Oive in Big Trouble?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:lol:

You ever been to an NHL game? Just curious. The advent of large TVs and HD have made viewing hockey on TV better but you have no real idea of the speed and split-second manuerving of these guys...and their size.

I think Ovie plays balls out. It troubles me sometimes because I think his career will be short. I can't say that all of his hits have been clean but I don't think he's a dirty player. That said...hockey does have an element of "dirty" play about it anyway, chippy shots and hits you never see..there's a lot of poking, etc. that goes on and the players know how to hide it.

Tons of them in the Langway era at Cap Centre. Rod rode people into the boards, just took 'em out but, he went with them. Ovie launched that guy.

Peter Forsberg

What is your opinion?

I'm being objective. I don't want Ovie to away with anything. I don't want to root for a team that supports dirty play.
I think Ovie needs to be more in control sometimes. All I can say is that hurt my shoulder watching that. It will be intresting to see what the NHL says.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I think Ovie needs to be more in control sometimes.

I agree. It would be easy to say that he is a large, stupid guy that plays hockey but he has to realize his size and speed/reaction time and adjust accordingly. I don't think he plays with malice like some of the guys do.

Peter Forsberg

I agree. It would be easy to say that he is a large, stupid guy that plays hockey but he has to realize his size and speed/reaction time and adjust accordingly. I don't think he plays with malice like some of the guys do.
He doesn't need to do things like this he is already a great player but plays like this tarnish his image.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Burnside's take...

Another day, another challenge for the NHL's head disciplinarian Colin Campbell.

Fresh from his perplexing decision not to suspend Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke for the forward's potentially season-ending hit on Boston's Marc Savard, Campbell will now have to deal with another controversial hit by Washington captain -- and superstar -- Alex Ovechkin.

Here's a suggestion (and we know how much Campbell enjoys suggestions from the peanut gallery): Do nothing, again.

Only this time, Campbell will completely get it right if he simply lets Sunday's call stand -- Ovechkin was ejected in the first period of a key game against Chicago after pushing Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell into the boards behind the Chicago net.

Initially, it appeared as though Campbell was merely stunned (Brian, not Colin). Then, he didn't return the game. Finally, late Sunday, the news came that the NHL's third highest-paid defenseman could be lost for the season with a broken clavicle and broken ribs. While difficult for the Blackhawks, who are considered a top candidate to win their first Stanley Cup since 1961, Campbell's injury does not change our view about how the league should view the incident.

Ovechkin was tossed for the third time this season, assessed a five-minute major for boarding and a 10-minute misconduct and game misconduct. We understand the call -- we could have lived with a five-minute major (there is no double-minor for boarding, as we suggested earlier) -- but as for requiring further action, we don't think so.

There was much discussion earlier this season on Nov. 30, when Ovechkin caught Carolina's Tim Gleason with a knee-on-knee hit a week after being ejected for ramming Buffalo's Patrick Kaleta. A day later, Ovechkin was handed a two-game suspension by Campbell.

There will no doubt be calls for Ovechkin to be made an example of following Sunday's hit on Brian Campbell. You know ... "He's a repeat offender" and "Make an example of him" ... that kind of stuff. The kind of stuff that should have factored into Colin Campbell's ruling on Cooke.

We often criticize the NHL's curious method of dispensing supplementary discipline because it is so, well, curious and disjointed and often downright laughable. That flawed process was once again thrown into the spotlight last week with the contentious Cooke hit and NHL general managers' subsequent move to introduce a new rule to protect players from blindside hits to the head.

The Ovechkin hit, though, has nothing to do with any of that. Did he deserve a penalty? Sure. But was it reckless? No. Was it predatory or intended to injure? No.

And so, this Ovechkin incident should pass -- unlike the Cooke hit, which went unpunished -- because it is the right thing to do.

Alex Ovechkin should not be suspended for latest hit - ESPN

Baz

This. ------------------>
Clean play, then?

No. It was boarding.

Rule 42 - Boarding

42.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player (or goalkeeper) applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player being knocked into the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

Ovechkin's earned his reputation as a dirty player. His superstar status has helped gloss this over, but it's becoming impossible to overlook.

If an opposing player sent Ovechkin into the boards that way, you'd see a mob of Caps fans marching to the NHL offices with pitchforks in hand demanding a suspension.

Baz

2 games.

Alex Ovechkin was suspended for two games without pay by the National Hockey League on Monday for his hit on Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell early in Sunday's game in Chicago that reportedly has ended Campbell's regular season.

NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell ruled that it was a "reckless" hit by Ovechkin, who received a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct on the play that occurred 12:16 into the first period.

Caps' Ovechkin banned two games for Campbell hit - NHL.com - News

He got off easy, but better than nothing.

Baz

If Campbell doesn't get hurt there's no suspension.

By the same token, if Ovechkin doesn't launch Campbell into the boards, there's no broken bones, and Campbell suits up for the next game.

But I agree. No injury = no suspension.

BuddyLee

Football addict
By the same token, if Ovechkin doesn't launch Campbell into the boards, there's no broken bones, and Campbell suits up for the next game.

But I agree. No injury = no suspension.
Looks like dumb luck for Campbell. He doesn't get a free pass, especially when he's passing the puck.

He also didn't "launch" him. He pushed his shoulder.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I agree with you buddy but Ovie's track record is catching up to him. I don't think he is a dirty player he just needs to control himself sometimes.
I agree with that. I think he gets caught up in the action and tries to do too much. He's been accustomed to having a not-so-good team in his first few years. Now that he has a team around him who can pick up the slack he should center his focus a bit more.