Politicizing another funeral...

BuddyLee

Football addict
Pete said:
Right here, it is simple if you uncloud your mind. Churches who actively participate in activities which are concerned with the winning or holding control of the government OR are actively engaged in guiding or influencing governmental policy are NOT within the bounds of their 501C exemption.

That is NOT to say churches cannot preach or endorse certain social issues. Abortion, abstinance, drug abuse, and so on.
Yes, I already agreed with that.

BuddyLee said:
Maybe we're getting somewhere now. Being that we cannot escape politics in a group setting a church should try not to delve into the partisan. I can buy that.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ylexot

Super Genius
BuddyLee said:
1. Not every pastor is your pastor.
I read "In comes the problem, how do you rid politics in your local church?" to mean that you can't seperate politics from the church...which is :bs:

BuddyLee said:
2. It seems to me that most who attend church have more anchored beliefs. They participate more in civil society, voting, politics; these are linked.
That is just plain false. I guess you've never seen all the atheists in politics.

BuddyLee said:
3. How is the bible not political? You could define politics as the authoritative designation of values for a society. The bible contains story after story of how one should act, does this not carry into society as a whole? If we are taught to follow the bible, aren't our own morals and beliefs derived (at least partly) from that very book. Isn't our community and society in which we live based on those beliefs? The bible offers many guidelines, some more controversial than others; this is where some may differ in opinion. Which values do we want to suggest for our community and society? What is the greatest good for us? This all boils down to politics as I see it.
The bible preaches personal values, not societal values. You can't rely on society to get you into heaven. If you want to derive personal values into politics, than I can do the same thing with anything.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Pete said:
You can easily escape politics in a religious setting.
I wonder how, show a young mind the way.:lol:

I just cannot see how a group of people cannot be political eventually. I can see how they can be non-partisan.

Pete

Repete
BuddyLee said:
I wonder how, show a young mind the way.:lol:

I just cannot see how a group of people cannot be political eventually. I can see how they can be non-partisan.
Your definition of politics must be so broad you are clouded. Call me in 20 years when you are "enlightened" :lol:

Give me an example of Biblical politics. I will wait right here. :taptap:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Pete said:
Your definition of politics must be so broad you are clouded. Call me in 20 years when you are "enlightened" :lol:

Give me an example of Biblical politics. I will wait right here. :taptap:
Ug, my weakness. Come to my rescue 2A.:banghead:

Pete

Repete
BuddyLee said:
I'll get back to you after I've finished reading the bible.:tap:
I am 41 so you might want to put a push on it :yay:

In the meantime I want you to write : "I will not attempt to pose intellectual questions, engage in arguments and make statements of fact when I don't know what I am talking about." 100 times on the chalk board.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Pete said:
:lmao: I have to get through all these pesky social contract theorists before I can even think about having enough time for something as lenghty as the bible.

Pete

Repete
BuddyLee said:
:lmao: I have to get through all these pesky social contract theorists before I can even think about having enough time for something as lenghty as the bible.
In the meantime I want you to write : "I will not attempt to pose intellectual questions, engage in arguments and make statements of fact when I don't know what I am talking about." 100 times on the chalk board.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
Buddy, you must have had a reason why you said the Bible is political. What was it? :confused:
Basically this:

BuddyLee said:
3. How is the bible not political? You could define politics as the authoritative designation of values for a society. The bible contains story after story of how one should act, does this not carry into society as a whole? If we are taught to follow the bible, aren't our own morals and beliefs derived (at least partly) from that very book. Isn't our community and society in which we live based on those beliefs? The bible offers many guidelines, some more controversial than others; this is where some may differ in opinion. Which values do we want to suggest for our community and society? What is the greatest good for us? This all boils down to politics as I see it.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
If your church believes in the bible and you believe in the bible won't you apply those 'sacred' beliefs into every aspect of your life? I mean, belief begets some sort of faith in those beliefs. I'm sure there are political sections within the bible, however, I can also see it's beliefs trickling down into our social and political world.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
If your church believes in the bible and you believe in the bible won't you apply those 'sacred' beliefs into every aspect of your life? I mean, belief begets some sort of faith in those beliefs. I'm sure there are political sections within the bible, however, I can also see it's beliefs trickling down into our social and political world.
I think that politics can be a religion for some, but I never thought of it the other way around.

Interesting...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And I ask again...

...what issues?

BuddyLee said:
...issues dealt with what Mrs. King herself dealt with in her lifetime I would be fine with that. However, I think other NAACP type issues were dealt with in an inaccordant nature.

I guarantee you that the Rev. Lowery and Senior Che Carter would claim that the issues they raised were preciesly the issues Dr. King and his wife dealt with. Do you honestly think they don't see it that way?

It's the tactic of presumption and that is exactly what I am trying to call them out on; everyone knows that W is an evil doer wire tapping good old honest Americans just like what happened to Dr. King...

Everyone knows that W doesn't like black people because it took him 15 minutes longer for him to react to Katrina than a President who liked black people...

That is EXACTLY what Dr. King fought against! He would instantly recognize W as a man of character. He would remind Lowery and Carter and Kanye of men with water hoses and dogs being rather different than a man who brought billions of dollars in relief a few days later than some would have liked to a natural disater.

He would have them see the spying on of a man working to incite peace as rather different than the spying on of men who seek to incite global conflict.

Mrs. Kings funeral was to be a celebration of her life, of where she and we were and where she ended and where we are today.

It is nothing short of criminal to make the arguments made by these people in light of the reality of Mrs. Kings life and in light of the reality of where we are as a people, nevermind how much hate Lowery and Carter and the rest see or want YOU to see.

MLK would be ashamed of them and so would his wife. Unless, of course, you take Lowery and Carters position and King was no more than they are and would see things as they do; race hustlers.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
BuddyLee said:
Basically this:

If your church believes in the bible and you believe in the bible won't you apply those 'sacred' beliefs into every aspect of your life? I mean, belief begets some sort of faith in those beliefs.

I'm sure there are political sections within the bible, however, I can also see it's beliefs trickling down into our social and political world.
So Buddy, just how much of the Bible have you read? Can you post a few excerpts that portray, or depict political philosopy in there?

Just wondering.

ylexot

Super Genius
BuddyLee said:
Basically this:

My parents were very political...they told me that drinking milk would make me big and strong.

Absurd isn't it? Just because something (i.e. religion) shapes ones views which they then apply to politics, it doesn't mean that the "something" is political.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
Ug, my weakness. Come to my rescue 2A.:banghead:
Can't do it. I do not believe the Bible is political. Our church specifically refrains from political recommendations from the pulpit. Our church does not shy away from Biblical truth; abortion is murder therfore sin, homosexual behavior is sin, theft is sin, Jesus is the only way to salvation. These are not political issues; they are moral issues. They only become political as government tries to impose certain positions on moral issues. Obviously our legal system is an outgrowth from moral issues, but because moral issues are in the Bible or discussed in church does not make the Bible or a church political.

When a pastor steps over the line into politics, they are wrong to do so. There is a vast difference between teaching that abortion is sin, sin is wrong, and people need to repent from sin and accept salvation through Jesus, and "preaching" that the Democratic party is from satan because it endorses abortion.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Pete said:
It only takes a year to read the Bible if you read three verses each week day and six verses each Saturday and Sunday.

It is amazing the the Bible ranks near the top if not number one in book sales worldwide and is probably the least read book. Almost every household has at least one Bible. Almost no one reads the Bible cover to cover and that includes ministers.

So many people say, "The Bible says ...", when it says no such thing, or take verses out of context to prove a point when the verses in context prove just the opposite. Even ministers are guilty of that practice.