People Can’t Drive!

glhs837

Power with Control
Or a related note, does anyone think the "improvements" to Park Hall road are going to stop drunks in pickups from going off the edge and destroying 1000 feet of roadside ditch while they try to coax Besty up out of there? It isnt speed, and its not those two corners, its just drunks.

Or a related note, does anyone think the "improvements" to Park Hall road are going to stop drunks in pickups from going off the edge and destroying 1000 feet of roadside ditch while they try to coax Besty up out of there? It isnt speed, and its not those two corners, its just drunks.
I think those rumble strip things will have...exactly no impact on that road.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think those rumble strip things will have...exactly no impact on that road.

Exactly. other than the school bus that went into the ditch by the farm, I cant think of any crashes on that road. Crashes. I cant think of any. I can think of three or four instances of the culvert and the road edge being damaged. And all of those were like hundreds of feet long. And the one most recently where they kept going until the took out that ladies fence. Which is why I think drunks just trying to get their truck back on the road.

Nobody is going off in the corners.

PeoplesElbow

How many more accidents do we accept at this intersection before we demand changes?

I've noticed the left turn arrow going southbound is not always there. I was behind a car that turned left as soon as the light changed but did not have the arrow and got plowed.

Why is there an arrow some times and not others? This is always the same time of day about 06:15 as I head into work.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've noticed the left turn arrow going southbound is not always there. I was behind a car that turned left as soon as the light changed but did not have the arrow and got plowed.

Why is there an arrow some times and not others? This is always the same time of day about 06:15 as I head into work.

I would have to look, most times these days, these sorts of "intermittant need" signals are not time based, but conditional based depending on what the camera sees. If it sees someone waiting, it should trigger the left arrow.

After looking it over, looks like this is still in the stone ages with an induction in the pavement. Might be its intermittant if you are seeing cars waiting and not getting the arrow.

And I'm with TP, this intersection has to be disproportionately represented in the crash data. I go through there on the bike all the time, but at certain times I will not go through from certain directions. And every time I go through, the threat radar is on a maximum scan rate. Its just crappy lane alignment and oddball sightlines.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I would have to look, most times these days, these sorts of "intermittant need" signals are not time based, but conditional based depending on what the camera sees. If it sees someone waiting, it should trigger the left arrow.
And you have to stop at the light at least 10 seconds (casual observation) before the light cycles for the light to acknowledge your presence. If you pull up too late, you don't get a turn arrow. Gotta pay attention.

PeoplesElbow

After looking it over, looks like this is still in the stone ages with an induction in the pavement. Might be its intermittant if you are seeing cars waiting and not getting the arrow.

And I'm with TP, this intersection has to be disproportionately represented in the crash data. I go through there on the bike all the time, but at certain times I will not go through from certain directions. And every time I go through, the threat radar is on a maximum scan rate. Its just crappy lane alignment and oddball sightlines.
I've known two people on motorcycles wreck there, one died.

glhs837

Power with Control
And you have to stop at the light at least 10 seconds (casual observation) before the light cycles for the light to acknowledge your presence. If you pull up too late, you don't get a turn arrow. Gotta pay attention.

Yeah, I will NOT cross the streams there going north or south. And minimize east west. Back when I was commuting, I was taking the left to go south from Gate, but annoyed other turners because no way in hell was I taking that left unless there was either no traffic or I had a left turner going the other way to cover me.

I've known two people on motorcycles wreck there, one died.

Yep, its the most dangerous intersection I deal with and that's always on my mind.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I just looked at the pics again. Unless I'm mistaken, the bus was making a left turn on to Hermanville Rd from 235. The other driver was southbound on 235. The car had right of way, the bus did not yield (state of the lights is an unknown). BUT... from the length of the marks left by the car, he must have been traveling pretty fast.

PeoplesElbow

I just looked at the pics again. Unless I'm mistaken, the bus was making a left turn on to Hermanville Rd from 235. The other driver was southbound on 235. The car had right of way, the bus did not yield (state of the lights is an unknown). BUT... from the length of the marks left by the car, he must have been traveling pretty fast.
Sadly, I've had school buses here pull out in front of me twice where I had to get on the brakes to avoid hitting them.