PA to MD moving HELP

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Bridge? Everyone seems to hate the Solomons bridge. If you buy in St Mary's, say the California/Hollywood area, there is really no rush hour into Calvert. And once into Calvert, a 5 minute drive to CCNPP, In addition. St Mary's property taxes are lower, overall. In St Mary's your car does not need to have emissions testing done every two years, (St Mary's being exempt). Much more retail stores to choose from in St Mary's than Calvert. Though some say backwoods? St Mary's County Commissioners actually listen and are far more fiscally conservative that the asshat politicians in Calvert. Schools? All down to perception. Calvert has a great propaganda machine. Basically, they put lipstick on a pig. So, look in St Mary's first. Plus, the folks over there are much more laid back and cheerful. More so than the uppity snots in Calvert.

molly_21

I'm in Northern Calvert - Owings - between Dunkirk and the Beach areas. If your hubby travels during rush hours, he would be going against traffic to get to and from work. The Owings area has great schools from Elementary to High school. This location also puts you closer to DC, Annapolis, and Bowie since Calvert doesn't have a lot of shopping mall type areas going for it. Not sure what your price range for a home is, but you can probably find something decent from the low to mid $300's and on up.

Good luck in your search and welcome to Maryland!

It is wiser to be closer to work (esp. since OP is not going to DC, then it is a different story). In my case, I work at Pax and I'd rather be closer to work and drive to the entertainment (like shopping malls on the weekend or days off) then be closer to entertainment and have to drive longer to work. Can't speak for the OP. But I am sure they would rather have a shorter commute to Calvert Cliffs from Lusby/Solomons/St. Leonord/southern Prince Frederick then drive from Owings every day.

CRE is not bad. The down side to CRE is that if you are on a side road it takes them forever to plow if at all. There are times the Cul-De-Sac I live on we've have to clean it out ourselves (luckily it is is a small road) or at least clean it up enough to actually get out.

transporter

Hello

Due to my husband’s job transfer to Calvert Cliffs Nuclear plant we will be moving from central PA to MD. We are used to having a decent amount of shopping near us - malls, grocery stores, target etc - as well as access to numerous hospitals and doctors and great schools. We are unsure of what the best area to move would be. So far we’ve been looking around Lexington park and in st Mary’s county. Also considering some areas in Calvert county.
What are the best areas to live? I know every place has their positive and negatives.. just looking for some insight as we are completely unfamiliar with the area.

thanks!

Here's a ridiculous idea...why don't you come down here for a week and travel around the area? Get up in the am and drive the roads to see where the traffic is....drive around to the different shopping areas...find the things that interest you...talk to a real estate professional who can offer advice about schools...tax rates....home values.

Auntie Biache'

If I may ...

Bridge? Everyone seems to hate the Solomons bridge. If you buy in St Mary's, say the California/Hollywood area, there is really no rush hour into Calvert. And once into Calvert, a 5 minute drive to CCNPP, In addition. St Mary's property taxes are lower, overall. In St Mary's your car does not need to have emissions testing done every two years, (St Mary's being exempt). Much more retail stores to choose from in St Mary's than Calvert. Though some say backwoods? St Mary's County Commissioners actually listen and are far more fiscally conservative that the asshat politicians in Calvert. Schools? All down to perception. Calvert has a great propaganda machine. Basically, they put lipstick on a pig. So, look in St Mary's first. Plus, the folks over there are much more laid back and cheerful. More so than the uppity snots in Calvert.

That was actually a pretty good post, very informative, and I agree with everything you said...except the last statement. That was pretty uppity and snotty. I have friends in Calvert, and they are anything but uppity and snotty.

PA2MD

Here's a ridiculous idea...why don't you come down here for a week and travel around the area? Get up in the am and drive the roads to see where the traffic is....drive around to the different shopping areas...find the things that interest you...talk to a real estate professional who can offer advice about schools...tax rates....home values.

we are coming down next Friday as I stated in one of my posts. However it is always nice to get local perspective on places. I appreciate your input though

nobody really

I need a nap
If I may ...

If I may......

WTF???? 5 min drive to CCNPP. And seriously, move to st. Mary's to save money on emissions testing? a huge $12 every two years!!!! not even going to address the rest of the dumb crap you wrote.

PA2MD

If I may ...

Thanks!! My husband actually works rotating shifts during rush hour he is usually going opposite of everyone else.. he works 12 hour shifts at that. in regards to commute due to that we would prefer 30 to 35 MIN tops.

We’ve been looking at places in both counties however the homes we really like are in st Mary’s. We found one or two in st Leonard. It does seem more expensive over there and you don’t seem to get as much. The emissions thing is great to hear.. however in PA we have to do that every single year so that really doesn’t matter to us.

Thanks very much again for a different view. It is appreciated.

PA2MD

Calvert County is where you want to be, between Solomons and Prince Frederick. It will be close to work, reasonable to Annapolis, and close enough to basic shopping. St. Mary's will make your husband want to jump off the bridge because rush hour traffic is the worst.

thanks! He actually works rotating 12 hour shifts so rush hour doesn’t usually impact him depending on when rush hour actually is there!

PA2MD

My husband worked at CCNP. We lived in California and currently Prince Frederick. Huntingtown schools are best. Hubby will not want to deal with Johnson Bridge in winter, stay on the plant side of Patuxent River. Calvert Health, hospital is in Prince Frederick, but any serious health concerns will require going to DC or Baltimore.

how did he like working there if I may ask??

PA2MD

I worked at CCNPP for 30 years, live in the southern part of St Mary's. My commute was never bad but I was at work by 0530. I would stay away from St Mary's county because of the bridge required for the commute. I would also avoid the White Sands and Ranch Club communities.

thank you! How did you like working there? He will be working rotating 12 hour shifts so he would also be at work around the same time you went

Auntie Biache'

PA2MD, try to do some research on builders. There are homes that were put together fast and cheap during the boom. I had neighbors who's basements flooded every time there was a good rain. Not just one neighbor, but several. This was in the Greenbrier community south of the base. There are a half dozen or so homes built by Ripple Brothers that you'd be lucky to have, so ask. Our home was built by them, and they do superior work. Also consider an older home, if possible. Vrai had a real nice older home some years ago, before she went nomad.

PA2MD

Lusby lover here! It is 7 minutes to Solomons and Lusby town centers for shopping. My home is on the west side of 2/4; where there are a lot of properties with acreage and privacy. Lots of woods. Prince Frederick is about 15-20 minutes away. The power plant is about 12 minutes.

I agree with others, stay away from the Chesapeake Ranch Estates (CRE) and White Sands.

Do you have a realtor? What price range are you looking in?

Though it is scary to move from everything you have ever known, this is a pretty nice area. You may consider that you have already made some friends by joining this forum ;-) There are truly a lot of nice people on the forums and friendly people in the area. There is a lot to do here and some great locally owned restaurants.

Please reach out if you need any more help and or referrals!

We do not have a realtor yet. We are in very early stages of all of this. We would like to be around 380s/390s max but if there is something we absolutely love for 400/410 we aren’t opposed to that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bridge? Everyone seems to hate the Solomons bridge. If you buy in St Mary's, say the California/Hollywood area, there is really no rush hour into Calvert.

Not true and anyone who travels over that bridge to and from work will tell you. I remember those backups well and it taking half an hour to get from Settler's Landing to Ruddy Duck, normally a 10 minute trip. And that's when there's no accident on the bridge, which can push that drive time to an hour or more.

PA2MD

PA2MD, try to do some research on builders. There are homes that were put together fast and cheap during the boom. I had neighbors who's basements flooded every time there was a good rain. Not just one neighbor, but several. This was in the Greenbrier community south of the base. There are a half dozen or so homes built by Ripple Brothers that you'd be lucky to have, so ask. Our home was built by them, and they do superior work. Also consider an older home, if possible. Vrai had a real nice older home some years ago, before she went nomad.

what area is this in? st Mary’s? If you have any links or sources regarding poor builders let me know.. I will try to look on my own as well
Thank you for the info

PA2MD

Thank you all so much! This is a lot of information and very helpful if not a bit overwhelming 😂

I’m also going to have to consider a potential commute for myself.. I’m hoping to find a similar job there to what I have now.. I only work part time as an HR manager for a company. His commute is more important than mine though due to his long hours (12) and schedule (rotating shifts) so where we live will mostly be based on that. I adapt.
we found a few homes in st Leonard we liked but I’m not as sold on the area. 🤷🏼‍♀️

it looks like I have a ton of research to do! thank you all again

Auntie Biache'

what area is this in? st Mary’s? If you have any links or sources regarding poor builders let me know.. I will try to look on my own as well
Thank you for the info
South of the base, St Marys. Greebrier is off of Hermanville Rd. It's the south end of The Park (what locals call Lexington Park), so it's a bit removed. I can't vouch for the neighborhood anymore, as we've been gone for 4 years.

I don't have any lists of builders, and most of them have gone out of business, or changed their names. I do know that there were some "Quality" homes that I heard negative things about. Beyond that, I'm not sure anymore. It's been a while since these homes were built. 25+ years.

Auntie Biache'

Thank you all so much! This is a lot of information and very helpful if not a bit overwhelming 😂

I’m also going to have to consider a potential commute for myself.. I’m hoping to find a similar job there to what I have now.. I only work part time as an HR manager for a company. His commute is more important than mine though due to his long hours (12) and schedule (rotating shifts) so where we live will mostly be based on that. I adapt.
we found a few homes in st Leonard we liked but I’m not as sold on the area. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Your realtor should be able to tell you who the builder was, as well as you looking for tell-tale signs when you look at houses.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Power plant operator? That's what my ex-husband was for most of his time there and sometimes he was so exhausted from working the 12 hours he was thankful we only lived about 10 minutes away.

Bonehead

thank you! How did you like working there? He will be working rotating 12 hour shifts so he would also be at work around the same time you went
It is an intense place to work, very controlled and tightly regulated. The old joke was you don't use the rest room without a detailed procedure in hand with a briefing of the procedure and the intended outcome and alternate plans if something different happened.

Your husband must be in Operations, Security or Maintenance correct ?

Bonehead

Power plant operator? That's what my ex-husband was for most of his time there and sometimes he was so exhausted from working the 12 hours he was thankful we only lived about 10 minutes away.
I might have worked with your ex....