Pitt Bull Mix attacks 5 year old

camily

Peace
Our cocker spaniel bit me when I was a kid because I reached into his bowl when he was eating. My dad nearly killed him. I was not harmed, just a little nip really. This WAS a great dog that never made a sound unless there was something REALLY wrong. I don't blame the dog.
My sister had her face bitten terribly as a kid by a Golden Retriever. They are supposed to be the best family dog. The family was having a tickle fight on the bed and my sister was standing at the door laughing. I guess the dog didn't understand the tickling and laughing an mistook it for trouble and attacked the outsider. This dog had bitten a neighbor kid on the back of the head once before.

Just posting this to say it is NOT the breed of dog. We had a Pit that would run and hide at the sight of a stranger....or thunder.....or loud noises. She was abandoned and we took her in. Probably had been abused. She was the sweetest dog ever, almost as aweet as the Rottie we had. My sister has a Pit and he is wonderful and the most well behaved dog ever!
Our Chessie on the other had is very protective and dominant.
Our terrier mix is a biatch! :lmao:

Jameo

What?!
vraiblonde said:
I may agree with that. In this day and age, you can't trust people to be responsible with their animals, and you've got to protect your kids.

My daughter was mauled by a dog when she was 8 or 9. The dog was eating and she went over by it - not teasing it or anything, should have been no big deal. The dog had never bitten anyone before but it was an older dog and his eyesight was going. Or maybe the dog just "snapped" - who knows? But my friend (the dog's owner) felt horrible and had the dog put down the next day to prevent more "accidents". Her two kids saw the whole thing and it scared the hell out of them - blood all over the place. They put up no fuss about the dog being put down.

So when I get on here and see people defending animals that attack, it makes me want to lock my kids and myself in the house and never go out. At some point we need to have common sense when it comes to pet ownership.

I was thinking more along of the lines of not trusting lil' snot nosed brats to be nice and not antagonize dogs :lmao: But either way, dogs and daycares shouldn't go together.

When I was growing up we had a white German Shepard. He was THE best dog EVER! Smart as a whip. Never showed any signs of aggression to any one. One day me and a lil' girl were playing in my yard and outta nowhere, Greeky snapped and attacked the little girl. Went right for her neck :yikes: My parents had him put down that day. He was a very old fella and turned out he was ate up with cancer :frown:

You just never know. I don't trust my dogs around kids nor do I trust kids around them.

Masey

[red]Pitt Bull Mix attacks 5... 05-01-2006 11:38 AM Until you OWN a power breed, and deal with them everyday, DONT JUDGE THEM, its people like who who give these dogs bad reps.

[red] Pitt Bull Mix attacks 5... 05-01-2006 11:38 AM moron. Pixie

[green] Pitt Bull Mix attacks 5... 05-01-2006 11:34 AM Me either

Dogs never bite anyone by accident. There is no way to enforce responsible dog ownership so dangerous animals incompatible with public safety should not be kept as pets and do not belong in public.

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Jameo said:
I don't trust my dogs around kids nor do I trust kids around them.

:yeahthat:

I've always had dogs..Irish Setter, Lab mixes, German Shepherds and now Boxers. Not a nasty one in the bunch. Growing up, my children always knew to respect a dog and they were never left alone with any of the dogs. I would bet money a lot of dog BITES are from children doing something wrong and lack of adult supervision. When my grandkids come over, I am not completely comfortable with them being around the dogs. They run, scream, wave toys at them, etc. While I don't think any of my current dogs would ever hurt a child, I don't intend to give them the chance. Even good old Boomer, my Golden, in his advanced age was a sweetheart but the kids always wanted to hang on him, etc. I would (as would their mother) lecture them and keep them away from him.

Many dogs can be food aggressive and many owners don't know it because they simply put the bowl down and the dog eats. No problem. But if something comes along and does what the dog feels is a challenge for it's meal, even the meekest dog can become aggressive. I've always worked with mine from day one, putting my hands in the bowl, etc. to be sure they didn't develop food aggression.

I think most dog BITES can be avoided if dog owners educated themselves about their pets and paid more attention to the combination of pets/kids.

Last edited:
So from the little bit that we've learned on this bite... It seems the owners are at fault for letting the non-family child enter the house before proper supervision could be afforded. The dog bit someone that did not belong in the house and the "pack leader" was not on hand to let the dog know the kid was welcome. Very unfortunate for all involved.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Masey said:
Dogs never bite anyone by accident. There is no way to enforce responsible dog ownership so dangerous animals incompatible with public safety should not be kept as pets and do not belong in public.

:jameo: The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :jameo:

There's no way to enforce responsible boating! Boats don't belong in public!!!
There's no way to enforce responsible car ownership! cars don't belong in public!!!
There's no way to enforce responsible parenting! ... :whistle:

Masey you're such a boob! :killingme

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Hey, Catt...I've got a good story for you:

We had new neighbors move in about 2 months ago. Our girls & their two girls (same age) play together almost every day. The neighbor girls like to come over and get on the trampoline, however; they're both "afraid" of big doggy boy (we leash him when they're playing), and the youngest neighbor girl actually runs from little doggy boy. Well, this Saturday they came home with a dane/boxer mix. :faint:

I'm afraid that once the doggy gets bigger (he's 4 months) the girls will be intimidated by him. :frown: He's a cute little guy, too - and very playful!

Geek

HunterJJD said:
You do not get near ANY dog when it is eating. I do not care what dog or who's. I got my azz chewed up by a dog when I was little, pinned down and bitten. It was my fault PERIOD

You should be able to touch any dog's food when they are eating. You have to be the pack leader and almost any dog can be wonderful. A biting dog has a weak human. :DogWhisperer:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Chasey_Lane said:
Hey, Catt...I've got a good story for you:

We had new neighbors move in about 2 months ago. Our girls & their two girls (same age) play together almost every day. The neighbor girls like to come over and get on the trampoline, however; they're both "afraid" of big doggy boy (we leash him when they're playing), and the youngest neighbor girl actually runs from little doggy boy. Well, this Saturday they came home with a dane/boxer mix. :faint:

I'm afraid that once the doggy gets bigger (he's 4 months) the girls will be intimidated by him. :frown: He's a cute little guy, too - and very playful!

Makes you wonder about people, doesn't it? Let's hope the girls will get to be comfortable with the dog as he grows. Dog will be probably be given up because he "got too big."

camily

Peace
Masey said:
[red]Pitt Bull Mix attacks 5... 05-01-2006 11:38 AM Until you OWN a power breed, and deal with them everyday, DONT JUDGE THEM, its people like who who give these dogs bad reps.

[red] Pitt Bull Mix attacks 5... 05-01-2006 11:38 AM moron. Pixie

[green] Pitt Bull Mix attacks 5... 05-01-2006 11:34 AM Me either

Pixie!!!! I love you for signing that!!! You rock.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
cattitude said:
Makes you wonder about people, doesn't it? Let's hope the girls will get to be comfortable with the dog as he grows. Dog will be probably be given up because he "got too big."
That's what worries me. I was talking to the mom yesterday, and this is the first pet they've ever had. The oldest daughter really likes little boy doggy, and I'm guessing she was the one who did some pleading to get a pup. But a dane? :faint:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
camily said:
Pixie!!!! I love you for signing that!!! You rock.

I'm like one of those little yappy dogs like Chasey has. I'm this teeny tiny little thing but I have a big HUGE mouth and tude. :lmao: That's why Christy and Chasey love me. :love:

It's a wonder I haven't gotten my ass kicked, really. :killingme But I have my big ol' mean Pit Bull for protection.

And Geek, it's ridiculous and irresponsible to expect to be able to take food away from a dog. I too can take food away from my dog without issue. But if I were to try one day and draw back a stump it'd be no one fault but my own. I am without doubt the alpha bia in the house but even within pecking order EVERYONE has time to eat.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Masey said:
I find that particular comment just stunning.

You, Masey, are giving these dogs a bad rep. They don't give themselves a bad rep by biting - it's all your fault and the fault of the people who report these incidents. :sarcasm:

UFB.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Lugnut said:
There's no way to enforce responsible boating! Boats don't belong in public!!!
There's no way to enforce responsible car ownership! cars don't belong in public!!!
You're kidding me.

I was completely unaware a boat or a car could just jump up and attack someone all by itself, causing bodily harm or even death. Next time you see this happen, please get video.

And you call Masey a boob... :eyebrow:

Geek

pixiegirl said:
And Geek, it's ridiculous and irresponsible to expect to be able to take food away from a dog. I too can take food away from my dog without issue. But if I were to try one day and draw back a stump it'd be no one fault but my own. I am without doubt the alpha bia in the house but even within pecking order EVERYONE has time to eat.

I used to think that same thing. Then I watched the Dog Whisperer. If you own a dog you should see it. The lead dog in the pack should be able to take food away at anytime. If not the dog will see you as weak and have ownership over the food. He also never yells at the dogs, hits them, or uses the dogs name in correction. It is amazing stuff and very different from how I was taught to rasie a dog. It is very cool.

Midnightrider

vraiblonde said:
I find that particular comment just stunning.

You, Masey, are giving these dogs a bad rep. They don't give themselves a bad rep by biting - it's all your fault and the fault of the people who report these incidents. :sarcasm:

UFB.

the difference between having a dog that has a bad attitude and a "power breed" that has a bad attitude is the potential outcome. My lab mix is skeered agressive, but she only nips. a lot of times when the "power breeds" bite, they actally do major damage.

Masey

vraiblonde said:
UFB.

I try to do my part. Soon, I will single handly accomplish a world-wide ban of the pit bull. :lmao:

misslady67

citysherry said:
Let me say this, I’m not representing myself as knowing all the facts of this particular attack but this happened in my sister’s neighborhood so I’m retelling this story second hand.

First, its not a daycare, the family was babysitting the 5 year old for the day - their 5 year old and the bitten 5 year old are best friends. They had all gone out either to dinner or shopping and returned home and the parents were unloading the car and the kids let themselves into the house. Unfortunately, the bitten 5 year old entered the house first and it is supposed that the dog not recognizing her as “family” attacked her. A good portion of her ear was torn off and the dog also bit her face - on her cheek. There is nothing that can be done about the ear however, doctors are worried about the muscle under the cheek.

This is awful. That's why I said I take dog ownership seriously. I know that ultimately I am responsible for the actions of my pet. Knowing a dog's disposition and expecting the unexpected are essential when you have a pet. I hope the child makes a full recovery. I also feel sad for the owners as well...they must feel terrible about the accident. Thanks for sharing the details :huggy:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Geek said:
I used to think that same thing. Then I watched the Dog Whisperer. If you own a dog you should see it. The lead dog in the pack should be able to take food away at anytime. If not the dog will see you as weak and have ownership over the food. He also never yells at the dogs, hits them, or uses the dogs name in correction. It is amazing stuff and very different from how I was taught to rasie a dog. It is very cool.

Honey, I've watched the dog whisperer but I have enough common sense to realize that I'm not him. :lmao: I also don't have a problem dog and don't take on the attitude of most Pit Bull advocates. If the dog is a biter, any dog that is regardless of breed, it should be put down. There are plenty of nice loving dogs sitting in shelters being killed daily due to over population to tolerate aggresive dogs. I can talk the talk because I personally had to walk down the road.... :yay: