PA to MD moving HELP

frequentflier

happy to be living
Lusby lover here! It is 7 minutes to Solomons and Lusby town centers for shopping. My home is on the west side of 2/4; where there are a lot of properties with acreage and privacy. Lots of woods. Prince Frederick is about 15-20 minutes away. The power plant is about 12 minutes.

I agree with others, stay away from the Chesapeake Ranch Estates (CRE) and White Sands.

Do you have a realtor? What price range are you looking in?

Though it is scary to move from everything you have ever known, this is a pretty nice area. You may consider that you have already made some friends by joining this forum ;-) There are truly a lot of nice people on the forums and friendly people in the area. There is a lot to do here and some great locally owned restaurants.

Please reach out if you need any more help and or referrals!

Auntie Biache'

If I had it to do over again, I'd look for a home with property. No subdivision/HOA. Maybe something out by Jefferson Patterson Park, but anything off the beaten path like that will be nice. There is plenty of good shopping and doctors/hospital in Annapolis. Depending on how much of a commute your husband is willing to make will help you decide where you want to live. Maybe somewhere between the power plant and Annapolis. Living anywhere in Calvert County puts you within about an hour of Annapolis. I couldn't wait to leave the area, after living there and dealing with the growth for 20+ years, but I made some great friends while living there. I also lived in St Marys/Lexington Park. While I was in a nice enough neighborhood, I still had to deal with the base traffic, and from what I understand, it has gotten even worse since I left 4 years ago.

Auntie Biache'

Lusby lover here! It is 7 minutes to Solomons and Lusby town centers for shopping. My home is on the west side of 2/4; where there are a lot of properties with acreage and privacy. Lots of woods. Prince Frederick is about 15-20 minutes away. The power plant is about 12 minutes.

I agree with others, stay away from the Chesapeake Ranch Estates (CRE) and White Sands.

Do you have a realtor? What price range are you looking in?

Though it is scary to move from everything you have ever known, this is a pretty nice area. You may consider that you have already made some friends by joining this forum ;-) There are truly a lot of nice people on the forums and friendly people in the area. There is a lot to do here and some great locally owned restaurants.

Please reach out if you need any more help and or referrals!
Very well put!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Hi! I am pretty nervous to move as silly as that sounds.. I’ve lived here all my life and it sounds like it’ll be really different! 😊
My wife and I moved here from northern Illinois when she got the job at the Navy base.

We looked at the traffic, will echo the others in advising you to live on the side of the bridge where the job is.

Biggest thing you will face, sticker shock on real estate and cost of living, I think. That hit us.
Not as wide a variety of shopping, hospitals or other services as a more accessible part of the country.
First place we've lived that was not within a few miles of an interstate.

We had a 3 bedroom/2 bath ranch style house on a full basement with attached 3 car garage (about 10 feet deeper than the standard garages here), 3/10 acre lot. We got $132,000 for it in 2013.

We did settle on a newer development in Lexington Park, 4 bed/3 1/2 bath 2 story/finished basement/2 car garage 1/4 acre lot...$342,000 when we bought in 2013.

However, the folks we've met here have been A-1 in very large part, except when they are driving. ;)

BTW, Anita and I are from western Massachusetts originally, lived in Vermont, Ohio, Florida, Nebraska and Ohio again, before our 16 1/2 years in Illinois. She was an officer in the USAF, have made my life following her career. 😸

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Welcome to Maryland! My ex worked at CCNPP and we lived in Lusby for 20 years, but that was a long time ago. Moved back to St. Mary's about 15 years ago because the commuting from Calvert to St. Mary's and back was a nightmare then and now it is even worse.

Lusby has grown tremendously since then and it is worth a look. Short drive to the plant and lots of shopping conveniences now. Like other have said, avoid White Sands and the Chesapeake Ranch Estates. We lived on the west wide of 2/4 down Coster Road and it was a pretty quiet area.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Welcome to Maryland! My ex worked at CCNPP and we lived in Lusby for 20 years, but that was a long time ago. Moved back to St. Mary's about 15 years ago because the commuting from Calvert to St. Mary's and back was a nightmare then and now it is even worse.

Lusby has grown tremendously since then and it is worth a look. Short drive to the plant and lots of shopping conveniences now. Like other have said, avoid White Sands and the Chesapeake Ranch Estates. We lived on the west wide of 2/4 down Coster Road and it was a pretty quiet area.
My home is off Mill Bridge.

Toxick

Splat
Due to my husband’s job transfer to Calvert Cliffs Nuclear plant we will be moving from central PA to MD. We are used to having a decent amount of shopping near us - malls, grocery stores, target etc -

If you're looking for city-living, I'm afraid that's not going to happen unless your husband is willing to commute.

Like far.

as well as access to numerous hospitals and doctors and great schools.

The schools in Lusby are good. That's where my turds all went/go. No complaints.

Lusby is also within ambulance distance to Calvert Memorial and St. Mary's Hospital (I prefer the latter, but wouldn't avoid the former).

We are unsure of what the best area to move would be. So far we’ve been looking around Lexington park and in st Mary’s county.

Personally, I would advise against Lexington Park.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I'm in Northern Calvert - Owings - between Dunkirk and the Beach areas. If your hubby travels during rush hours, he would be going against traffic to get to and from work. The Owings area has great schools from Elementary to High school. This location also puts you closer to DC, Annapolis, and Bowie since Calvert doesn't have a lot of shopping mall type areas going for it. Not sure what your price range for a home is, but you can probably find something decent from the low to mid $300's and on up.

Good luck in your search and welcome to Maryland!

Auntie Biache'

If you're looking for city-living, I'm afraid that's not going to happen unless your husband is willing to commute.

Like far.

If they bought near the county line (Anne Arundel and Calvert) they'd be approx 30 minutes from the power plant and 30 from Annapolis. Any nice area's to look at around there?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Folks, you seem to forget this person will be going counterflow if they live in the Park and drive to Calvert. When I drop my wife in Wildwodd for work in the morning, going south is horrible, but the flow going north into Calver is nothing. Same in the afternoon.

Now, about the Park, you all think of the Park as the 1/2 mile radius around the Library. But I live in the Park. On 4 acres of complete woods with nobody near. The Park is huge. Google Maps shows this, which is only about 50% of the whole place, shown below. So dont shut the Park out.

I don't care which way you are going, when there is a problem on the bridge, it affects both directions of traffic - and you are assuming they are not working shift work.

There is not one good reason to subject yourself to that ****ed up traffic nightmare called the Thomas Johnson bridge.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hello

Due to my husband’s job transfer to Calvert Cliffs Nuclear plant we will be moving from central PA to MD. We are used to having a decent amount of shopping near us - malls, grocery stores, target etc - as well as access to numerous hospitals and doctors and great schools. We are unsure of what the best area to move would be. So far we’ve been looking around Lexington park and in st Mary’s county. Also considering some areas in Calvert county.
What are the best areas to live? I know every place has their positive and negatives.. just looking for some insight as we are completely unfamiliar with the area.

thanks!
I'd stay in Calvert, just not the Ranch Club.

Southern Calvert has incredible schools, night and day to what my kids had in PA.

We lived in Solomons, and 3 of my 4 oldest all went to school in the county and LOVED it.