Oh great...thanks post office

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Hey, bann, I'm right there with you. I hate to take a package to be mailed.

When I started it was a great job. Everyone worked hard, and in the small offices really got to know their customers. I attended weddings and funerals, celebrated graduations and births. When cards started showing up for a customer, you knew that their parent who had been sick for a long time had died. And even tho it didn't have a full address, you got that card to who it belonged to.

Once they started mandating that we return letters and packages without correct addresses, I knew the PO was done. If I knew where it went, I made sure it got there. I never wanted to take a day off, because whoever they sent in to cover for me would return all that stuff.

The higher ups don't want you getting to know people anymore. If you're talking with them that much, you're not working enough, and you certainly are overstaffed. They don't get/care that mail is very important to people, and if as an employee you KNOW the people, you're going to CARE about them getting their mail, sending and receiving.

And don't get me started on new employees. We're all at the mercy of people hired off the street, as opposed to when I was hired and had to get a high grade on a 4 hr test.

There is a lot of truth in Amazon and all other on line shopping having a hugh impact on time/service. But there is a solution - hire some people who will care.

My best advice is go to a smaller office. They usually have the time to still get to know you, and treat you as a person, not a transaction.
I agree with all you that said! The USPS customer service overall stinks. Also, I do go to a smaller post office locally, when I have to, and things are much better over there. :yay:

mitzi

Lucky you. My USPS horror stories continue unabated. Packages get "stuck" in various centers around the country and just sit there for days and even weeks..all the while the tracking system projected delivery date remains unchanged and recedes rapidly in the rear view mirror..

I was shocked today. An order of mine shipped from CA on the 5th. I've been tracking. Yesterday, tracking showed there was a "delay". My first thought was "here we go again". Surprise, surprise, it received it today.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Those scanners are so cumbersome. And we don't scan one at a time, and you can't set the "event" ahead of time. Scan, scan, scan, 30, 200, 700 packages, hit the button....OOPS, should have been arrived, hit delayed instead. No option to go back. Don't get reprimanded for that, but if you go back and rescan and hit arrived, NOW you're up a creek. (Been there, done that.)

And whoever is in charge won't listen to employees who say "Hey dummy, let me hit the arrived button FIRST, then scan the packages.".

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
And a day like today really gets my dander up.

Package I've been waiting for, today says "Out For Delivery". So I've got to go down to the mail box, sometime, and hope that

1 The mailbox was not left open and the package is soaked or

2 Some snowplow hasn't knocked my box down and the package is completely ruined.

Leave that damned mail at the PO, where it's nice and safe and warm and dry. Don't make my mail carrier go out there and risk all those other idiots on the road, not to mention snowplows, so I can get a True Value flyer (sorry TPD).

Sure, they can come in and sort the mail, and if there's something I HAVE to have, I can take my happy*ss up there and get it. But I personally don't get anything in the mail I can't live without for a day or 2.

Rant over.

(But it sure feels good to get it out now that I'm RETIRED!)

1stGenSMIB

We got a Christmas card yesterday that was postmarked Dec 14. We've been getting one or two per week trickling in this way..most postmarked in Dec. When we lived in California, MD, I will give a shout out to our mail carriers from back then...if there was any package, they'd get out of their truck and put mail + package on the front porch.

jrt_ms1995

Today the item I ordered Dec. 11, which was shipped Dec. 13 and last tracked Jan. 4 in its 2nd visit to a D.C. distribution center, and for which I received a refund a few weeks ago, appeared in my mailbox.

mitzi

OOPS, should have been arrived, hit delayed instead. No option to go back. Don't get reprimanded for that, but if you go back and rescan and hit arrived, NOW you're up a creek. (Been there, done that.)

So there's hope I may get my package that I've been b*tching about since the first week of December 😂. Years ago, before we could track I did have packages that showed up 4 to 5 months after they were shipped.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Thanks to the postal service, it just cost me $33 to put a stop payment on a check. In December, I used bill pay for my business to pay the final months rent as per my lease. January's check was supposed to be received in Baltimore on Dec 22. The check was just cashed on 2/13. In the meantime, I had issued another check and the landlord said it goes from their po box directly to the bank for deposit so no one can pull it (which I think sounds like a load of crap but whatever...). Basically, if they receive the check, it gets cashed. That particular check was supposed to get there on 2/8.
It's bad enough I had to pay for a full months rent ($6314) that I was not even in the store but now I have to pay $33 to cancel the second check. Oh, and I do have a small security deposit refund coming but it has been held up because they did not receive my rent!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I have a package that left Indiana, went to Montana, then Idaho, then to Kentucky and Virginia on its way here.

DaSDGuy

Just had another Christmas card returned as undeliverable. This makes 5 so far, all postmarked 12/21/2020. Sent from LP to Breton Bay. Our friends have lived at that address for over 12 years. Now, according to the Post Office, that address and our friends do not exist.

frequentflier

happy to be living
With my recent craft hobby, I have been ordering a lot of vintage jewelry on ebay. I am quite impressed with how quickly everything has arrived. The seller's send tracking info and every box /envelope has arrived when it was supposed to.
Thinking I should find some wood to knock on :lmao:

Grumpy

The last 3 things I have gotten off Amazon and a car site all said delivery in 10-14 days via USPS, got all 3 deliveries within 5 days. Chewy orders always get here in 2-3 days. Got an Emissions notice on one of my cars 7 days after the due date, Emissions folks didn't care, still charged me the late fee, complained to MVA, they didn't care either.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I hope the part for my riding lawn mower gets here soon, it's starting to look like a jungle out there!
In the meantime, I tell myself all of these little blooming weeds are good for the bees.

Last edited:

NextJen

Raisin cane
Emissions folks didn't care
I was late getting a car in for emissions by about a month. Went to the place in PFred fully expecting to pay a late fee and the guy doing the test said no, they were waived due to COVID.
I've come to learn that sometimes it's whoever you get waiting on you on any given day and what kind of mood they are in. I had a fiasco with DMV trying to get a title to a vehicle in my name after my fiancé passed and went rounds with DMV at a couple locations. I went to Loveville one day with paperwork in hand and happened to get two clerks who were willing to listen, review my paperwork, then make it happen. Makes you wonder how come the other DMV locations couldn't do that?

Grumpy

I was late getting a car in for emissions by about a month. Went to the place in PFred fully expecting to pay a late fee and the guy doing the test said no, they were waived due to COVID.
I've come to learn that sometimes it's whoever you get waiting on you on any given day and what kind of mood they are in. I had a fiasco with DMV trying to get a title to a vehicle in my name after my fiancé passed and went rounds with DMV at a couple locations. I went to Loveville one day with paperwork in hand and happened to get two clerks who were willing to listen, review my paperwork, then make it happen. Makes you wonder how come the other DMV locations couldn't do that?
PF is where they charged me the late fee. As for MVA, when I was going to my office before Covid, I would use the Loveville MVA, much better than other MVAs I've gone to.