Olympics, who is watching what event?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I can't wait til we have the Olympics in a time zone that's not completely opposite of ours. Even if I record what's on in the middle of the night, I'll know the results before I can watch it.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I can't wait til we have the Olympics in a time zone that's not completely opposite of ours. Even if I record what's on in the middle of the night, I'll know the results before I can watch it.

I know WTOP puts out a warning before they give any results so you can turn your radio down, but probably doesn't make any difference with everyone else giving out results.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
We've been watching swimming (of course) and gymnastics. I've been watching softball (Osterman no-hit AUS last night) and some volleyball as well as boxing. Boxing should be removed as an Olympic sport due to the eff'd up scoring system they use. Personally I'd like to see some of the shooting events and kayaking get some more coverage.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Watched the Mens gymnastics last night. I think they got robbed.

They killed on the highbar and recieved lower scores than japan and china, whos routines werent that hard.

I think our men should have at least recieved silver.

I was watching the women's gymnastics highlights of the high-beam competition and Shawn Johnson was robbed. Even the announcers were shocked at her rather low score. One of them called them out "Her routine wasn't perfect but it definitely deserved a higher score."

I was kind of surprised nbc called that out. Either way, something doesn't smell right. They said one of the Chinese gymnasts are too young to participate in the Olympics, yet here she is competing anyways.

The IOC needs to take a good hard look at what's going on in Beijing, first the Chinese government pulls a singer because she "wasn't pretty enough" and has someone else lip-sync one of the biggest pieces in the opening ceremonies, and now this little fiasco.

AndyMarquisLIVE

I HATE how NBC decides to wait to air everything in primetime. One of the swimming things, they were talking about on MSNBC Olympic Setup yesterday morning, and the anchor says "You can catch this segment in it's entirety tonight on NBC."

WTF? A full 20-something hours after it happened? :banghead:

I'd like to see the Olympics go back to CBS. NBC has events airing live on NBCOLYMPICS.com, they have CNBC, USA, MSNBC, Bravo, we, shopNBC, Universal HD and CNBC World. And they can't bring us stuff until a full 22 hours after something happened? :smack: :buttkick: :shutup: :bonk:

bcp

In My Opinion
when NASCAR becomes an olympic event I will have interest, until then.
got better things to do, like pick the sock lint from under my toenails.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

We've been watching swimming (of course) and gymnastics. I've been watching softball (Osterman no-hit AUS last night) and some volleyball as well as boxing. Boxing should be removed as an Olympic sport due to the eff'd up scoring system they use. Personally I'd like to see some of the shooting events and kayaking get some more coverage.

In regards to boxing: I agree that the scoring system needs some work, but as I see it, they have it in place for a reason. Is it a good reason? You decide, but here is my take on it. If the scoring is more of a free-for-all of the judges just deciding who did better in the fight, then it will be more of an "all out" fight and will lead to more knock-outs. Of course, this is more exciting, BUT remember that these fights are between people who would like to compete in at least a few olympics. If the fights are all-out, they may be lucky to get through one or two "seasons". All I saw was fly-weight, so maybe that isn't the best thing to judge off of, but these guys looked like any hardcore fighting and they'd be done for. They'd prefer it be more about strategy :shrug:

I was watching the women's gymnastics highlights of the high-beam competition and Shawn Johnson was robbed. Even the announcers were shocked at her rather low score. One of them called them out "Her routine wasn't perfect but it definitely deserved a higher score."

I was kind of surprised nbc called that out. Either way, something doesn't smell right. They said one of the Chinese gymnasts are too young to participate in the Olympics, yet here she is competing anyways.

The IOC needs to take a good hard look at what's going on in Beijing, first the Chinese government pulls a singer because she "wasn't pretty enough" and has someone else lip-sync one of the biggest pieces in the opening ceremonies, and now this little fiasco.

I had heard that "half the Chinese gymnastics team is underage, but they have government-regulated passports that legally state their age, so 'it is what it is'." Basically, it may be strongly believed that the girls are underage, but there is really no way to prove it that would make it worthwhile.

LordStanley

I know nothing
I had heard that "half the Chinese gymnastics team is underage, but they have government-regulated passports that legally state their age, so 'it is what it is'." Basically, it may be strongly believed that the girls are underage, but there is really no way to prove it that would make it worthwhile.

And we do mean young. Their passports are issued by a Chinese government that is very, very interested in winning lots and lots of gold medals, so while they may say they're 15 or 16, five of the six team members have the appearance of pre-pubescent children. "The little babies," is how U.S. coach Martha Karolyi refers to the Chinese gymnasts when speaking to her team, and they certainly are little. Li Shanshan (16) is 4-foot-9, 79 pounds. Yang Yilin (15) is 4-foot-11, 77 pounds. He Kexin (16) is 4-foot-8, 73 pounds. Jiang Yuyuan (16) is 4-foot-7, 71 pounds. But the prize goes to Deng Linlin (16), who's listed at 4-foot-6 and a strapping 68 pounds. She could take a nap in Yao Ming's sneaker. Poor thing's also missing a tooth. Please, someone send baby food.

I guess living in a Communist nation that cheats to win, has its perks...

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
It's too bad they're going to drop softball. I recorded it so hubby can watch it later. He won't get any of the results while at work. Of course he just messaged me that he has a fantasy football league draft tonite and he has to go look at a side job, :shrug: so who know when or if he'll watch it, lol.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
It's too bad they're going to drop softball. I recorded it so hubby can watch it later. He won't get any of the results while at work. Of course he just messaged me that he has a fantasy football league draft tonite and he has to go look at a side job, :shrug: so who know when or if he'll watch it, lol.

You can watch them on CNBC.com later the next day.

Cat threw a no hitter last night! :yahoo:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I was thinking about years past with Aunt Betty and my Nan doing needle point in the living room while they watched the Olympics. They always spoke to eachother in Italian so when Aunt Betty Stood up and cheered for the USA the way it sounded in her thick accent was "GO YOU ASS! GO YOU ASS!"

Ahhhh, I love the Olympics :lmao:

T

tiny_dancer33

Michael Phelps is a GOD. So is Lezak.

And the men's gymnastics team. So proud of them for pulling a team bronze and medaling with China and Japan even without the Hamms. Pumped for all-arounds. (But holy cow, did anyone else see Yang Wei on the pommel horse? Ridiculous.)

That is all. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

I guess living in a Communist nation that cheats to win, has its perks...

That's too funny. GF mentioned that one of the Chinese girls didn't have all her teeth or something and I thought she was full of #### :lmao:

I wonder though, are those Chinese girls REALLY small, or just appear small to us? Obviously, Asians are small in stature. How big is the AVERAGE 16 yo Chinese girl? :shrug:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
There's no way that one chick is 16. Rumors have been all around she's not. I guess if she isn't, the cat will be let out of the bag sooner or later. I'm sure the Chinese gov't will deny they knew she was too young.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Would China lose the Gold if she was underage? Or try to say it isn't a big deal like the little girls from the opener?

Pooh31

Would China lose the Gold if she was underage? Or try to say it isn't a big deal like the little girls from the opener?

I dont think that they would be stripped of the gold, I'm not really sure. But I have to agree with Bela (USA coach, I know I spelled his name wrong), I think that the IOC should lift the age ban. I mean if they athletes are good enought to participate then they should be able to. He made it clear that China and other communist countries can fake a passport to make them seem of age. But then again the only problem with that is that they take these kids from their families at an early age and that sport become their lives.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Did anyone post about the weightlifter? I know it happened a day or so ago. Saw some pics on the internet but they're removing the videos due to copyright stuff. Pics looked pretty bad.