Oive in Big Trouble?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
ObGraves: No, Captain Oveur. I do not like movies about Gladiators.

I've played Ice Hockey before. I took a couple of hard shots, so it's not me being a total sideline prick.

Besides, I was only ####in' with you. Don't take it personally.

It's not personal, it's a forum and I don't know you in real life. It is impossible, contrary to many on here, for it to be personal. :lol:

If you played then you know there is a point of vulnerability going into the boards; either you are under control and can take the blow, no big deal, or, you are falling/out of control and you are at the mercy of your fellow competitor.

Ovie's body language after the play told me he knew it was borderline and he instantly felt bad the guy wasn't getting up. Dale Hunter would have raised hell that it was a dive.

That's why I conceded to Catt; it was not a dirty play. It was everyone playing hard and Ovie plays just a bit harder. I'm just saying they gotta draw the line somewhere and 8 stepped over it, if just a bit. If they let it go, the rest of the night, the game turns into a 'get Ovechkin' fest.

And THAT irritates my vageen. :buddies:

Toxick

Splat
Dale Hunter would have raised hell that it was a dive.

Hunter wasn't that bad. You make it sound like he's the dirtiest player the game ever had. He was definitely a hard-hitter, and he had his share of cheapshots. I always attributed that to the fact that he was a little guy and had to hit harder just to keep up. Plus, it was a different game back then. There wasn't any big stigma for clobbering people who needed clobbering.

Funny thing, Hunter wasn't even the Big Goon on the team. A guy named Alan May was. I remember people would demand their money back if Alan May didn't get into a fight in a game.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Hunter wasn't that bad. You make it sound like he's the dirtiest player the game ever had. He was definitely a hard-hitter, and he had his share of cheapshots. I always attributed that to the fact that he was a little guy and had to hit harder just to keep up. Plus, it was a different game back then. There wasn't any big stigma for clobbering people who needed clobbering.

Funny thing, Hunter wasn't even the Big Goon on the team. A guy named Alan May was. I remember people would demand their money back if Alan May didn't get into a fight in a game.

Fine. Dale was 'chippy'. :lol:

And I do agree he did what he had to in order to have a job in the league. That said, a young Dale Hunter doesn't make too many rosters these days.

Toxick

Splat
Fine. Dale was 'chippy'. :lol:

And I do agree he did what he had to in order to have a job in the league. That said, a young Dale Hunter doesn't make too many rosters these days.

Yeah - it was definitely a different era.

:sigh:

It wasn't uncommon for referees to stop gameplay so they could scrape a patch of frozen blood off the ice before resuming.

Good times... good times.

Re: Dale Hunter. I think he developed a bad-guy reputation due to that Turgeon incident. That, I'll admit, was one of the cheapest shots I've ever seen. At the time, I lol'd, because Turgeon just scored against my team, and knocked us out of the playoffs - but in retrospect, it was not funny, it was not cool and Hunter deserved what he got for that... a 20 game suspension.

Last edited:

Black-Francis

Dale Hunter made me cringe as a Caps fan. Rod Langway made me cheer. Dale would do what Ovie did on that play, do things to guys that would get people hurt. Rod took guys into the boards, rubbed them out.

I LOVE the way Ovechkin plays the vast majority of the time, all in, balls out. He is no Dale Thug Hunter. However, in my view, the game does not benefit from the out of control, defenseless nudge/push/slam into the boards. Campbell is gone for what, 10 games, had he done that to Ovie.

I am willing to accept Catts judgement that this was not boarding. However, I accept it in a disagreeing fashion without being disagreeable.

:lol:

Yeah, that hit Hunter laid on Turgeon after he scored in the Playoffs is what I call dirty and a cheap shot.....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Re: Dale Hunter. I think he developed a bad-guy reputation due to that Turgeon incident. That, I'll admit, was one of the cheapest shots I've ever seen. At the time, I lol'd, because Turgeon just scored against my team, and knocked us out of the playoffs - but in retrospect, it was not funny, it was not cool and Hunter deserved what he got for that... a 20 game suspension.

Oh, come on! Hunter was one of the 'chippy' guys from his days with the Nordiques! That's why we got him!

1,000 point player, most games required to get there AND most penalty minutes in the 1,000 point club. Yes, he could play but, he was also a tough guy and very, in my view, chippy.

That didn't start with Turgeon. :shrug:

Black-Francis

Oh, come on! Hunter was one of the 'chippy' guys from his days with the Nordiques! That's why we got him!

1,000 point player, most games required to get there AND most penalty minutes in the 1,000 point club. Yes, he could play but, he was also a tough guy and very, in my view, chippy.

Correct, Hunter always played his style the same way.....That Turgeon hit was pure emotion from being knocked out of a Game 7 playoff series.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Correct, Hunter always played his style the same way.....That Turgeon hit was pure emotion from being knocked out of a Game 7 playoff series.

Good point. If anything, THAT was the one play that was out of character for him. He was always the guy that was digging at your ribs or slashing your wrists or whacking your shins and washing your face from the side or behind after the whistle. The Turgeon thing was WAY over the top, even for him.

Toxick

Splat

No, it didn't start with Turgeon at all. But I think that most anyone who calls him a cheap-shot artist or a dirty player or a thug will, 9 times out of 10, be thinking of that specific incident. And if you call them out for labeling him a thug, they will cite that incident at Proof Positive.

Before then he was considered, as you say, chippy. After that ... he gained a bad rep.

BTW: I have a signed Dale Hunter hockey card, which I got signed by him during his suspension for slamming Turgeon.
Got Kevin Hatcher's autographed card, same day ... :yay:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
ESPN is reporting Ovie is going to receive a $232 thousand dollar fine, in addition to his 2 game suspension?

LordStanley

I know nothing
Although this has been pretty much discussed enough, the only problem I have with this whole mess, is the penalties assessed to Ovie.

Was the boarding call correct? - yes

Did he deserve a game misconduct on top of that? -No... In my opinion there was no intent to injure Campbell on that play.

The NHL needs to work on the rules and these "gray" areas addressed during the off season. Lets get the refs back to making league wide consistant calls. !!!

Black-Francis

Although this has been pretty much discussed enough, the only problem I have with this whole mess, is the penalties assessed to Ovie.

Was the boarding call correct? - yes

Did he deserve a game misconduct on top of that? -No... In my opinion there was no intent to injure Campbell on that play.

The NHL needs to work on the rules and these "gray" areas addressed during the off season. Lets get the refs back to making league wide consistant calls. !!!

Is it still boarding when he flew into the boards from at least 5 or 6 feet away from the boards...I don't agree with the boarding call especially since he was hit on the side shoulder area.

LordStanley

I know nothing
Is it still boarding when he flew into the boards from at least 5 or 6 feet away from the boards...I don't agree with the boarding call especially since he was hit on the side shoulder area.

Yes it is... However if Campbell stayed on his feet and still went into the boards with Ovie helping him from behind, its not boarding.

Also, boarding is not defined by the intensity of the "hit". If I push you from behind while we are digging against the boards for the puck, you loose your balance and go face first into the glass, thats boarding.... You dont have to be hit by a freight train into the boards for it to be boarding.

Last edited: