New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

OldHillcrestGuy

I've lived there for 20 years. It's about the same as it's alway been.

Ive lived in Charlotte Hall for 35 years and Im not getting any younger, it would be nice to just drive a mile or two to a nice sitdown place to eat. Heck with O'Malleys gas tax increase I'll need shorter trips. CH is so centrally located but we all have to go 15-20 miles to get to really nice places to eat and shop.
Tequilla Grill has been as nice addition for a place to eat, but if you dont like Mexican food then its not your place to eat.
The Farmers Market is a dump and eyesore, but unfortunatly its never going to go anywhere, maybe a remoldel would help.
Fatratcat I do have to disagree about the traffic, evening rush hour has changed down here since the bypass was built, now everyone heading south have no stoplights for almost 7 miles till they hit the one at McKays at Mohawk, then it starts to backup from Golden Beach Rd. through the one at Oaks Rd. to Mohawk. Lots of people now are jumping off at Lighthouse and coming down Charlotte Hall Rd. thank goodness they put that 4 way stop sign at Oaks, or it would be hard to get across from Oaks. That rush hour problem is only about 2-3 hours a workday then things go back to normal as long as its accident free. Then Saturday there is some more traffic with the market and people heading to Waldorf and beyond to shop.

fatratcat

Ive lived in Charlotte Hall for 35 years and Im not getting any younger, it would be nice to just drive a mile or two to a nice sitdown place to eat. Heck with O'Malleys gas tax increase I'll need shorter trips. CH is so centrally located but we all have to go 15-20 miles to get to really nice places to eat and shop.
Tequilla Grill has been as nice addition for a place to eat, but if you dont like Mexican food then its not your place to eat.
The Farmers Market is a dump and eyesore, but unfortunatly its never going to go anywhere, maybe a remoldel would help.
Fatratcat I do have to disagree about the traffic, evening rush hour has changed down here since the bypass was built, now everyone heading south have no stoplights for almost 7 miles till they hit the one at McKays at Mohawk, then it starts to backup from Golden Beach Rd. through the one at Oaks Rd. to Mohawk. Lots of people now are jumping off at Lighthouse and coming down Charlotte Hall Rd. thank goodness they put that 4 way stop sign at Oaks, or it would be hard to get across from Oaks. That rush hour problem is only about 2-3 hours a workday then things go back to normal as long as its accident free. Then Saturday there is some more traffic with the market and people heading to Waldorf and beyond to shop.

You make sense. I think I just have a higher bar for what I consider traffic. To me, CH isn't much of a snarl...Brandwyine at 0700 on weekday...now that's a cluster! Just curious, why do you think the junk sale/flea market isn't going anywhere anytime soon?

OldHillcrestGuy

You make sense. I think I just have a higher bar for what I consider traffic. To me, CH isn't much of a snarl...Brandwyine at 0700 on weekday...now that's a cluster! Just curious, why do you think the junk sale/flea market isn't going anywhere anytime soon?

Yes Brandywine is a snarl, Im glad Im retired now and dont have to go through there every work day, and luckily for me I split off and headed to Upper Marlboro up 301. Its bad there most of the tme now, the backups at the light at Brandywine Rd. and 373 are bad even on the weekends.
My reason for saying that the markets not going anywhere anytime soon is because its owned by one of the good ole boys, Ben Burroughs, he owns alot of the land in Charlotte Hall or did at onetime and even if he should pass on, (he's no spring chicken) it will proably be passed down through family.

Yes Brandywine is a snarl, Im glad Im retired now and dont have to go through there every work day, and luckily for me I split off and headed to Upper Marlboro up 301. Its bad there most of the tme now, the backups at the light at Brandywine Rd. and 373 are bad even on the weekends.
My reason for saying that the markets not going anywhere anytime soon is because its owned by one of the good ole boys, Ben Burroughs, he owns alot of the land in Charlotte Hall or did at onetime and even if he should pass on, (he's no spring chicken) it will proably be passed down through family.
:yeahthat:
Another reason the junk market isn't going anywhere is that Ben and Jarboe have a serious dislike going on. Ben won't do anything to the junk market because then he'd by default be improving access to Jarboes (closed) lumber mill. He refuses to do anything that could help Jarboe.

popsicle

Pot Belly restaurant

has ads on indeed.com for a California, Md location. Does anyone know where that is going to be?

Disney4845

Commercial Guy
Route 301 Park and Ride Construction to Begin April 7 | www.charlescountymd.gov

This may be of interest to you park and riders in Waldorf:

For Immediate Release
2013-93
Monday, April 1, 2013 - 5:35pm
Route 301 Park and Ride Construction to Begin April 7

Beginning on Sunday, April 7, an improvement project at the Route 301 (Crain Highway) Park and Ride lot in Waldorf will begin.

During construction, parking spaces will be reduced and the north end of the lot will be fenced off. Commuter patrons who utilize this park and ride facility are encouraged to use parking areas at South Potomac Church (4915 Crain Highway, White Plains) or the La Plata park and ride (Washington Avenue and Heritage Green Parkway ) facilities. Both facilities have available parking. Regency Furniture Stadium (11765 St. Linus Drive, Waldorf) has available parking for both the 901 and 906 express routes.

This project will establish a separate transfer pavilion for VanGO operations for local transit patrons. This new transfer pavilion will allow all VanGO buses to stage at the same time, and will separate local transit from commuter bus operations.

Construction is expected to take up to five months to complete. Some parking will be restored at the completion of construction. Patrons can view commuter bus schedules, routes and stops online at Home | Maryland Transit Administration.

Disney4845

Commercial Guy
more new stores for waldorf

Panda Express & The Meadows Frozen Custard coming to St. Charles Towne Plaza.
Menchies frozen yogurt now open at Waldorf Marketplace

somdfunguy

not impressed
Don't forget about Hibachi in charlette hall. We have chopped jerk sammiches and uncle Si's iced tea on special all week.

highnote

organic grocer

Are we EVER going to get a whole foods or trader joes in southern MD?
Or at the very least, add a MOM's organic market in st marys.
St Marys has a lot of people that would shop at an organic grocer... but we have to drive at least 1.5 hours to get to any of them (and yes it takes me that long to get from lower st marys county to MOM's in waldorf). They would do a lot of business in st marys. Maybe MOM's could take that space in wildewood that McKays recently vacated?

somdfunguy

not impressed
St Marys has a lot of people that would shop at an organic grocer... but we have to drive at least 1.5 hours to get to any of them (and yes it takes me that long to get from lower st marys county to MOM's in waldorf). They would do a lot of business in st marys. Maybe MOM's could take that space in wildewood that McKays recently vacated?

if there was a market for one there would be one

ylexot

Super Genius

There are lots of farmers in the area. Why not just buy local? It's much cheaper too.

OldHillcrestGuy

Hopefully when Charlotte Hall Station comes out of the ground we will have a few more places you will enjoy. I need more restaurant franchisors.

Whats with this place, looks like they have shutdown construction. Nothing has happened in a couple of months now. Last thing I saw going on, they were blowing seed down over the entire place.

How about you bring a nice sitdown restaurant on the piece of land next to the Cedar Point Credit Union, didnt your sign popup recently, my choice would be Ruby Tuesday's, love their salad bars.