Olympics, who is watching what event?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
The dude went to lift up the weights (looked like from behind him?) and his arm bent back the wrong direction and broke. Heard a few on the radio say it ranked right up there with Theisman (sp?) incident. No blood or anything but his arm was just hanging there.

LordStanley

I know nothing
The dude went to lift up the weights (looked like from behind him?) and his arm bent back the wrong direction and broke. Heard a few on the radio say it ranked right up there with Theisman (sp?) incident. No blood or anything but his arm was just hanging there.

:barf: :faint:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
OMG!!!! :shocked::shocking: I showed it to hubby and he hollered and left the room. Did they ever report what happened exactly (broken, etc.)?

T

tiny_dancer33

But I have to agree with Bela (USA coach, I know I spelled his name wrong), I think that the IOC should lift the age ban. I mean if they athletes are good enought to participate then they should be able to. .

I agree with both you and Bela. It used to be all of the best female gymnasts were under 16 when they went international. And why not? Gymnastics are certainly easier the smaller you are, around age 14-18. Older gymnasts are more likely to fall out because of injuries - Dominique Dawes, Shannon Miller. I think some kind of medium between our team's ages (18 to 20ish) and China's (probably about 14-18, in actuality) is the best. For women, anyway. Men's gymnastics would be at a disadvantage with younger athletes.

And I agree with someone above (I don't remember who it was) that there's no way to prove that the girls are underage. And I don't think it's cheating - it's entirely possible that their coaches didn't know how old they were. Birth records in China, unless you're from an urban center, are shaky at best. My friend has parents who immigrated here from China, and while one has all the records you would expect, being from a city in Sichuan, the other came from a much smaller town (suburbs/country) and only has recorded the month and date of her birth exactly. She only knows her birth year within about a two year margin - her mother died when she was young.

And if they took away the gold medal from the Chinese girls after giving it to them? I'd honestly be pretty pissed. Age is a crappy way to win.

Besides, we still have all-arounds tonight to blow them out of the water! Rooting for Nastia and Shawn. :yay:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
I agree with both you and Bela. It used to be all of the best female gymnasts were under 16 when they went international. And why not? Gymnastics are certainly easier the smaller you are, around age 14-18. Older gymnasts are more likely to fall out because of injuries - Dominique Dawes, Shannon Miller. I think some kind of medium between our team's ages (18 to 20ish) and China's (probably about 14-18, in actuality) is the best. For women, anyway. Men's gymnastics would be at a disadvantage with younger athletes.

And I agree with someone above (I don't remember who it was) that there's no way to prove that the girls are underage. And I don't think it's cheating - it's entirely possible that their coaches didn't know how old they were. Birth records in China, unless you're from an urban center, are shaky at best. My friend has parents who immigrated here from China, and while one has all the records you would expect, being from a city in Sichuan, the other came from a much smaller town (suburbs/country) and only has recorded the month and date of her birth exactly. She only knows her birth year within about a two year margin - her mother died when she was young.

And if they took away the gold medal from the Chinese girls after giving it to them? I'd honestly be pretty pissed. Age is a crappy way to win.

Besides, we still have all-arounds tonight to blow them out of the water! Rooting for Nastia and Shawn. :yay:
Yeah but if they cheated to win the medal how is that fair?

We didn't cheat......

Severa

Common sense ain't common
BREAKING NEWS: American Rebecca Soni wins women's 200 breaststroke in world-record time

:yahoo: for another Gold for TEAM USA! :patriot:

Yeah it's a wonder I didn't wake up the kids cheering that one.
Jumping up and down in my living room like a raving lunatic.
GO USA! :patriot:

AndyMarquisLIVE

Yeah it's a wonder I didn't wake up the kids cheering that one.
Jumping up and down in my living room like a raving lunatic.
GO USA! :patriot:
Gonna be a good day for Team USA.

Michael Phelps leaves with 2 more Gold medals tonight - isn't Michael Phelps just an incredible athlete? His dominance in Athens and Beijing is absolutely phenomenal.

Shawn Johnson's gonna win the Gold in All-Around and repeat what the US did in Athens when Carly Patterson won the Gold Medal in Women's All Around Gymnastics 4 years ago. :popcorn:

Plus it's a lot more exciting this year when you actually get to see some events live and not 18 hours after CNN and MSNBC have run reports on it. :coffee:

Severa

Common sense ain't common
msnbc.com's gonna get sick of running these banners all night.

They might as well just change it now...

Kinda feel sorry for the West Coasties not able to see as much live stuff.
I tried to do the nbcolympics.com video streaming but never got it to work.