People will bitch about anything

Inkd

To preserve it. I have my dad's funeral flag in a shadow box. I would never display it because I want to have it saved for future generations. The sun will zap a flag in no time. Also, in a shadow box it is still in the forum it was presented to the family; a triangle. What exactly do you mean by displayed properly? Just wondering.

Flag code states: The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

mamatutu

mama to two
Flag code states: The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

Ok. I get that. But my question is how do you display it without ruining it. Hang it on your living room wall? What is wrong with preserving an American flag. Museums preserve American flags. What is the difference? TIA :smile: :patriot:

Inkd

Ok. I get that. But my question is how do you display it without ruining it. Hang it on your living room wall? What is wrong with preserving an American flag. Museums preserve American flags. What is the difference? TIA :smile: :patriot:

According to this site

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm

Do I have to fold my flag in the triangular fold for storage between use?

No, for storage purposes, you may use the ordinary rectangular fold and, perhaps, place your flag in a plastic bag. If the flag is affixed to a staff, you may roll the flag around the staff for storage. The triangular fold is not required, but is traditional for display of the flag, often placed in a rectangular wooden display box. Instructions for the triangular fold as provided on this page. Before folding the flag, always be sure it is dry and clean.

Any valued flag may be displayed in the triangular box. It is not exclusively for display of funeral flags. For example, if you were to get a flag that flew over the White House, you could display that in the triangular box.

It seems the point of contention here is that some people view the picture of the flag cradling a baby is not proper as per the flag code. Which also states that the flag should not be drawn up in folds, like it is for a shadow box and at funerals, but allowed to fly free.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Attachments

• My Flag 03-2015.jpg
    My Flag 03-2015.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 145

mamatutu

mama to two
According to this site

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm

Do I have to fold my flag in the triangular fold for storage between use?

No, for storage purposes, you may use the ordinary rectangular fold and, perhaps, place your flag in a plastic bag. If the flag is affixed to a staff, you may roll the flag around the staff for storage. The triangular fold is not required, but is traditional for display of the flag, often placed in a rectangular wooden display box. Instructions for the triangular fold as provided on this page. Before folding the flag, always be sure it is dry and clean.

Any valued flag may be displayed in the triangular box. It is not exclusively for display of funeral flags. For example, if you were to get a flag that flew over the White House, you could display that in the triangular box.

It seems the point of contention here is that some people view the picture of the flag cradling a baby is not proper as per the flag code. Which also states that the flag should not be drawn up in folds, like it is for a shadow box and at funerals, but allowed to fly free.

:yay: :patriot:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hate to remind you all of this, but the flag is not a holy sacred relic. It is merely a symbol. Some of you are going on like Communist Russia or Nazi Germany with this wild eyed fervor and insistence on strict protocol when it comes to a government symbol.

It's kind of scary, actually. Not to mention missing the entire point of the photograph, which is one of the sadder things I've ever seen so-called Americans do.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I hate to remind you all of this, but the flag is not a holy sacred relic. It is merely a symbol. Some of you are going on like Communist Russia or Nazi Germany with this wild eyed fervor and insistence on strict protocol when it comes to a government symbol.

It's kind of scary, actually. Not to mention missing the entire point of the photograph, which is one of the sadder things I've ever seen so-called Americans do.

People who have served look at it a little different.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I agree, and I love the photo, and I think it is beautiful! When I saw this on the news yesterday, and my first reaction to the story was how awful all the vile & vicious comments on the photographer's FB page. Freaking people with no self control and decorum. Good grief.

HOWEVER, I will also say that while I love the picture and would not personally bitch about it or nitpick it, and I also don't think anyone should be formally reprimanded for it, (this is where I disagree with Vrai, so those of you keeping count can write it down) I would have to say that it does violate the letter of the Flag Code which deals with respecting the flag.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

I'm not getting all bunched up over it or anything, but the thought did occur to me that they were stretching it a bit in doing this photo with the US Flag. I was raised in a different way, and I also taught flag ceremonies in Girl Scouts for 8 years, so I'm a bit of a Flag Code Nazi :biggrin: and wouldn't have done this type of photo. But it is a very powerful and emotional photo, and I do like it.

Inkd

Also the American Legion and the Boy Scouts.

I have retired 1 on my own.

We did one during my initiation. There were a couple on the Fob I worked at too. It seems that each outgoing unit would retire the flag they had flown for their tour. Maybe one unit didn't. They may have presented it to one of their senior military members.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Anyone remember this? I'm sure most do. I remember when it happened, don't remember if there was any bitching about it.

:howdy:
I remember this!!! *I* might have been the only one bitching about it, if anyone was at all! I do not like it at all when I see athletes doing this.

d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free