Osprey are coming!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
Nice in flight shots Jason. All mine are on nest.

IMG_8722.jpg

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
Dead Eye, I wish I could get the angle you get of them on their nests. You Get an awsome perspective for your shots!

J

I

Inkpen

We are not the ones who love "our" osprey.
From Scotland:

"RSPB Scotland staff at the Loch Garten Osprey Centre are delighted to announce that the regular breeding female, 11 year old EJ, has returned to her nest at Scotland's most famous osprey site for a sixth time.

Hopes are high that a male will follow soon, ahead of the centre opening to the public on Tuesday 1 April. And for the first time ever, from Monday, people will be able to keep an eye on proceedings via a brand new webcam which will stream live images of the nest site to anyone with an internet connection."

A lot of detailed notes and photos and sadly, loss of chicks on the loch.

Well worth a virtual trip to view the web cam and read how the Scots are working to bring back osprey to Scotland.

Here is the live web cam of the nest.

Last edited by a moderator:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
It appears that there are two sets of ospreys putting nests up outside my office, on a tower. I don't have the ability to take pictures that close, but if anyone is interested in taking pictures, PM me and I'll confirm, once I'm sure they are setting up nests. We have had them there for about five years, but this is the first time I've seen what I think is two nests, one right below the other.

T

TwilightImaging

Ahhh the torture! And to think I'm scaling 100' trees for images 1/16th this quality...the pain! You are all amazing!

I

Inkpen

Ahhh the torture! And to think I'm scaling 100' trees for images 1/16th this quality...the pain! You are all amazing!

But you CAN climb!! And your shots are awesome!!!
Not to worry, the osprey will be here waiting for you!!!

And so will all of us OL....( Osprey Lovers) :buddies:

T

TwilightImaging

But you CAN climb!! And your shots are awesome!!!
Not to worry, the osprey will be here waiting for you!!!
And so will all of us OL....( Osprey Lovers) :buddies:

Thank you Ink'...I can see it now..."Hey look a floating nest...wait...it's MIKE trying to get closer!":killingme:mikey:

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
I got one shot today from a few hundred feet away of the nest sight I built last week . They were only visitors though as there nest is across the creek.

IMG_8929.jpg

I

Inkpen

Thank you Ink'...I can see it now..."Hey look a floating nest...wait...it's MIKE trying to get closer!":killingme:mikey:

Hey,...not all that odd...
Last summer, July 4th, a pair of Juvies were floating down Middle River IN their nest!!!
Figure some arse hole poled the nest, knocking nest and babies off in the river...and off they floated.....got picked up by one of our volunteers and brought in for exam.

They were OK and later Greg Kearns, Pax River Park, renested them with another nest and were fed and cared for!!
Poor parents..they fly away for food for 2 and come back to 4....???

Here is one of our volunteers with the Floating Twins on July 4th, 2007

Attachments

• osprey twins.JPG
    osprey twins.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 76
I

Inkpen

Ink...do you mind if I keep that image?

Sure..not sure why..just an "intake " photo at the clinic...
Nothing compared to what you shoot!!

One of many osprey we get in through their stay here in Maryland.

Have a few more close up of the dudes....

Hang on..Ill go and put them up.

I

Inkpen

Just 2 more..
One is of brand new talons..never used for fishing....

The other one close up of head as she tries to eat a glove...needless to say they were hungry and she decided the glove did not taste like fish!

At this age, they have NO clue what the talons are for...in a few weeks..look out!!!
Amazing birds...just amazing!!!

Attachments

• New talons.JPG
    New talons.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Not fish.JPG
    Not fish.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 71
T

TwilightImaging

Sure..not sure why..just an "intake " photo at the clinic...
Nothing compared to what you shoot!!

One of many osprey we get in through their stay here in Maryland.

Have a few more close up of the dudes....

Hang on..Ill go and put them up.

Thanks...we do a bit of Raptor work down here and I'd like to continue up there as well, especially with the Osprey...we have so few down here.
It is really amazing to me what you can learn through photography...like learning a specific species traits and reactions to certain situations...one thing I have learned...every single living organism out there has its own personality and no two will ever react the same!

T

TwilightImaging

Just 2 more..
One is of brand new talons..never used for fishing....

The other one close up of head as she tries to eat a glove...needless to say they were hungry and she decided the glove did not taste like fish!

At this age, they have NO clue what the talons are for...in a few weeks..look out!!!
Amazing birds...just amazing!!!

Holy smokes! Beautiful!:hot:

I

Inkpen

Sadly not all are Happy Endings..
Rescued one that was impaled on a canal marker...took me several hours to get it off the spike..and the damage to the wing was so bad, the raptor vet had to put him down.
It hung on this spike for 8 hours and all sorts of boaters went by and did nothing.
It was my "brothers" at the local Vlol. FD that got me out there in their boat and at 9 pm we got the bird off the spike and "SPLASH" into the water and a second later into my arms for a 2 hour ride back to the center.

I will never forget that rescue nor the cries of the momma telling it to fly away.....and we had to put her baby down.......

Not all make it....but the Twins did...and that is what it is all about!

Status
Not open for further replies.