New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Was it a Lowe's or Super Walmart they were proposing at the old Calvert High area that got voted down by small town calvert groups, and also one of the Commissioner's has a family run small hardware business, which they did not want to approve the outdoor section relating to garden/nursery stuff? Just going off memory. Isn't it weird all anyone wanted to do was build retail centers, and now they sit empty as places like Sears, Gander Mountain, HH Gregg, can't keep up with the boom of Amazon and Walmart.

It was the promise of a Lowe's or Home Depot. There was never a real proposal just a wink and a nudge. When an agreement was reached the developers, BARGO, brought in the Peterson Cos. When asked by a now former Commissioner when the Home Depot would be open the Peterson rep replied that they didn't build those types of developments any longer since there was no money in them.

The individual you mentioned owns a hardware store and was Chair of Planning and Zoning. He was chairing a hearing on the property when one member of the audience testified that there was nowhere in Calvert County a person could buy a hammer and nails. That audience member was sitting beside the owner of another County hardware when he made the statement.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Hopefully my replies / responses make sense and you can figure out what they are directed to.

I noticed a number of the stores mentioned in the story were owned by the same group, in some cases mismanagement was a cause of their misfortune. I htink one such store cited was Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Malls aren't dying just because of demographics, they are losing their anchor stores, those stores which brought in customers.
To survive, they are going to have to reinvent themselves, spend money to modernize and attract people to come in.
I got to visit Mall of America and it seemed to be doing a pretty good business. But they had restuarants inside that were more upsclale than your typical food court. Nothing fancy, but sit down with some unique alternatives to the chains.
Always liked going to the mall because it was a sone stop shopping for odds and ends, books, cards, clothing, etc. Plus it was a good place to walk in foul weather. Sometimes it was just that, go for a walk and maybe a cup of coffee. Some malls actually encouraged this by opening early for walkers - before the stores were really open. Then some of the stores got the idea they could cater to those walkers by opening early.

as for the local hardware store saga - some of that could be ignorance and some could be poor advertising and hours.
To often local stores don't open early or stay open much past 5. Bankers hourse we use to call it. I understand that they want to go home, eat dinner and they don't have the staff. But that's why people are looking to the big box chain, it's not just price, it's the convience.
You are not just selling a hammer, you are also selling customer service. If that service portion is missing you can be the only store in 50 miles selling a hammer and people will drive the 50 miles.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Hopefully my replies / responses make sense and you can figure out what they are directed to.

I noticed a number of the stores mentioned in the story were owned by the same group, in some cases mismanagement was a cause of their misfortune. I htink one such store cited was Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Malls aren't dying just because of demographics, they are losing their anchor stores, those stores which brought in customers.
To survive, they are going to have to reinvent themselves, spend money to modernize and attract people to come in.
I got to visit Mall of America and it seemed to be doing a pretty good business. But they had restuarants inside that were more upsclale than your typical food court. Nothing fancy, but sit down with some unique alternatives to the chains.
Always liked going to the mall because it was a sone stop shopping for odds and ends, books, cards, clothing, etc. Plus it was a good place to walk in foul weather. Sometimes it was just that, go for a walk and maybe a cup of coffee. Some malls actually encouraged this by opening early for walkers - before the stores were really open. Then some of the stores got the idea they could cater to those walkers by opening early.

as for the local hardware store saga - some of that could be ignorance and some could be poor advertising and hours.
To often local stores don't open early or stay open much past 5. Bankers hourse we use to call it. I understand that they want to go home, eat dinner and they don't have the staff. But that's why people are looking to the big box chain, it's not just price, it's the convience.
You are not just selling a hammer, you are also selling customer service. If that service portion is missing you can be the only store in 50 miles selling a hammer and people will drive the 50 miles.

That may be some of it but honest to Christ a big portion of it is just plain ****ing stupidity.

Had a new resident (new meaning having lived in town a couple years) stop me to demand the Town get a hardware store because he was tired of driving to Annapolis for stuff.

I asked him how he came home after work. Well, he drove down 260 and turned left onto Paris Oaks then right on 5th. I asked if he'd never noticed Sneade's Hardware right there where he turned onto Paris Oaks. It has a real big sign plus several smaller ones. He thought it was a restaurant. Drove by it for years.

There's a lot of dumbass that has moved to all of Southern Maryland, not just Calvert.

I have always said that when all the people moved from Prince George's to here the average IQ of both places dropped.

SamSpade

By depending on some OTHER attraction other than anchor department stores which are no longer drawing people in.
People generally don't go to Sears or JC Penney any more. And I have seen so many department stores in my lifetime
close their doors for good. Woodward and Lothrop, Hecht's, Montgomery Ward - and that's just ONE MALL.

I like malls. I still like them, especially really nice ones around Christmas time. I just lament the experience is just
one that doesn't sell, or make enough of a profit anymore. I mean, when I went to one, you could go to places like
Spencer's and see all the weird stuff - or the Nature Company - or Brookstone - and check out the gadgets.
There'd be little stores specializing in stuff you're not going to visit on the road - like a tobacconist, or a bazaar
with exotic stuff - or a scuba shop. Maybe a magazine stand. Or an actual candy store. Would you really make a drive
to specifically go to Orange Julius, or Cinnabon or Au Bon Pain? But you would, in a mall.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Now it's the Microsoft and Apple stores that draw crowds.
Just an observation, but even when there are a number of empty store fronts, the pop up / cart vendors seem to be all over the place selling all sorts of useless items. Ok, maybe ueeless is to strong, but things you can do without.

I can't get into ordering clothing, including shoes, online. I like to feel the item, to see how well it's made and to try it on.
I don't feel like wasting days wrapping it up and waiting for either a refund or replacement when I an item doesn't fit.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
St. Mary's Marketplace Signs Two New Tenants

(April 04, 2019) Baltimore-based developer Klein Enterprises announced today that Mezeh Mediterranean Grill and Righttime Medical Care, a 24-hour urgent care center, have signed leases at St. Mary's Marketplace in California, Md. The shopping center is home to Harris Teeter, Bay Country Liquors, Café Rio, Great Clips, Mod Pizza, Nail Trix, Batteries Plus Bulbs, Tropical Smoothie Café, Cold Stone Creamery, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa and the newly opened Starbucks Coffee.

Mezeh Mediterranean Grill is a fast-casual restaurant serving bold Mediterranean-inspired dishes made from scratch daily, and Righttime Medical Care is an urgent care services provider with locations across Maryland serving patients of all ages, 365 days a year.

"Klein Enterprises is excited to welcome these two new tenants to St. Mary's Marketplace. We will be announcing two more national brands in the next few weeks, which will bring us close to 100% leased," said Patricia Palumbo, director of leasing and marketing for Klein Enterprises. "We are committed to bringing high-quality and diverse businesses to the center. Both Mezeh and Righttime have a reputable presence in Maryland and are known for supporting the local communities that they serve."

Mezeh and Righttime will operate 2,973 and 2,649 square feet of retail space, respectively, at the 106,000-square foot shopping center. Mezeh will open later this summer and Righttime is expected to open in May.

The property has 536 parking spaces and is located within close proximity to the growing residential neighborhoods of Wildewood, Lexington Park and Solomons Island, and eight miles from the Naval Air Station Patuxent River, home to the National Air Warfare Center, Aircraft Division.

BernieP

Resident PIA
St. Mary's Marketplace Signs Two New Tenants

(April 04, 2019)
Mezeh and Righttime will operate 2,973 and 2,649 square feet of retail space, respectively, at the 106,000-square foot shopping center. Mezeh will open later this summer and Righttime is expected to open in May.

Remind me which center this is, Harris Teeter one? Have they build anything where Aldis is other than the theater?

punjabigyrl

Is there really a demand for medical clinics/urgent care since telemedicine, teleoptometry(a doctor from another office will see you), telepharmacy ( this is online already) is the new way to get seen. Some states are already testing it. I just downloaded an app called Doctor on Demand (blue in color; DR with a + sign). My friend uses it and loves it. You sign in, put in your information, your insurance information then waits, doctor/PA calls in, discusses your issues, calls in meds, if you need to go in the ER they will tell you. and submit to your insurance. Imagine sitting at work and be seen.

I've used a teladoc recently and it was great, but I already knew the specifics and what I needed. But that service can't always replace an in person visit. Symptoms can be the same for a number of conditions. And a person's vitals are not something that can be checked via a phone or computer conversation.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
The opening of Mezeh Mediterranean Grill was changed to later in summer 2019.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've used a teladoc recently and it was great, but I already knew the specifics and what I needed. But that service can't always replace an in person visit. Symptoms can be the same for a number of conditions. And a person's vitals are not something that can be checked via a phone or computer conversation.

But they are. Wife has a cuff, and the fingertip blood O2/heartrate sensor, and recently added a bluetooth Kardia ECG device. Total price for all three under $200 dollars. There's your vitals right there. You are right that it doesn't always replace an office visit, but it certainly has a place. Especially when you live in a place where the doctors you want to see are not available.

mitzi

The Slice House is open. This is on their FB page.

THE SLICE HOUSE IN LEONARDTOWN IS NOW OPEN: Come check out the NEW Restaurant The Slice House in Leonardtown located at 41565 Park Ave, Leonardtown.

Their Hours are:
Mon-Thur 11AM-8PM
Fri-Sat 11AM-11PM
Sun-CLOSED

They are Working on a Late Night Bar Business.

exiled

Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory? Well, with two locally owned chocolate shops in town (Black Point at Blue Wind, and Heritage in Leonardtown), we will easily see if SOMD wants to support local businesses, or mass production. Hard to believe such a huge, national chain thinks there is enough demand here for chocolate to open a store, when two already exist in such a small area.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory? Well, with two locally owned chocolate shops in town (Black Point at Blue Wind, and Heritage in Leonardtown), we will easily see if SOMD wants to support local businesses, or mass production. Hard to believe such a huge, national chain thinks there is enough demand here for chocolate to open a store, when two already exist in such a small area.

The company has probably noticed that the residents, especially the ones who have come down here from the I95 corridor to enlighten us, would rather patronize any chain operation than a good locally owned one.