Outdoor Smoking Ban

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
barncat said:
I agree, my husband even states if he can't smoke and drink, it's pointless. For a few years I was fine, but I must have some allergy now because every time I go into a bar I get a sinus infection. So I just stay out of bars, my problem is solved.

A friend of mine is like that, she used to be in a bar every other night it seemed, but now she cant go in there without getting all stuffy and sinus problems, but I really dont think its the smoke, I think it has more to do with all the mixtures of colognes (sp) and perfumes....atleast that is what gives me the headache at times

barncat

BS Gal said:
Like the alcohol is healthy for you?

Yes, this was pointed out earlier and I corrected myself saying it would have been more appropriate to say healthier than drinking and smoking. I'm fairly healthy now, no drinking here at all, surprising what pregnancy can do for ya. Now if chocolate wasn't so available I wouldn't have my doctor telling me I gained a little too much and I need to cut out the junk food.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
barncat said:
Yes, this was pointed out earlier and I corrected myself saying it would have been more appropriate to say healthier than drinking and smoking. I'm fairly healthy now, no drinking here at all, surprising what pregnancy can do for ya. Now if chocolate wasn't so available I wouldn't have my doctor telling me I gained a little too much and I need to cut out the junk food.

Next up on the government chopping block....chocolate.

barncat

Softballkid said:
A friend of mine is like that, she used to be in a bar every other night it seemed, but now she cant go in there without getting all stuffy and sinus problems, but I really dont think its the smoke, I think it has more to do with all the mixtures of colognes (sp) and perfumes....atleast that is what gives me the headache at times

Mines definately the smoke. My grandpa is a heavy smoker and I stayed at his house for one night and could barely breathe the next morning. Ended up taking sinus medication for over a week to clear it up.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
barncat said:
Mines definately the smoke. My grandpa is a heavy smoker and I stayed at his house for one night and could barely breathe the next morning. Ended up taking sinus medication for over a week to clear it up.

Maybe you are just meant to be in one of them controlled enviroment rubber balls :shrug:

:lmao:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Softballkid said:
Where were these at... Im just trying to think of a bar in St. Marys that ever did that :scratchhead:

And also, how did they accomodate the smokers??

You got me curious now... and I dont like to be curious :tantrum:

Im just thinkin like last night in Toots, Imma say at one point, probably 40 people in there, I think I seen 2-3 NOT smoking...

:smack: There are bars in places other than St. Mary's.

This argument was used in Delaware and California. Both places, if you go to a bar, there's a smoking area outside. Some places that were on the edge and had a hardcore smoking clientel did go under, but almost all survived. Same thing would happen here. The places who only have smoking and drinking would hurt. Places that have bands, drinking games (darts, pool, etc.), or dancing would survive. No way 95% close.

barncat

elaine said:
Next up on the government chopping block....chocolate.

When not pregnant I never crave chocolate. Since pregnancy it's been chocolate and hot sauce, not together, but they are the two things I crave.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
barncat said:
When not pregnant I never crave chocolate. Since pregnancy it's been chocolate and hot sauce, not together, but they are the two things I crave.

You never answered my question. Why wouldn't it be an option for you to step outside a bar and get some fresh air?

barncat

elaine said:
You never answered my question. Why wouldn't it be an option for you to step outside a bar and get some fresh air?

I think mine has developed into an allergy because stepping out for a few minutes for fresh air does not relieve the stuffiness and irrated eyes that I get. Maybe down the road I will investigate and see what can be done as far as allergy treatment, but at the moment it's not relevant to my situation so I'm not worried about it.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
barncat said:
I think mine has developed into an allergy because stepping out for a few minutes for fresh air does not relieve the stuffiness and irrated eyes that I get. Maybe down the road I will investigate and see what can be done as far as allergy treatment, but at the moment it's not relevant to my situation so I'm not worried about it.

Okay. Now the statement makes sense.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
barncat said:

They do have this surgery out now, where they are finding out people have something in there nose that can be removed for better breathing and all that, a guy I work with had it done, he no longer snores, or gets all stuffy...might be something to look into....

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Softballkid said:
They do have this surgery out now, where they are finding out people have something in there nose that can be removed for better breathing and all that, a guy I work with had it done, he no longer snores, or gets all stuffy...might be something to look into....

deviated septum? I have that.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
elaine said:
deviated septum? I have that.

:shrug: I dont remember what it is called....

I just know he was like this lady saying she gets all stuffy when he goes around smoke, of ANY kind, grill, fire, cig, pipe, whatever... and his wife complained about his loud snoring...

went to the doc, they told him about the surgery, he got it done, now he can go where ever he pleases and he's fine... no more sinus problems, or stuffyness

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Softballkid said:
:shrug: I dont remember what it is called....

I just know he was like this lady saying she gets all stuffy when he goes around smoke, of ANY kind, grill, fire, cig, pipe, whatever... and his wife complained about his loud snoring...

went to the doc, they told him about the surgery, he got it done, now he can go where ever he pleases and he's fine... no more sinus problems, or stuffyness

I've had a couple of smacks to the face. Once when I was 12, then a few years ago, which caused mine. I think a lot of my sinus problems are due to this as well. They don't remove a deviated septum, they repair it. They're basically opening up your nasal passages.

Also, you don't have to have an accident to have a deviated septum. Often, they're naturall ocurring.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Pete said:
Isn't that Doctor speak for "crooked nose"

You might say that, but it doesn't mean it's something visible. My nose isn't crooked.

Last edited:
elaine said:
Also, you don't have to have an accident to have a deviated septum. Often, they're naturall ocurring.
I have one. Mine comes from an older brother who enjoyed the "mug" game... that's when he mushed my nose with his palm and hollered "MUG!"...:ohwell:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
elaine said:
I've had a couple of smacks to the face. Once when I was 12, then a few years ago, which caused mine. I think a lot of my sinus problems are due to this as well. They don't remove a deviated septum, they repair it. They're basically opening up your nasal passages.

:eyebrow: ok...... I guess thats what he had done.. :lmao:

cuz that does sound like what happened, they "opened his passages"