Outdoor Smoking Ban

hwyman3

ylexot said:
Please find a study that shows that second hand smoke is a health risk.

Anyway, I think smoking/non-smoking is a choice for the owner of the establishment. If someone wants to have a bar that caters to non-smokers, that's up to them. If that's what the people really want, then the bar will be a success and cause other bars to change to non-smoking. Banning smoking is just plain un-American :patriot:

The reason that it is almost impossible to find a non-smoking bar is the 2 go hand in hand. Many people will have a smoke when they drink.

The other argument I've heard before is that it's actually more profitable when an establishment goes non-smoking. They even cite the increased revenues in Montgomery County. What they don't point out is that revenue and profit do not go hand in hand. These places make a lot more money on alcohol than they do food. Several of these National Chains have the data to prove it. Since they can compare the performance of their restaurants in California and Delaware to before and after smoking bans, they know how these ban hurt their bottom line. If it ended up being a more profitable solution, wouldn't at least one of the national chains tried to roll this policy out nationwide?

barncat

2ndAmendment said:
Sorry for your misfortune, but it sounds like a personal problem.Ah. Choice. It is OK for you to choose to come to a bar that is a place where smoking occurs and insist that everyone go outside to smoke. Got it. Ever hear that this country is, at least was, a place of freedom. Now I know the thought that people can choose to do things that may be bad for them may be foreign to liberals, but the nation was founded on personal freedom. Of course when it comes to sex out of marriage, drug use, use of public funds for things that are not authorized in the founding documents of the nation, liberals find that is OK. So, everyone must change their choice or loose their freedom to accommodate you. :yay:Yeah. Monogamous marriages, people being responsible for their own actions, health, wellbeing, finances are a thing of the past because of liberal government-got-to-take-care-of-me junkies like you.

WOW! I'm anything but a liberal, I could give a rat's ass about anything political. Just stating my opinion like you have a right to also. I'm not the one being accommodated by the way, smoking is allowed in bars, so get your story straight.

ylexot

Super Genius
hwyman3 said:
The reason that it is almost impossible to find a non-smoking bar is the 2 go hand in hand. Many people will have a smoke when they drink.

The other argument I've heard before is that it's actually more profitable when an establishment goes non-smoking. They even cite the increased revenues in Montgomery County. What they don't point out is that revenue and profit do not go hand in hand. These places make a lot more money on alcohol than they do food. Several of these National Chains have the data to prove it. Since they can compare the performance of their restaurants in California and Delaware to before and after smoking bans, they know how these ban hurt their bottom line. If it ended up being a more profitable solution, wouldn't at least one of the national chains tried to roll this policy out nationwide?
Then non-smoking bars are not what the people want. This is really simple stuff folks.

ylexot

Super Genius
barncat said:
WOW! I'm anything but a liberal, I could give a rat's ass about anything political. Just stating my opinion like you have a right to also. I'm not the one being accommodated by the way, smoking is allowed in bars, so get your story straight.
Ah, but you want a smoking ban in bars...

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
barncat said:
But you are espousing that it should be changed so you are accommodated, so my story is straight.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Let's put it this way...

If you're walking into a bar, you're 'usually' walking into that bar to do something unhealthy. So then, why should a part of the bar culture leave? If one wants to do unhealthy things, then let them.

Last edited:

barncat

ylexot said:
Ah, but you want a smoking ban in bars...

No I never stated that. I just choose not to patronize bars because of smoking. If the laws changed and smoking was banned I would patronize them, until then, I'm fine drinking at restaurants and other locations where there isn't smoking. And right now and no time in the near do I plan on drinking anywhere, bar or restaurant, since I'm pregnant. So I could really care less if there's a ban or not, I've found away around my problem, even if my husband who does smoke, has to visit bars without me.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
barncat said:
No I never stated that.
This wasn't you?
barncat said:
I don't agree with your comment. I'm a non-smoker and enjoy bars, but not the smoke. So why should I not be able to enjoy the bar without the smoke? The smoke isn't healthy for you or me, so I'm fine if you have to take it outside to smoke.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I know, where Im from, which is Hollywood MD, St. Marys County, you make bars go to a non smoking bar, 95% of them will SHUT DOWN!!! And then we lose our GOD GIVEN place in the Genus Book of World Records for having the most bars per square mile per capita....

Dont TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME!!! Thats my claim to fame whem Im on travel

:alkies: is what I love, and :alkies: who smoke in the bar with me, would totally understand where Im commin from....hahaha..

Im not an alkie, but I like my 10oz Bud Light, and dang nabbit, I wanna cig with it :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
barncat said:
Either way it goes someone is being accommodated.
Then you'll forgive me I'd rather that someone be ME! :lol:

I had a conversation with a local restaurant owner a bunch of years ago when they were considering making all St. Mary's restaurants smoke-free. He said he hoped it would pass because he'd love to go non-smoking. I said, "You can go non-smoking right now - it's your restaurant." And he replied, "Can't do it - I'd lose too many customers."

:eyebrow: :shrug:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Softballkid said:
I know, where Im from, which is Hollywood MD, St. Marys County, you make bars go to a non smoking bar, 95% of them will SHUT DOWN!!! And then we lose our GOD GIVEN place in the Genus Book of World Records for having the most bars per square mile per capita....

Dont TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME!!! Thats my claim to fame whem Im on travel

:alkies: is what I love, and :alkies: who smoke in the bar with me, would totally understand where Im commin from....hahaha..

Im not an alkie, but I like my 10oz Bud Light, and dang nabbit, I wanna cig with it :yay:

That's been proven false many times over in places that claimed it would kill business. Sure, some failed, but they were on the verge. Most bars found ways to accomodate the smokers, and still keep making drunk drivers.

Not that I advocate banning smoking. See my earlier post. If it's a health issue for employees, treat it just as you would any other hazardous material issue. If your only goal is to ban smoking, you can shove that the same place I want to see you shove gun bans.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
barncat said:
I don't agree with your comment. I'm a non-smoker and enjoy bars, but not the smoke. So why should I not be able to enjoy the bar without the smoke? The smoke isn't healthy for you or me, so I'm fine if you have to take it outside to smoke.
Like the alcohol is healthy for you?

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
MMDad said:
That's been proven false many times over in places that claimed it would kill business. Sure, some failed, but they were on the verge. Most bars found ways to accomodate the smokers

Where were these at... Im just trying to think of a bar in St. Marys that ever did that :scratchhead:

And also, how did they accomodate the smokers??

You got me curious now... and I dont like to be curious :tantrum:

Im just thinkin like last night in Toots, Imma say at one point, probably 40 people in there, I think I seen 2-3 NOT smoking...

barncat

2ndAmendment said:
This wasn't you?

I didn't agree with his comment about non-smokers complaining about the smoke in bars. If it was the other way around, the smokers would be complaining about not being able to smoke in the bars. I guess it's one of those situations where one group will have to complain while the other one enjoys the outcome. Either way, I just didn't agree with his comment, that's all.

barncat

vraiblonde said:
Then you'll forgive me I'd rather that someone be ME! :lol:

I had a conversation with a local restaurant owner a bunch of years ago when they were considering making all St. Mary's restaurants smoke-free. He said he hoped it would pass because he'd love to go non-smoking. I said, "You can go non-smoking right now - it's your restaurant." And he replied, "Can't do it - I'd lose too many customers."

:eyebrow: :shrug:

I agree, my husband even states if he can't smoke and drink, it's pointless. For a few years I was fine, but I must have some allergy now because every time I go into a bar I get a sinus infection. So I just stay out of bars, my problem is solved.