Noah's Ark

Roughidle

wxtornado said:
do0D, did you just ask me to define life? I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. :howdy:
Ofcourse you did. It's an atheist's most unanswserable question I would imagine. :barf: Heheheh...
I ask only because you seem to take a very scientific approach to creation versus a religious or spiritual one(hence an atheist). As I understand it science has been unable to explain what life is. They can explain egg fertilization and cell growth but are unable to scientificaly explain or show what the spark of life actually is and cannot re-create it. I ask as I don't fully understand the atheist's view. I can google it yes but would rather have it explained from an actual atheist.

Last edited:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Roughidle said:
As I understand it science has been unable to explain what life is. They can explain egg fertilization and cell growth but are unable to scientificaly explain or show what the spark of life actually is and cannot re-create it.

What do you think if Stephen Jay Gould's concept of non-overlapping magisteria? Below is his original article about the concept:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2843/is_4_23/ai_55208055

The lack of conflict between science and religion arises from a lack of overlap between their respective domains of professional expertise - science in the empirical constitution of the universe, and religion in the search for proper ethical values and the spiritual meaning of our lives. The attainment of wisdom in a full life requires extensive attention to both domains...

Roughidle, what if the world's religions focused solely ethical values and spiritual meaning? What if religious doctrines did not deal with the supernatural at all, making no claims as the existence of deities or afterlives? What if the religions left the mechanics of the natural world to science? In my view, if science cannot explain what the spark of life actually is, than neither can religion.

Roughidle

Tonio said:
In my view, if science cannot explain what the spark of life actually is, than neither can religion.
I'll have to read the article. As for religion explaining life, their explanation is simple if unprovable. God created it.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
wxtornado said:
Free will in the theist's worldview is nothing more than an illusion, unless you are intellectually dishonest with yourself and ignore the obvious logical fallacies in what you are asserting.

Given the Christian paradigm, all existence is simply a play. The ending is known. What every character is going to do, is known. It has always been known. Infinitely in time. There is no escaping this issue that comes as a CONSEQUENCE of an all-knowing, all-powerful "Author of the Universe" -- it comes inherently with the idea of a omipotent being -- like a triangle comes inherently with 3 angles. Not four, not none-- but three. You cannot escape it. It IS what MUST BE from an all knowing, all seeing God.

There can be no free will with the God of the Bible. Just like Judas HAD to betray Jesus, you have already been foreseen to get that cup of coffee (or tea, or soda, or water, or whatever).

Now if you want free will - real free will - become an atheist. Obviously, all choices an atheist makes are done so free and clear of any divine spirit foreseeng anything. Since obviously there are no "gods", free will comes inherently in the materialist wiorldview, as assuredly as it is lacking in the theists worldview.
We've been down this road before with you spewing the same stuff. I think you are full of it. You think I am full of it. So be it.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
wxtornado said:
If God authored all things, he certainly authored evil.
But then I believe you're a demon, at best, and therefore a liar, so why would I believe anything you post? I wouldn't. :razz:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Roughidle said:
But by Christian definition, we are born sinners and there for I have no choice but to be a sinner for my entire life. Even if I sin no more and ask for forgiveness I must still die a sinner.
No. Your belief is counted as righteousness even though all are sinners. That has been going on since Abram.
Genesis 15:6Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.
Romans 3:21-23

21But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,

22even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction;

23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

PsyOps

Pixelated
Roughidle said:
But by Christian definition, we are born sinners and there for I have no choice but to be a sinner for my entire life. Even if I sin no more and ask for forgiveness I must still die a sinner.
There is a difference between being a sinner by birth and committing sin. One you are born into it and can be forgiven through Jesus. The other is a conscience act we all commit in our day-to-day lives, which can still be forgiven. So even if you die a sinner, the choice remains, will you die forgiven or unforgiven?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Roughidle said:
As for religion explaining life, their explanation is simple if unprovable. God created it.

To me, it seems wrong to use a Deux Ex Machina explanation for any natural event. For one thing, it violates Gould's non-overlapping magisteria principle, because it amounts to a religious doctrine making a claim about the natural world. For another, it avoids confronting the idea that some events may have no explanation at all, natural or supernatural. The Deux Ex Machina explanation reminds me of conspiracy theories, where devotees resolve inconsistencies in events by imagining sinister cabals in control of everything. (Hillary deserved every mocking laugh she received for her infamous VRWC comment.) If there is such a thing as the divine, it's possible that the divine does not interact with the natural world at all.

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
Roughidle said:
Ofcourse you did. It's an atheist's most unanswserable question I would imagine. :barf: Heheheh...
I ask only because you seem to take a very scientific approach to creation versus a religious or spiritual one(hence an atheist). As I understand it science has been unable to explain what life is. They can explain egg fertilization and cell growth but are unable to scientificaly explain or show what the spark of life actually is and cannot re-create it. I ask as I don't fully understand the atheist's view. I can google it yes but would rather have it explained from an actual atheist.

I'm sorry, I still don't know what you're asking. If you're asking about abiogenesis, then I simply don't know. I don't know what you mean by the "spark of life."

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
2ndAmendment said:
But then I believe you're a demon, at best, and therefore a liar, so why would I believe anything you post? I wouldn't. :razz:

Translation: I like to preach, not discuss.

Yes 2A, we know.