?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
What is it that you find wrong in this post ?

It's Bull Sh|t!

If the FTC mandates, which no link has shown that they have, Food Lion and Giant to close stores, they cannot mandate who opens up in those closed locations. The FTC doesn't "mandate" who a landlord can rent to. If I own a shopping center with a Food Lion that closes and I want to rent to Whole Foods, Wegmans, or Aldis I can.

Get that though your peanut Union brain.

ltown81

So here is how this works...

If Giant/Food Lion closes a store, they still have a lease with the shopping center they most likely cannot break. These leases are normally 10 years + long and paying for a vacant store sucks a lot. Normally they would try to find some other store to take the lease off their hands and maybe even subsidize it them doing so. What the FTC is saying is they can't give that lease to certain competitors. After the lease is up, the landlord is of course free to rent to whoever.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is this is how McKays ended up in the two Superfresh locations (Wildewood, and Ltown). Superfresh closed them, but could not break the leases and was still paying on it. MaKays came in and negotiated with them and the landlord to get a deal on the spaces.

BlueSunday

So here is how this works...

If Giant/Food Lion closes a store, they still have a lease with the shopping center they most likely cannot break. These leases are normally 10 years + long and paying for a vacant store sucks a lot. Normally they would try to find some other store to take the lease off their hands and maybe even subsidize it them doing so. What the FTC is saying is they can't give that lease to certain competitors. After the lease is up, the landlord is of course free to rent to whoever.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is this is how McKays ended up in the two Superfresh locations (Wildewood, and Ltown). Superfresh closed them, but could not break the leases and was still paying on it. MaKays came in and negotiated with them and the landlord to get a deal on the spaces.

The mandate is to "sell stores" not close if the stores aren't sold they can remain open and the FTC would come up with a second list.

BlueSunday

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Your badge, sir. Thank you for your service.

grammar police.jpg

nutz

The only thing I can think of is they looked at the business all 4 stores were doing and picked the one that was the most profitable - without regard to the geography of the county.
You would think someone would look at the area and see that a good section of the county doesn't have a full service grocery store.

Think of the opportunity. You could buy the location/building and reopen it as whatever you want.