New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

BernieP

Resident PIA

ironically someone mention a dollar store (type) in the renovated building in Wildewood.
They may have been mistaken, but who knows.

FWIW, for those who long for a specific type of business, while I feel your pain, Bird Dog and awpitt make a good point.
We live in a capitalist society in the US. It's not the government's responsibility to bring the business you want to your community
It's up to the investors to decide where they will open shop.
They typically do that based on the market, they try to meet what they see as the demand.

If there are not enough people to patronize a business it doesn't make since to open - it is a "for profit" world.

Just consider this, liars figure and figures lie. When the businesses that are opening are fast food, discount stores etc., you can bet that the number of people willing to spent extra money for higher end goods and services are not sufficient.

In English, don't believe the "per capita" income touted by the government, they are put there to attract business and it appears business isn't believing them.

luvmygdaughters

Its so hard to find a decent restaurant for a meal that's worth the price. Honestly, if I want a decent steak, I cook it at home, same with crabcakes, crab imperial, steamed shrimp, etc. My cheeseburgers on the grill are to die for and my chicken enchiladas are fantastic! The only thing that I cannot replicate at home is a good, authentic, Italian dish. Would love to see an authentic Italian restaurant come to town.

Honestly, if I want a decent steak, I cook it at home,...

Speaking of which, I found something in Giant today that I haven't seen in a very long time. PRIME beef. Not Select, but prime london broil and eye round roasts. It was blister packed, but I got a london broil just to try it because I haven't had one in a long time.

But the pessimist in me says what we now call prime is what we used to call an average good cut of beef.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Never ate at that one. I've been to the LaPlata one a few times. Never had an issue. BWW wings aren't bad but anything else I've tried hasn't been that great.

There is a reason chain restaurants appear to be affordable
1. prepackaged products allow them to prepare and serve food quicker (table turnover). - It does help with a consistent product.
2. Salt, sugar and spice compensate for lower quality of the food. All natural, cooked fresh would put their menu above the price point of the target audience.

luvmygdaughters

Speaking of which, I found something in Giant today that I haven't seen in a very long time. PRIME beef. Not Select, but prime london broil and eye round roasts. It was blister packed, but I got a london broil just to try it because I haven't had one in a long time.

But the pessimist in me says what we now call prime is what we used to call an average good cut of beef.

Let me know how it is. We usually get our meats from McKays in Leonardtown. Love the fact that the butcher is onsite and will cut what I want and how I want it. Going to stop on the way home tonite to get a tenderloin roast and have them cut it for me.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've been to a few different BWW. I've always enjoyed the wings, but the interiors are so damn loud. It's like they have the room volume control set to 11.

Let me know how it is.

Eh. Grilled it outside to a perfect rare/medium rare. It didn't have the tender texture of a butcher-cut prime steak, and wasn't as flavorful as I had hoped. It wasn't bad, but I've had better Angus Select steaks. So, back to my standby.... if I want a real, premium steak, it's off to the Aberdeen Steak House.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

only a few more weeks and it's delivery day for the entire beef animal we get from Earl every year. Yippee.

On topic...I had lunch at Bottom of the Hill yesterday. First visit. Ugh...maybe it was just my menu choice....

only a few more weeks and it's delivery day for the entire beef animal we get from Earl every year. Yippee.

On topic...I had lunch at Bottom of the Hill yesterday. First visit. Ugh...maybe it was just my menu choice....

I'd love to do that, but I don't have anywhere to store it, and being single, it would freezer burn long before I could use it all.

luvmygdaughters

Eh. Grilled it outside to a perfect rare/medium rare. It didn't have the tender texture of a butcher-cut prime steak, and wasn't as flavorful as I had hoped. It wasn't bad, but I've had better Angus Select steaks. So, back to my standby.... if I want a real, premium steak, it's off to the Aberdeen Steak House.

Too Bad, that is so disappointing when you've got your mouth set for a great steak.

luvmygdaughters

I heard so many mixed reviews about this place. Still haven't tried it yet. What did you order?

OldHillcrestGuy

Where's Bottom of the Hill?

Back to new businesses coming to Southern Maryland. Just got short glimpse as I drove by, but for many many years Burch owned the corner by Randy's Ribs in Hughesville at Gallant Green and Leonardtown Rd. Many years back it was said a Burchmart was going up on the corner. Well now theres some grading and a zoning sign up and the black plastic along the property line. Guess now that the college will be opening really soon, he may feel the time is right to build something there on the corner. Burchmart with a Subway would really do good on that corner with very very few places to grab a quick bite to eat in the area.