People will bitch about anything

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well let see, you're not supposed to stomp on it, disgrace it, or wear it either. Doing this is a clear indication of disrespecting the flag. A soldier, cradling his child in the flag that flies for his country, symbolizing freedom and protection, is not disrespecting the flag. Grew up in the 60's and 70's, remember seeing an awful lot of "hippies" disrespecting the flag too many times.

So, is your point that two wrongs make a right? Or, if they do it, we can too? Or 3 rights make a left? :lol:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Cradling, showing a sign of protection.

Sorry, DoWhat, but the flag is not there to cradle or protect us. It is our duty to cradle and protect the flag. People have the right to do what they wish with the stars and stripes, and people have the right to disagree with how they display such.

And that ain't bitching.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Well let see, you're not supposed to stomp on it, disgrace it, or wear it either. Doing this is a clear indication of disrespecting the flag. A soldier, cradling his child in the flag that flies for his country, symbolizing freedom and protection, is not disrespecting the flag. Grew up in the 60's and 70's, remember seeing an awful lot of "hippies" disrespecting the flag too many times.

Let's put it this way... A family has a photo of their dead parents. It means the world to them because the love in that family was undefinable. It had a place of honor on a stand that belonged to the parents, with a candle and a cross. They revered the photo and it never moved except to dust it off and table it was on. They tell everyone how special the photo is; it's the very symbol of the strength of their family; and that's why it sits there. Someone comes along and moves the photo to the kitchen table where more people could see it. Their intentions were good because they wanted more people to see it; but the family is hugely offended that someone would have the nerve to move that photo from such a special place.

Was that 'someone' right or wrong for moving the photo?

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The flag is not being disrespected in this photo. It is actually being honored as a symbol of our country.

As far as:
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
The flag is always folded and presented to next of kin at every military funeral I have ever attended. We'll note that "folded" is not "aloft and free".

Ridiculous statement. Have you ever attended a military funeral where the flag was folded over the casket by an honor guard? I've been to two in the front row - my dad and an uncle. The precise snapping and folding of the flag is a sight to behold, and will bring tears and emotion to everyone present. That folded and "not aloft and free" flag, as you stated, represents a fallen soldier, and the flag essentially dies with him/her.

Keep trying. People can/will do what they want with the flag. Doesn't make it right, even with nice intentions.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Ridiculous statement. Have you ever attended a military funeral where the flag was folded over the casket by an honor guard? I've been to two in the front row - my dad and an uncle. The precise snapping and folding of the flag is a sight to behold, and will bring tears and emotion to everyone present. That folded and "not aloft and free" flag, as you stated, represents a fallen soldier, and the flag essentially dies with him/her.

Keep trying. People can/will do what they want with the flag. Doesn't make it right, even with nice intentions.
The flag never dies. That is why it is never buried with the service member.
Yes, more than two and I know how to fold a flag.

Do you hang a flag at your house?

Last edited:

BigBlue

The flag is not there to cradle or protect us, but it is our job to cradle and protect the flag.

Oh for God's sake stop it . So I guess you don't want your children raise and protected in the cradle of democracy which is what people see when they look at that picture ,what are you a communist ?:doh:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Why do retired Military have a flag in their shadow box?

Why not fly it?

Attachments

• Shadow Box.jpg
    Shadow Box.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 143

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The flag never dies. That is why it is never buried with the service member.
Yes, more than two and I know how to fold a flag.

Do you hang a flag at your house?

Yes, we do. And when it gets faded, tattered, or damaged, it gets "retired" and properly disposed of. How about you? Folding a flag is easy. Most people have no idea of what the flag is,. how many stripes, stars, what the colors represent, etc., until they look it up.

All you that like a cutsie picture, fine. It is still not proper.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
A respected, accepted, honored military tradition for fallen warriors? Do you have a problem with that?
No, and I respect all who have served.
But why have a flag in your shadow box?
It should be displayed properly.

mamatutu

mama to two
No, and I respect all who have served.
But why have a flag in your shadow box?
It should be displayed properly.

To preserve it. I have my dad's funeral flag in a shadow box. I would never display it because I want to have it saved for future generations. The sun will zap a flag in no time. Also, in a shadow box it is still in the form it was presented to the family; a triangle. What exactly do you mean by displayed properly? Just wondering.

Last edited: