People will bitch about anything

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The flag is not being disrespected in this photo. It is actually being honored as a symbol of our country.

As far as:
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
The flag is always folded and presented to next of kin at every military funeral I have ever attended. We'll note that "folded" is not "aloft and free".

As I said originally, people will bitch about anything.

Ahh, but there are provisions for that in the Flag Code:
§175. Provisions and Manner of Display:

(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -

(1) the term 'half-staff' means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
(2) the term 'executive or military department' means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5; and
(3) the term 'Member of Congress' means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

(n) When the flag is used to cover a casket, it should be so placed that the union is at the head and over the left shoulder. The flag should not be lowered into the grave or allowed to touch the ground.

The reason the flag is folded (ceremonial) is because that is the proper way to store a flag, because it is not allowed to be buried [with the service member]. That is also the way it is presented to the next of kin.

mamatutu

mama to two
Ahh, but there are provisions for that in the Flag Code:

The reason the flag is folded (ceremonial) is because that is the proper way to store a flag, because it is not allowed to be buried [with the service member]. That is also the way it is presented to the next of kin.

Thanks for the backup. I already posted that. :yay: :patriot:

Last edited:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
A picture of a Military Father cradling his child in the United States Flag.

And some of you people are upset?

F'ing unbelievable.

mamatutu

mama to two

F'ing unbelievable.

You seemed to be upset about it. I guess you flip flopped. This thread is all over the place. Business as usual.

mamatutu

mama to two
Anybody ever call you an idiot?

Rarely. So? And you are one of them because it seems that you think you don't stink, and you have changed your stance on this thread. I have called myself an idiot for some decisions I have made. You will always be after me. So be it. Any more questions? :patriot:

Last edited:

Bann

PREMO Member
It seems the point of contention here is that some people view the picture of the flag cradling a baby is not proper as per the flag code. Which also states that the flag should not be drawn up in folds, like it is for a shadow box and at funerals, but allowed to fly free.

That portion of the Flag Code is talking about something entirely different.

Folding the flag is appropriate and is a proper way to store a flag.
Meaning of Flag-Folding Program

The flag-folding ceremony represents the same religious principles on which our great country was originally founded.

The portion of the flag denoting honor is the canton of blue containing the stars representing states our veterans served in uniform. The canton field of blue dresses from left to right and is inverted only when draped as a pall on the casket of a veteran who has served our country honorably in uniform.

In the U.S. Armed Forces, at the ceremony of retreat, the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle fold and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nation’s honored dead. The next morning it is brought out and, at the ceremony of reveille, run aloft as a symbol of our belief in the resurrection of the body.
http://www.legion.org/flag/folding

The actual FOLDS of the flag mean something. In the next post I will post the Symbols for the folds of the Flag.

Bann

PREMO Member
If you have never seen the ceremony for this - it is very solemn and very emotional. (at least to me, it always has been)

Symbols for the Folds of the Flag

The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

The second fold is a symbol of our belief in eternal life.

The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks, and who gave a portion of his or her life for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world.

The fourth fold represents our weaker nature; as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace, as well as in times of war, for His divine guidance.

The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, “Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong.”

The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The seventh fold is a tribute to our armed forces, for it is through the armed forces that we protect our country and our flag against all enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.

The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor our mother, for whom it flies on Mother’s Day.

The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood, for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since he or she was first born.

The 11th fold, in the eyes of Hebrew citizens, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost.

When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, “In God We Trust.”

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it has the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under Gen. George Washington and the sailors and Marines who served under Capt. John Paul Jones and were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the U.S. Armed Forces, preserving for us the rights, privileges and freedoms we enjoy today.

The source and the date of origin of this Flag Folding Procedure is unknown, however some sources attribute it to the Gold Star Mothers of America while others to an Air Force chaplain stationed at the United States Air Force Academy. Others consider it to be an urban legend. It is provided as a patriotic service to all.

http://www.legion.org/flag/folding

mamatutu

mama to two
No, and I respect all who have served.
But why have a flag in your shadow box?
It should be displayed properly.

Please explain.

There you go. You were vague, but now are attacking. Oh, well. I am not looking to hijack this thread with banter with you. It is a great thread and great food for thought. Have a great rest of the evening. One thing I want to say. I have never called you an idiot. Happy humaning! :patriot:

Bann

PREMO Member

F'ing unbelievable.

I'm not upset over the photo in the least. I love the photo!

mamatutu

mama to two
I just got here. I didn't read all the posts before I whipped out my handy dandy linkages. :yay:

--signed, Pocket Constitution Bann

See that's the thing. You should always read a thread before you reply, or you look like, you know. I always read a thread first. Just me. But, I also know a lot about people on this forum, and how they interact with others. :smile: :patriot:

GW8345

Not White House Approved
As a retired service member, I don't see anything wrong with the photo, the child being cradled in the flag represents what this country is, a country that will comfort and protect the innocent.

As far as a service member participating in this photo and the flag regulations, lighten up Francis.

Bann

PREMO Member
See that's the thang. You should always read a thread before you reply, or you look like, you know. I always read a thread first. Just me.

That's why you look like, you know. :shrug:

Actually, I don't need to see which way the wind is blowing or what answers are more popular before I give my opinions. Your mileage may vary.

mamatutu

mama to two
That's why you look like, you know. :shrug:

Actually, I don't need to see which way the wind is blowing or what answers are more popular before I give my opinions. Your mileage may vary.

I hope your steerage continues to blow you into fair winds. Who said anything about popular opinions? I was talking about reading a thread. If members repeat what is already said, it is obvious. Are you related to DoWhat by any chance? :lol:

My hub just sent me this from his Marine forum. Thought I would share.

Attachments

• marines.jpg
    marines.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 134