Pramila Jayapal More Ignorance From The Squad

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Average check is around $1k a year, largest ever was $1600 I think. Not exactly a reason to move to Alaska. Pretty sure you would pay more than that in milk/toilet paper. And have you seen their meat prices? There's a reason damn near every person in AK hunts.
One year it was 3k if you were in the military and claimed AK as your permanent residence

DaSDGuy

When politicians or pundits call for people to pay their fair share, I wish they would define in objective terms their definition of "fair share". They never seem to be able to quantify what "fair" is other than "more".

But let's apply this to members of Congress first. How about taxing the 535 members of Congress at the fair rate equal to the highest tax rate they subject anyone else. Every dollar of a CongressCritter's pay is subject to the highest rate. Every dollar of their wealth is taxed at the highest rate. Every dollar of capital gains is taxed at the highest rate. I think that's fair. Hey members of Congress, see it's easy to quantify what "fair" means.
While you are at it, take away their fat pension for serving one term and make them pay social security like the rest of us. If they want a retirement account they can pay into a 401k from their own paycheck like we do too.

Rommey

While you are at it, take away their fat pension for serving one term and make them pay social security like the rest of us. If they want a retirement account they can pay into a 401k from their own paycheck like we do too.
With the exception of a few in Congress that may have been in before 1984, members of Congress are covered under FERS and they pay into Social Security.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Jayapal Claims Social Media Promotes Disinformation, Calls Marjorie Taylor Greene Suspension ‘A Little Too Little And A Little Too Late’

Others cheered Greene’s removal from Twitter as well. Ana Navarro, CNN contributor and regular host of ABC’s “The View,” shared an article about Greene’s permanent suspension with the comment, “2022 is showing promise.”

“Star Trek” actor George Takei appeared to agree, adding, “Marjorie Three Names has been suspended from Twitter, and 2022 is already off to a decent start.”

CNN fact-checker Daniel Dale noted that despite the suspension of Greene’s personal Twitter account, her official congressional account has not been suspended.

Tech

With the exception of a few in Congress that may have been in before 1984, members of Congress are covered under FERS and they pay into Social Security.
Plus have 20 years and be 50 to get an immediate check.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Before WW1 there was no income tax. Almost exclusively the treasury was funded by tariffs.

PeoplesElbow

It's a common misconception, but they have the same benefits as any government employee now.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Plus have 20 years and be 50 to get an immediate check.
For the "immediate check" one needs 5 years if 62, 20 years if 60, or 30 years if at MRA (If you retire at the MRA with at least 10, but less than 30 years of service, your benefit will be reduced by 5 percent a year for each year you are under 62, unless you have 20 years of service and your benefit starts when you reach age 60 or later).

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
‘The Rich Want To Be Taxed’

The 102 signees represented 0.00045% of the millionaires in the United States and 0.00018% of the millionaires in the world. Among the signees were Disney heirs Abigail Disney and Tim Disney.

At the end of last year, Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk paid $11 billion in taxes — the most of any individual in American history. In response, Jayapal argued that he was nevertheless failing to fork over his “fair share.”

“Elon Musk made $36 BILLION in one day, but wants to brag about paying an $11 billion tax bill,” Jayapal said on Twitter. “Oh yeah, he also added more than $270 BILLION in wealth just since the pandemic started. Time for the rich to pay their fair share.”

I'm sure anyone of these Millionaires wanting to be taxed more, can stroke a check to their Local Gov.

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
‘The Rich Want To Be Taxed’

The 102 signees represented 0.00045% of the millionaires in the United States and 0.00018% of the millionaires in the world. Among the signees were Disney heirs Abigail Disney and Tim Disney.

At the end of last year, Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk paid $11 billion in taxes — the most of any individual in American history. In response, Jayapal argued that he was nevertheless failing to fork over his “fair share.”

“Elon Musk made $36 BILLION in one day, but wants to brag about paying an $11 billion tax bill,” Jayapal said on Twitter. “Oh yeah, he also added more than $270 BILLION in wealth just since the pandemic started. Time for the rich to pay their fair share.”

I'm sure anyone of these Millionaires wanting to be taxed more, can stroke a check to their Local Gov.

If they want to be taxed, more power to them. If they actually want to be a force for good, bypass the government. Really government doesn't do very many things well or on budget, take over and fund the functions of a department. You think HUD can be better, put together a bunch of people and a pot of money and give it a try. How about funding a couple of F-15's or JSF's?

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE

he comment came after Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) — another progressive lawmaker — denounced Musk earlier this month for “freeloading off everyone else” and benefiting from “the rigged tax code.” Musk replied to Warren: “And if you opened your eyes for 2 seconds, you would realize I will pay more taxes than any American in history this year.”

Jayapal chimed in by saying that Musk should have paid more.

“Elon Musk made $36 BILLION in one day, but wants to brag about paying an $11 billion tax bill,” said Jayapal. “Oh yeah, he also added more than $270 BILLION in wealth just since the pandemic started. Time for the rich to pay their fair share.”

Never Enough For Those Unfavored By Authoritarians

She is just pissed because she can't get reimbursed for h

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Are There Really So Many Millionaires Who Want to Pay More Taxes?

I know hundreds of multimillionaires and plenty of billionaires and conducted in-depth interviews with 45 of them for my doctoral dissertation, The Wealth Elite. But I have yet to meet anyone who felt they weren’t paying enough tax. The 100 millionaires and billionaires from nine countries who have signed the latest letter asking to pay more tax might sound a lot, but there are 2,755 billionaires around the world.

There are more than 20 million millionaires in the world, so 100 is equivalent to 0.0005 percent. These are the postmen who bite dogs.

In many cases, the signatories are heirs who have not earned the money themselves and who now (for whatever reason) have guilty consciences and feel the urge to tell everyone that they want to pay more tax. Sometimes it is the super-rich who have long since feathered their own nests. While the voices of anti-capitalists such as George Soros and Warren Buffett, who vehemently argue for the rich to pay higher taxes, can be heard loudly, those who believe that taxes are far too high rarely speak out in public.

“The public silence of most billionaires,” report Benjamin Page and Martin Gilens, two left-leaning political scientists who are themselves highly critical of the rich, in their book Democracy in America, “contrasts markedly with the willingness of a small, unusual group of billionaires – including Michael Bloomberg, Warren Buffett, and Bill Gates – to speak out about specific public policies … All three have favored a substantial social safety net, progressive taxes, and moderate regulation of the economy. An ordinary American who tried to judge what U.S. billionaires think and do about politics by listening to Bloomberg, Buffett, or Gates would be badly misled.”

BOP

In all my life, I've never given a tinker's damn about rich folks and how much money they have, or what they spend it on. That includes the people I rented from, worked for, or even a few that I knew personally. It also includes the odd relative or two, but even they weren't uber-rich.

I don't have much good to say about my biological father, but among the things that he grilled into me, starting at a very young age:
  1. the world doesn't owe you chit;
  2. if you want to get ahead in life, you have to be willing to work your ass off. Nobody is going to hand it to you if you're not willing to go after it;
  3. life isn't phucking fair. If you don't like it, too bad. Get over yourself.

BOP

An ordinary American who tried to judge what U.S. billionaires think and do about politics by listening to Bloomberg, Buffett, or Gates would be badly misled.”
Bloomberg, Buffett, Gates, and people like them are attention whores, as far as I can tell. And they like stirring chit up.

Like leftists everywhere, they are unwilling to put their money where their mouths are. They want the substantial burden to be on the middle class and the working poor, not on them personally.

Oh, to be sure, they have charities and causes they give to. Take away the tax deduction aspect, and let's see if they're still that charitable.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Bloomberg, Buffett, Gates, and people like them are attention whores, as far as I can tell. And they like stirring chit up.

Today the could GIVE all their accumulated wealth to the Gov and walk away, keeping a couple mil in cash to live in a small modest house somewhere

But they don't

glhs837

Power with Control

See, heres the fallacy of that statement. Your stocks increasing in value are not the same as making that amount of money unless you sell.

25 billion "lost" just this last week. Its all nebulous value unless you cash it in. And when its Tesla, it ping pongs all over the place. Always trends up over time, but also has huge lows to go with the highs.

Oh, and its actually 50 billion over the last few weeks.

But you can be damn sure Miss P wouldnt give him a refund on the taxes he paid on the 36 billion he "made" earlier.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
25 billion "lost" just this last week.

Yeah if the Progressives in Congress want to TAX a person on this ' perceived ' NON Realized Wealth will the Gov also issue a refund or tax deduction for a loss in Value when the stock price falls

glhs837

Power with Control
Will the Gov also issue a refund or tax deduction for a loss in Value Ywhen the stock price falls