People will bitch about anything

PsyOps

Pixelated
Looks clear to me the photo is out of line with what "respect for flag" stands for, and it does not stand for any photo op, cute or not.

Your link pretty much covers it:

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever.

I'm sure no ill intent was meant, but even unintentional disrespect for the flag is still disrespect.

Just because people disagree about the use of the flag in this thread does not mean they be bitchin' about it.

My point was more for the military. They can and will be held accountable for doing anything that violates the code. So, if this person in the photo is really in the military, it’s unfortunate they might be facing some sort of consequences. The woman that took the photo appears to be a military spouse. Her husband could be called in to answer for it.

It's clear the the supreme court has ruled that civilians can do pretty much whatever they want with the flag under the 1st amendment. Although I would like to see people have a sense of respect for the symbol, but I have a higher respect for the constitution and allowing people to do all the dumb things they want to do; as long as they aren't harming anyone.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hey, I don't make the rules. Everyone in the military signs the line knowing this.

The flag is not being disrespected in this photo. It is actually being honored as a symbol of our country.

As far as:
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
The flag is always folded and presented to next of kin at every military funeral I have ever attended. We'll note that "folded" is not "aloft and free".

As I said originally, people will bitch about anything.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The flag is not being disrespected in this photo. It is actually being honored as a symbol of our country.

As far as:
The flag is always folded and presented to next of kin at every military funeral I have ever attended. We'll note that "folded" is not "aloft and free".

As I said originally, people will bitch about anything.

I’m not bitching, I’m pointing out the code; a code that members of the military are required to follow or face consequences.

I don’t think their intent was to disrespect, but to honor. But, just like so many things, you either agree there is a PROPER way to do things or you don’t. I think this was improper; regardless of their intent.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
But I don't think the University gets to expel them for it.

What's next, expel students that listen to misogynistic rap music that is full of racial slurs. Better yet, good thing none of those kids were athletes that would shout out something like this:

On September 17, 2014, Jameis Winston was suspended for the first half of Florida State's upcoming game against Clemson. The Guardian reported that, "several students tweeted," that Winston shouted, "#### her right in the pussy," an Internet meme, while standing atop a table in Florida State University's Student Union. Two days later, university president Garnett S. Stokes and athletic director Stan Wilcox, citing results of an "ongoing investigation", announced that Winston would be suspended for the whole game

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'd rather see the flag cradling a baby than as a prop for some lying politician's televised bullchit. .

That I agree with.

That said, I didn't serve so, I can't speak to this first hand. I CAN speak first hand to how I feel when I SEE the flag.

Furthermore, as a history buff and avid reader I do know the countless mention of the importance of the colors in battle from the revolution to Iwo Jima to the US trooper who draped it over Saddam's face on that statue and was ordered to take it down less someone get the wrong idea that we were there to actually win the damn thing.

"Come on, men! Rally 'round the...baby diaper thingy..."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's being used as swaddling clothing... :tap:

Actually, it's not. The baby is clearly swaddled in a regular blanket and I presume it is wearing a diaper as well, although we cannot see that. The flag is being used as a cradle, which is supported by a member of our military.

Why can't you see that? <--That's a real question.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I want to make sure you all actually looked at the photo. Obviously some of you didn't, because you're saying the flag is being used as a diaper and a swaddling blanket and whatever else is not actually in the picture.

If this photo is small, click it and it will enlarge.

View attachment 107245

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Actually, it's not. The baby is clearly swaddled in a regular blanket and I presume it is wearing a diaper as well, although we cannot see that. The flag is being used as a cradle, which is supported by a member of our military.

Why can't you see that? <--That's a real question.

I do see it and under normal circumstances, I would be like "Aww....what a beautiful turkey!!!" but I didn't feel like that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I want to make sure you all actually looked at the photo. Obviously some of you didn't, because you're saying the flag is being used as a diaper and a swaddling blanket and whatever else is not actually in the picture.

If this photo is small, click it and it will enlarge.

]

Baby Hammock?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The symbolism is clear, I thought. :shrug:

But, you're not supposed to DO that with the flag.

Neal turning you into a care free rebel more concerned with being happy, good feelings and ####abuncha rules? You right turning on red without fully stopping? Leaving carts in the middle of the aisle at the store while you wander off looking for bon bons? Tearing mattress tags????

:tap:

luvmygdaughters

But, you're not supposed to DO that with the flag.

Neal turning you into a care free rebel more concerned with being happy, good feelings and ####abuncha rules? You right turning on red without fully stopping? Leaving carts in the middle of the aisle at the store while you wander off looking for bon bons? Tearing mattress tags????

:tap:

Well let see, you're not supposed to stomp on it, disgrace it, or wear it either. Doing this is a clear indication of disrespecting the flag. A soldier, cradling his child in the flag that flies for his country, symbolizing freedom and protection, is not disrespecting the flag. Grew up in the 60's and 70's, remember seeing an awful lot of "hippies" disrespecting the flag too many times.