People Can’t Drive!

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Seriously. :yay:

I dont' go down that way often but it doesn't seem like it should be as collision prone as it is.

What is it with that intersection?
Folks coming up NB 235 want to get around grandma driving at half the speed of smell as soon as the road starts to open up. When that lane widens, it's like the green flag at Daytona Boogity, boogity boogity! Peeps coming SB holler YOLO! as they take that left to go down into Forest Park, since you know, the light was green and phuck your right of way. Then there's just the plain old Tik Tok watchers trying to see what stupidity people will perform just for a 👍

frequentflier

happy to be living
Folks coming up NB 235 want to get around grandma driving at half the speed of smell as soon as the road starts to open up. When that lane widens, it's like the green flag at Daytona Boogity, boogity boogity! Peeps coming SB holler YOLO! as they take that left to go down into Forest Park, since you know, the light was green and phuck your right of way. Then there's just the plain old Tik Tok watchers trying to see what stupidity people will perform just for a 👍
:lmao:

Makavide

Not too talkative
Also been meaning to say something about this. I've noticed people are pushing the yellow more and more lately. Cant tell you how many I seen enter the intersection when my light has just turned green. Every time I stop for a red I wonder if I'm going to get rear ended by someone trying to get through the light.

I have been seeing this a bit more as well. Especially on Chancellors Run Road. The intersection of Chancellors Run Rd and Buck Hewitt/Norris Rd has a 2 second delay from turning red on Chancellors to green on Hewitt/Norris. Over the Veterans Day weekend I watched 4 different times when a car was going down chancellors and ran the red (the light had turned green on Hewitt/Norris). I tend to wait a second or two after the green now.

glhs837

Power with Control
UFB! That intersection needs to be changed to a traffic circle.

Ah, no. Rotaries are not the answer there. You would doom the side roads to never getting out, or clogging 235 horribly. See below.

I chalk up most of the accidents at that intersection (of most intersections for that matter) to driver negligence of basic driving etiquette. The intersection in question is light-controlled and there is plenty of viewable roadway from every angle.

Not as light controlled as it should be. Whats really needed is to make all the left turns protected. A half measure that would help would be making the 235 to Hermanville and Gate 3 protected. For those whoi dont know, a protected left means that you only get left turn arrows when the straight through traffic is stopped. Like every other light on 235 north of there.

Make the turns onto 235 would be costly, as neither of those roads have two lanes to make a dedicated left turn lane and it would be a serious project to make it so. Making the lefts from 235 onto the side roads, thats as simply as some singage and adding the cameras that detects people waiting in the left turn lane.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

THAT intersection! A gas station on the right on the way to Point Lookout? I've always hated that area. That left turn lane area, while going south, is a cluster. Very poorly designed. Heck, even going north with a single lane then immediately into two lanes is weird. And looking at it, the lanes before and after going north/south don't even line up. I've only driven in a north/south route, never turned on any of the other roads there.

Thanks for the post.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

THAT intersection! A gas station on the right on the way to Point Lookout? I've always hated that area. That left turn lane area, while going south, is a cluster. Very poorly designed. Heck, even going north with a single lane then immediately into two lanes is weird. And looking at it, the lanes before and after going north/south don't even line up. I've only driven in a north/south route, never turned on any of the other roads there.

Thanks for the post.
I think there are definately worse designed intersections here (GMR and Shangri La, the turn that doesnt line up with Navy Federal, etc). I think that intersections problems are people being stupid and the inconsistent traffic light behavior. Kom was pretty spot on.

glhs837

Power with Control
I would bet its really only a full second overlap on that light. Might seem longer, but most people misjudge seconds like that. 235 is a full second, I cant imagine that a secondary is any longer than that.

Not that taking that extra second for yourself is a bad idea. I always make sure I see slowing on all vehicles approaching the red before I commit to forward motion, and always leave enough to change my speed if needed.

ginwoman

I would bet its really only a full second overlap on that light. Might seem longer, but most people misjudge seconds like that. 235 is a full second, I cant imagine that a secondary is any longer than that.

Not that taking that extra second for yourself is a bad idea. I always make sure I see slowing on all vehicles approaching the red before I commit to forward motion, and always leave enough to change my speed if needed.
Agreed but so many people speed right up to the red light and I'm not sure if they're going to stop.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Agreed but so many people speed right up to the red light and I'm not sure if they're going to stop.
I wonder if those folks who go full speed up to a Red Light, and then stand on the brakes, think they are going to scare the inanimate object into changing.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
At this time of year, seems people are more distracted than usual, rushing more than usual.