People Can’t Drive!

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Hubby drives a 4-dr, 8ft bed GMC pickup, often towing a 24 ft trailer. He stays on the road everywhere. And stupid little cars almost climb on the trailer.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This happened Friday evening here on the island..

boat.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
Hubby drives a 4-dr, 8ft bed GMC pickup, often towing a 24 ft trailer. He stays on the road everywhere. And stupid little cars almost climb on the trailer.

And I think everybody gets that, its the people who think their GMC Terrain is so large that they need to turn right before making a left that cause a problem. I see it all the time for people turning left onto Park Hall road. These are the damn people who insist that even with a wide driveway that they need to turn from the travel lane.

Turning radius, like braking performance, is a thing that very few people actually ever teach themselves to use. And that's sad because a lot of crashes could be avoided if people knew what their vehicle was capable of.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Did they hit the rocks, or just started sinking and that's where it went down?
Hit the rocks. Its actually very difficult to make out the island on some dark nights when approaching from the river side...and the navigational markers and lights for the bridge channel were removed several years ago...so the whole low shoreline is basically invisible and blends in to the horizon; you have to know where it is.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Hit the rocks. Its actually very difficult to make out the island on some dark nights when approaching from the river side...and the navigational markers and lights for the bridge channel were removed several years ago...so the whole low shoreline is basically invisible and blends in to the horizon; you have to know where it is.
I've never navigated thru there at night, but I remember back in the 80s-90s when visiting the orginal Evans, after the sun went down it was absolutely pitch black out there. No shore lights, no nuttin'.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

A good marine chartplotter/gps/fishfinder combo unit would have prevented that. The major reason one is on my boat. As you are correct, even when you know the local waterways and navigational landmarks like the back of your hand during the day, when it's dark/night, it's a whole other world out there. Add in a storm or simple rain, and it gets even worse. And even with a chartplotter, it's always good practice to have a watchful lookout just in case while the captain is at the helm.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just saw the boat being side-towed by TowUS to the boat ramp. Obviously pretty badly damaged...and that's gonna be an expensive recovery bill too.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For your consideration ...

A good marine chartplotter/gps/fishfinder combo unit would have prevented that. The major reason one is on my boat. As you are correct, even when you know the local waterways and navigational landmarks like the back of your hand during the day, when it's dark/night, it's a whole other world out there. Add in a storm or simple rain, and it gets even worse. And even with a chartplotter, it's always good practice to have a watchful lookout just in case while the captain is at the helm.
Back in the 70s and 80s we'd run the entire river all hours of the night at high speed, playing connect-the-dots with the many waterfront bars that once populated the Potomac. No instruments...not even a compass. From Dennis Point all the way to Georgetown. Good times...good times...

In boats like these (that I still have actually..)

Andy in Champ color adjust.jpg
P1010174.JPG

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Only "incidents" I had involved running through trap nets or a bunch of dredge stakes.

Nobody was hurt..didn't even slow down the bar run .

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've posted on that FB page about our close call. It still make me anxious to know how close we were to a catastrophic accident. 😰
Doesn't take much.
My only near-miss was up on LI at night. I was heading out of Port Jefferson Harbor and into LI Sound thru the jetties. I lined up on the light at the tip of the east jetty and used that as my guide. At one point I looked down into the water, and saw it was only inches deep. Hard turn to the port, fishtailed the boat, slowed and stopped for a reality check. What I didn't realize is that the jetty wasn't straight from the inside edge to the point, but actually jutted into the channel. I was inches away from the jetty rocks.

Capture1.JPG

3CATSAILOR

Here we go again - only about 3 miles from this morning’s accident.

The other day I was driving down Route 5 and someone came "head on" in to my lane of traffic. I was lucky enough that there was a paved shoulder. I laid on my horn. It didn't make any difference. As the person went by, I was still close enough to see that it looked like the person was STILL on her cell phone. I suspect drugs were also involved. No one could have been that crazy without being on drugs. Head on accidents usually don't work out very well for anyone. Most of the time people die from it.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Back in the 70s and 80s we'd run the entire river all hours of the night at high speed, playing connect-the-dots with the many waterfront bars that once populated the Potomac. No instruments...not even a compass. From Dennis Point all the way to Georgetown. Good times...good times...

In boats like these (that I still have actually..)

View attachment 165379 View attachment 165380
I thought the driver in the first pic looked familiar. When I opened in a new tab, I noticed the name and confirmed.