Noah's Ark

Gwydion

There was a really cool shwo on discovery to dispute the claims and coutnerclaims of Noah and the flood.

The boat's size can't even be valid. Back then, the weight of JUST the wood was too great. It turned out to be about the size of an aircraft carrier...made out of WOOD.

The other thing was the amount of rain possible. it is impossible for the amoutn of water in our atmosphere/ground/everywhere to cover teh entire earth.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Nucklesack said:
Here comes some more of those Bible Inconsitencies again :

The way it is typically explained is Noah brough in 2 of every species. but if you read a little further down in Genesis 7:x you find thats not true:

Was it 2 of every animal or Seven?

wait theres more :whistle: How long did the Flood last? 40 days right?

Once again theres a different remark a little farther into Genesis 7:x

Which 40 Days or 150 Days?

Let alone the animals, why is there no mention about the hundreds of thousands of species of plants? After all, after the 40/150 day (take your pick) Flood, he would still have to feed the 2 Pairs/7 Pairs (take your pick) of animals correct?
First of all if you are trying to make sense of it all then you will only leave frustrated. It's funny you never questioned the fact that Noah was 600 years old. :confused:

Anyway, there were two apparent events that occurred, fountains (or springs) burst open and it rained. The 40 days refers to the amount of time the waters rose due to the fountains and rains. The 150 days refers to how long the water remained once it met its crest then subsided.

The extra amount of clean animals was needed for sacrifice and food. They did have to eat and continue their religious practices.

As for the plant life… plant life doesn't need male and female to reproduce. But I'm quite sure they brought plenty of plant life on board for food for both animals and themselves.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Nucklesack said:

Agree with some of your points - but this one. It claims that it rained for forty days and nights - but the flood lasted longer than that - and this is the way it happens in real life - the flood waters remain long after the rain ceases. Been through a couple major floods myself. That's normal.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
wxtornado said:
Indeed, the flood event is one of the most damning things to the validity of the bible as a historical record.

I suspect the Qu'ran or other holy books wouldn't stand up to that kind of scientific scruitiny when read literally, either.

To quote Sam Harris, "whatever is good in scripture — like the golden rule — can be valued for its ethical wisdom without our believing that it was handed down to us by the creator of the universe."

Gwydion

Tonio said:
I suspect the Qu'ran or other holy books wouldn't stand up to that kind of scientific scruitiny when read literally, either.
2ndAmendment said:
If any part of the Bible is wrong, then the whole Bible is wrong. So there is the dilemma. If you don't believe in creation, then there is no Savior. I can't go that route. God is real. The Bible is the word of God. Creation is true. Jesus is my Savior.

I would love to hear 2A's reply to what you just said.

SamSpade

Nucklesack said:
Because i was pointing out the discrepencies that were directly contradicted within the same passages of Genesis. In the Quran its stated that Moses was 950 years old :lmao:

It also claims that Moses and Noah were contemporaries. And that Moses' sister was Mary, the mother of Jesus.

Roughidle

Ancient wismen would often tell great tales to help illustrate points on how people should live and conduct themselves with one another. Elaborate stories often helped to instill proper values, idealology and understanding of right and wrong and the consequences of doing both. These stories were not intended to be taken as historical fact but as wisdoms to be emulated into one's life practices.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Nucklesack said:
Here comes some more of those Bible Inconsitencies again :

The way it is typically explained is Noah brough in 2 of every species. but if you read a little further down in Genesis 7:x you find thats not true:

Was it 2 of every animal or Seven?

wait theres more :whistle: How long did the Flood last? 40 days right?

Once again theres a different remark a little farther into Genesis 7:x

Let alone the animals, why is there no mention about the hundreds of thousands of species of plants? After all, after the 40/150 day (take your pick) Flood, he would still have to feed the 2 Pairs/7 Pairs (take your pick) of animals correct?
Only inconsistent when you don't bother to read in context. Two of every animal and seven of clean animals. It was not 2 pairs or 7 pairs. And again you are placing human limits on a miracle of God. No, the flood did not last 40 days. The it rained for 40 days.
Genesis 7:24The water prevailed upon the earth one hundred and fifty days.
The the water receded for another 150 days.
Genesis 7:3and the water receded steadily from the earth, and at the end of one hundred and fifty days the water decreased.
That is when the ark came to rest on Mt. Ararat. So now we are at 340 days from the day the rain started. It was another 47 days after that before Noah sent out a dove that came back with an olive leaf. Yeah, I know. Where did the olive tree come from if everything was under water. God. Remember God, the Creator; able to speak the universe into existence? Creating olive trees and other vegetation are no big deal to God. It was then that Noah and his family left the ark. You really need to read better.

As for wx's statement. The flood is one of the best evidences. Ever been in a cave in West Virginia? I have and have seen sea shells. The Mississippi River basin is a gigantic flood plain. Where did the Great Salt Lake come from? I'm sure you will have some human concocted explanation, but I'll believe the Bible.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Gwydion said:
I would love to hear 2A's reply to what you just said.
We've been down that road. No need to rehash it. Tonio, as we all, will know the Truth the moment of death.

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
2ndAmendment said:
As for wx's statement. The flood is one of the best evidences. Ever been in a cave in West Virginia? I have and have seen sea shells. The Mississippi River basin is a gigantic flood plain. Where did the Great Salt Lake come from? I'm sure you will have some human concocted explanation, but I'll believe the Bible.

Not just a human concocted explanation, but one based on demonstrable proof and knowledge, using methods that are the only way to assure we can hope to find the truth.

Our evidence is certainly not based on stories that are undemonstrated and rife with internal conflict, from a broken old book that was cobbled together by a group of power grabbers about 1700 years ago. Human progress depends on these old beliefs dying - and dying they are, to our greater fortune.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
wxtornado said:
Not just a human concocted explanation, but one based on demonstrable proof and knowledge, using methods that are the only way to assure we can hope to find the truth.

Our evidence is certainly not based on stories that are undemonstrated and rife with internal conflict, from a broken old book that was cobbled together by a group of power grabbers about 1700 years ago. Human progress depends on these old beliefs dying - and dying they are, to our greater fortune.
Good luck. Just said a prayer for you.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
2ndAmendment said:
We've been down that road. No need to rehash it. Tonio, as we all, will know the Truth the moment of death.

Whatever happens to me after I die is no one else's business.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Nucklesack said:
Because i was pointing out the discrepencies that were directly contradicted within the same passages of Genesis. In the Quran its stated that Moses was 950 years old :lmao:
Are we talking about the Bible or the Quran? Your original quotes come out of the bible. I'm quite sure I can pull out something from the Hindu religion that says something completely different about the flood event.

Genesis doesnt mentions Plant life, either being loaded into the Ark nor surviving the Flood (though it does talk about the land of Giants that survived). It does say "every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground". All the passages pertaining to Noah and the Flood deal with Beasts, Fowl and those that "Creepeth the Earth". but somehow Plants are inferred?
The bible also doesn't say anything about where they would go to the rest room either or get a drink of water. The bible doesn't mention a lot of things I'm sure. God gave us brains to come to some of our own conclusions. It's my assumption plant life was needed to feed the animals as well as themselves.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Nucklesack said:
Your right, I didnt read the difference between the "Flood" (the act itself of the water rising) and the waters remaining (the actual length the water stayed).
Weeeellllllll.... isn't enlightenment a wonderful thing. :smack:

PsyOps

Pixelated
wxtornado said:

Isn't yours also a human concocted explanation?

Not dying within me (and billions of others through the millenia). Nice try.

PsyOps

Pixelated
wxtornado said:
And more. Re-read my post.
If yours is a human “concocted” explanation how can it be based on “demonstrable truth”? Something that is concocted is made up; fictitious.

Those that cling to the belief there is no creator but rather rely on THEORIES like the big bang to prove our existence only find themselves left with questions that Christians don’t have to ask: How did it all get there if it wasn’t created? First of all there is no evidence of a big bang except through math. No one was there when the big bang happened. There is dispute in the scientific community about the big bang, whether it happened, how it happened, etc… Yet, many put their faith in the theory as fact. Regardless of what you think about the big bang, it still begs the question: How did the original matter get there. How does stuff just materialize out of nowhere? We Christians have an answer. The scientific community doesn’t.